CLOSED: Sweetwater Inn

1-60 Bray Street, South Yarra, Victoria, 3141

Serves meat, vegan options available. Food and beer place. A lot of meat but also offers a selection of labeled vegan items like vegan prawns, vegan calamari salad, vegan drumsticks, vegan rissole sandwich, vegan fish and chips, and vegan chowder. Be warned that the fryer & frying batter is also used for meat. NOV 2015 REPORTED SHUT BY COW MEMBER. Open Tue-Thu 4:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, Australian, Non-veg

First Review by Aloo

Exceptional food - Edit

My husband and I ate here for a celebratory weeknight dinner recently.

We started with the vegan nuggets to share. I'm not sure why they were called nuggets, they were more like BBQ ribs (minus any bone) and they were incredible. I commented to my (omni) husband this was the best mock meat I'd eaten, and it was making me suspicious, to which he replied that the texture was clearly off. So delicious - yes, realistic - depends on how long you've been veg...

I then had the pulled mushroom "lamb" for my main (it comes with your choice of 2 sides) and it was also took me to a food-induced happy place.

While I occasionally eat mock meat out of laziness or to satisfy a craving, I almost inevitably find mock-meat dishes to be disappointing; they're never as good as a naturally meat-free meal. The food here does not fit that pattern, it really was exceptional.

Only downsides were that the music was loud enough to make conversation difficult, and although there was dessert on the online menu, there wasn't any available on the day we were there.

I highly recommend this place, especially if you're eating with a mixed group and you can't justify dragging one or more omnis to an all-veg place (again).

Pros: Amazing food, Cheap for the quality, Extensive clearly marked vegan options

Cons: Loud music

exceptional service - Edit

My partner and I ate here on a very busy Saturday night. Despite how busy it was, staff ensured our table was ready when booked and provided absolutely exceptional customer service throughout the evening - the likes of which one rarely finds in Australia these days. We dealt with four different staff members on the night and all were very attentive, friendly and made a real effort to please. The staff could answer all questions about the vegan menu and were even able to advise on vegan wine options. We shared the vegan lamb and chicken dishes and thoroughly enjoyed them both. The staff and menu selection is a credit to the owner.

Pros: exceptional customer service, vegan menu

Cons: unisex toilet causes line up through res

Great for Mock Meats - Edit

Great range of vegan options. If you like "mock meats" then you'll like this place but if you don't they they won't have much to offer you. The smoked BBQ chicken was great, good texture and great smoky taste. Pineapple and banana fritters with ice cream for desert was total junk food, all sweet and greasy at the same time but awesomely taste for it.

Staff were all on the ball. Bar itself has a good feel to it, pretty laid back. Ideal if you are going to be eating with non-vegan people or are just craving pub food.

Mix it up a little - Edit

Sweetwater Inn was a fun place to visit. Good for when you are dining with no-veg*ns, it keeps everyone happy.
Yes, there is a lot of meaty options, but many things are vegan optional or vegan. Food options for vegans were different, such as curried sausages and chip buttie, and that's a good thing for variety. Service was non-intrusive, yet attentive. Prices are reasonable and definetly would recommend for a night out with friends - where no-one has to compromise. Try the cheesecake - nice way to end the evening.

Pros: Vibe, Menu options marked and many, Service

Cons: they don't do tea or coffee

Return to South Yarra Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sweetwater Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.