Sweet Grass Grill

Contact 914-631-0000

24 N Main St (at Music Hall), Tarrytown, New York, USA, 10591

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant with bar, intimate candle-lit setting in the evening. Marks the vegan choices. Brunch menu on weekends. Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by JeffGrippe

Excellent Food, Portions a bit Miserly - Edit

I found this restaurant on HappyCow. I was delighted as it is only about 5 minutes from Kykuit, the Rockefeller house/gardens in Sleepy Hollow, that we had toured in the morning. Food was quite good, and the fact that they offer excellent, innovative choices for vegetarians is laudable. However, portions were very small especially for prices charged. I would return when I am in the area because the food really was good, but I would suggest portions are increased. I am very much a quality-over-quantity person, but at a certain point, people feel ripped off when the portion sizes are so small, read child-sized Strawberry cake dessert was excellent as was the gazpacho and the chickpea fritters. Again, however, portion size for all three items was not at all adequate. (I would give 5 stars if portions were normal for a place of this calibre.)

Pros: innovative vegetarian offerings, nice dessert selection

Cons: portion size, bathroom soap situation needs to be monitored bett

Sunday Brunch/Lunch - Edit

My husband and I stopped into Sweetgrass during Sunday brunch/lunch time. The vegan items have a very small V next to them so look closely or else you might miss it! Over half of the items were denoted (v) Vegan or (vp) Vegan Possible so we had tons of selection including a choice of tofu scramble for breakfast! Our waiter also seemed very knowledgeable about what items were vegan or not and let us know that the complimentary muffins they bring to the table contained animal products so we asked him to hold those back. Along with all of the menu items they also had a variety of fresh pressed juices, which I didn't try. We ended up ordering off of the lunch menu. I ordered the buffalo tempeh and my husband got the quinoa burger. The buffalo tempeh came with vegan blue cheese and tasted amazing! I don't even usually like tempeh! The quinoa burger was also really yummy although the side of wheat salad I choose I would skip since both my husband and I disliked the sweet orange flavor. The quinoa burger was really good but not my favorite.

Some other notables would be that they carry vegan cheddar cheese and will top your burger with it for an extra $1. Lunch/Brunch at Sweetgrass isn't cheap but I would certainly come back and bring my friends and family here.

Pros: Atmosphere, Lots of vegan options, Vegan Cheese/Mayo

Cons: Pricey

Charming spot with vegan options - Edit

I've had the Philly "cheese steak" and buffalo tempeh- both worth the visit and the price. This is our go-to brunch spot. I reccomend making reservations as Tarrytown is a popular spot for those who live in and out of town (especially on the weekends) also a great spot to stop in and sit at the bar. I've always had knowledgable and friendly service
Also a nice place to meet up with non-veg friends as they have options for everyone. Menu tends to change
seasonally
The website won't let me choose five stars, so settling for four!

Pros: Delicious , Great town with lots of options , Very accommodating

Cons: Gets busy, Parking can be tough on weekends , One he pricier side, but worth it

Classy - Edit

Great place for both veg and meat-eaters alike. My boyfriend and I took my parents here and we were all very impressed, though I do wish there was a bit more offered for gluten-free vegans. Cute date spot.

Pros: Classy atmosphere, drinks, delicious food

Elegant atmosphere and pleasing food - Edit

I took family members to Sweetgrass Grill and they were pleased with the vegetarian selections. I enjoyed my Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie; especially the sauce, and my relative enjoyed her Carrot Ginger Soup and Quinoa Salad. I had a bite of the quinoa and it was delish. The servers were pleasant and casual. Not cheap, but worth it. On Mondays, they have a Meatless Monday selection.

Pros: Tasty food, Elegant atmosphere, Meatless Mondays

Cons: Bit expensive, Need rez

Okay but Dissappointing - Edit

We had to be in Tarrytown late and couldn't have dinner until after 9 and while there are not many Vegan options especially at that hour I was hoping the Sweetgrass Grill was going to be better than it was. I was wrong. My husband's black bean burger was of good size and tasted pretty good it seemed prepackaged, as did the the french fries. I only know about the fries because I ordered a daily special the Vegetable Napoleon. It was so small it should have been a single serving appetizer I had to be happy with eating french fries off my husband's plate. The Napoleon was very good, fresh ingredients, a great idea but it was just a couple of slices of zucchini and a piece of fried eggplant on top a tomato reduction. I hardly think it was worth the $18 that we paid for it.

Pros: friendly staff, Good Coffee

Cons: VERY LOUD ROOM, Uneven food quaility

Not a veg restaurant but a lot of good veg options - Edit

On the several times that I've been there, the were always between 30 and 50 percent of the menu dedicated to veg options. This place will give you food for both the veg and non-veg eater.

Both the Vegetables Wellington and the Veg Shepard's Pie were really good. There is also a special 'Meatless Monday' menu that has interesting dishes which change from week to week.

Because it across the street from the Tarrytown Music Hall, it is a very convenient place to go before a concert.

Pros: Interesting Food, Good Beer Selection

Return to Tarrytown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Grass Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1965 times since Jun 2012.