Swinger's Diner

Contact 310-393-9793

802 Broadway (at Lincoln Blvd), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Retro diner decor and atmosphere. Has vegan nachos, veggieburgers, and other diner type fast foods. Offers agave nectar as sweetener option. Parking in back of restaurant. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 7:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Great, quirky diner with vegan options galore! - Edit

We're big fans of Swingers. It's a step above your average diner, and has lots of vegetarian and vegan options! We usually get tea and decaf coffee, but I've seen some great-looking milkshakes and fancier coffees ordered and look delicious as well. Depending on the day, service can be slower or quicker, but it usually correlates with a lot of customers vs. not, rather than poor service. We've got a handful of times now and have enjoyed the same three things each time. We've shared:

- Avocado Toast - Simple and great! Two thick, seedy crusted half pieces of bread (each a good size), slathered with a thick, smooth layer of avocado, olive oil and chili flakes. We've had avocado toast with nothing on it and thick hunks of avocado to avocado toast so full toppings are falling off. This is probably one of our favorites with perfectly crispy and thick bread and just the right amount of avocado. The chili flakes are a nice added pinch of heat without being overwhelming.

- Tofu Chilaquiles - So much flavor! Almost looks like scrambled egg whites in terms of texture. Sautéed tofu mixed with corn, black beans and peppers. Really flavorful, while again not having too much spice. Served with blue corn chips and tortillas (corn or flour).

- Spinach and Mushroom Omelet - This is simply executed too, but has very good seasoning, which makes it standout to other omelets I've had. Good amount of spinach and mushrooms throughout and almost a basil flavor to it as well. We get fruit rather than potatoes on the side for +$1. Fruit is fresh and varied. My fiancé usually enjoys the sourdough toast that comes with it too. It comes unbuttered rather than soaked in it, so you can choose how much you like.

Overall it's clean, generally pretty quick and solid food. Good breakfast option for reasonable prices!

Good vegan options - Edit

On a recent road trip my husband and I needed a place for breakfast that opened early and I found Swingers. It turns out they server everything on their menu all the time and they label the items on their menu that are vegetarian and vegan. We are vegan, I had the whole grain banana pancakes and my husband got the soyrizo breakfast burrito. The pancakes were so moist and flavorful and delicious. The portion was really nice, I was not still hungry when I was done. My husband also enjoyed his breakfast burrito. We come to the LA area with Omni friends and I think this would be a great place that we would all enjoy. Next time I think my husband wants to try to the sloppy joe sandwich. I was happy to find a veg friendly restaurant that lives up to that title.

Pros: Vegan Pancakes all day, Friendly staff

Cons: No vegan bacon

Okay, casual - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Swinger's Diner review. I've only eaten here twice, both times with friends, including non-vegetarians. They seemed to like it just fine.

It's diner style food and decor with booth seating and bar seating. The decor is interesting and colorful, a bit retro.

For vegans and vegetarians there are wraps, a couple sandwiches, and usually a vegan soup. I think the food was decent but not memorable. Oh, I hear that they sometimes offer a vegan cinnamon roll (haven't been back to try it though). With so many pure vegetarian and vegan choices in Santa Monica, Swingers is just not on my list of go-to. But it's veg friendly enough and you can come with non-veg friends.

Lots of options - Edit

I thought this place was great for vegetarians. Lots of options on the menu; i really couldn't decide what to have! As i wasn't that hungry i ordered the Veggie Joe but it was massive! I also ate some of the falafel from my boyfriends Greek Platter and thought they were great. I would love to go again and try more veggie options!

As i'm originally from the UK, a place like this was a nice refreshing change. (In the UK this sort of diner would have very limited options for vegetarians) There are even vegan cakes and muffins which looked really nice.

Pros: Huge choice, Delicious food , Good value

Was NOT impressed - Edit

The vegan options were less than impressive, the veggie burger fell apart and looked like it was made in a haste, and unless you know someone that works there, they pretty much neglect to wait on you. I wouldn't come here again, not for the snobby atmosphere or mediocre food.

Pros: Location, Hours

Cons: Establishment, Service, Prices

Good with other people - Edit

As I had a non-vegan friend in town for business, we chose to go to the diner as it also had vegan options for me (and it's next door to a wine bar we were going to). We had a somewhat early dinner, so it wasn't crowded at all yet. The noise level definitely increased the longer we were there and more people showed up. It's a grab a menu and seat yourself kind of place. Definitely a diner and their menu covered lots of different options. There was a vegan option (or two) listed under each category like starters, breakfast, sandwiches, salads, entrees, etc. I went with the vegan nachos and my friend had the Mediterranean platter. They were pretty basic, but filled us up before going to have some wine. The soyrizo on the nachos was a nice touch, but it seemed like the "cheese" was just some semi-melted Tofutti slices. I have no idea why they don't use Daiya or something. The service was friendly and adequate. I probably won't ever be back on my own, but it works if you are with non-vegans as there is something for everyone.

Pros: good with other people, diner food

Cons: serves meat, dairy and eggs

Vegan options on a dinner menu = :) - Edit

I ate here with some friends late one night in October 2007. I was so happy to see vegan options clearly labeled on a diner menu. I had the quinoa salad which had orange juice squeezed on top... yum! I also had the vegan cookies. (Yes, that is right, you can get vegan cookies at a dinner!) This place is great for when you are out with your friends that aren't vegan and it is way after the vegan restaurants have closed. Also, while I love RFD and find the price to be worth it my non-vegan friends in LA do not share this opinon. I'll probably end up going here again the next time I am in Santa Monica.

Pros: vegan options at a dinner, this includes vegan cookies, open late

Mostly Vegetarian

Contributions +23

So Fun! - Edit

I only gave this four cows since it wouldn't let me do five. I would've never even thought to check this place out had I not seen the reviews here. There aren't a TON of vegan options, but just enough to find something you like. I personally became addicted to the Greek Platter (just ask for no cheese on the salad). They also have vegan cookies. The decor is really funky & fun, with purple cows painted on the walls! It's basically a welcome change from the usual mellow vegan places I dine at. The servers were awesome as well and even though I don't live too close to Santa Monica, I intend to eat here again & again.

Pros: service, pita & hummus, funky decor

Cons: limited parking

Good Place for Late Night or Daytime Vegan Options - Edit

I went to this place after a concert very late at night [I also went a second time during the day]. I agree that it is loud, and the food is so so, but I would go back again [I already have ;)]. The Vegan Wrap and their version of the Veggie Burger were pretty good! If anything, the atmosphere is worth it.

get your late night vegan on! - Edit

This place is LOUD. The food is soso, but hey, its late at night and you want some vegan food so options are slim. If you're into loud music with your vegan burrito then this place is for you. I seriously had to wear ear plugs last time I was in there. Everyone is very nice and vegan friendly. If you're a vegan in LA you MUST put this place in your memory banks, it comes in handy when your with a group of drunks that are hungry and you don't want to suffer at a non vegan establishment.

Pros: open late

Cons: loud

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Swinger's Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.