Sweet Tomatoes

Contact 407-869-5550

474 W State Rd 436 (at Montgomery Rd), Altamonte Springs, Florida, USA, 32714

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of salad bar buffet chain. All-you-can eat spread include fresh greens and salads, baked potatoes, soups, desserts, and more.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Stampingirl

Terrible - Edit

I was really excited when, while out for a motorcycle ride, my friend suggested we stop in at Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. He was on a gluten free diet and I'm vegan, so it was the only place that could really accommodate us both. He told me it was a salad buffet place and I was instantly excited to go. When I got in I saw a good selection, but as I got to the selections, there weren't many vegan options. I made do with what I could get, but it ended up tasting very bland. The vegetables I could only assume were frozen or had been sitting in a fridge for a while, the greens were not crisp or flavorful, and there were no vegan dressings other than olive oil and vinegar; and you could tell it was the bulk bought cheap stuff. I don't live in Orlando anymore, but if I did, I wouldn't go back here.

I've heard there are good Sweet Tomatoes locations that are better and more vegan friendly, but this location isn't one I'd recommend.

Nice Salad Bar - Other Options Are Just Ok - Edit

The best feature at Sweet Tomatoes is their salad bar. Each time we have visited the salad is fresh, I wish there were more salad dressing options that did not have dairy in them. It is sometimes a disapointment when the soup selections are not vegan-friendly, there is no way to know which they are serving until after you have paid for your salad. They also offer fruit, pastas, baked potatoes, and bread options.

Pros: Great Salad Bar, Fresh Vegetables

Not so great for vegans, but great for vegetarians - Edit

Sweet Tomatoes is *amazing* for vegetarians, but really not worth the money if you're vegan. They have a rotating menu of items, so you could end up with nothing but a dressing-less salad and a dry baked potato if you go at the wrong time. Definitely check the menu online before going if you're vegan. Sometimes you can get lucky with a seasonal menu, but that's the exception, not the rule.

They'll usually have at least 1 vegetarian soup on the bar (I've seen as many as 3), but they only rarely have a vegan one. They have a yummy vegan chili, but they only have it a couple times a year. They usually only have 1 salad dressing that's vegan (and it's a vinaigrette, which I personally don't like).

Personally, I hope they'll add more vegan items in the future. But if you eat dairy/eggs, you'll be in heaven there!

Pros: lots of vegetarian options

Cons: not much vegan

Yummy! - Edit

We love taking our friends (all vegan) here for lunch. Freshest salad anywhere (take as many trips back to the salad bar as you would like) with Jicama, romaine, spinach, sunflower seeds, you name it, it's there. We eat around the eggs, cheese, etc. There is always at least one or two veggie options for soups, a sweet potato and white potato bar, delicious whole grain bread (you can buy a loaf to take home). There is also at least one veggie pasta (usually with cheese sauce of some kind) and pizza focaccia, garlic focaccia, and four kinds of muffins (or more.) We never leave hungry.

Pros: fresh food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Cons: can be noisy, tempting to eat too much

Return to Altamonte Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Tomatoes closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 963 times since Nov 2007.