Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe

Contact 502-899-2008

1804 Frankfort Ave (at Pope St), Louisville, Kentucky, USA, 40206

A bakery that also serves vegetarian lunch Tue-Sat 11am-2pm, which includes soups, sandwiches, and specials. Vegans need to specify.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by remy

extra sweet, big hunks o' cake - Edit

Sweet Surrender typically has one vegan cake option at a time. The portions are huge, with a lot of very-sweet icing. I've definitely had tastier desserts, but they've always been good here. I like that they're open in the evening, and have non-dairy options for their coffee as well.

I had high hopes... - Edit

I was disappointed at Sweet Surrender. I had really been looking forward to a sweet treat after a long week in Louisville. They didn't have many vegan choices the day I went. We went with a chocolate cupcake and a carrot cupcake. Both seemed very dry and the frosting was sickeningly sweet - and this is from someone who loves sweets. The cupcakes came out of the fridge and seemed like they might have been old.

Pros: Good idea in theory

Cons: Not many vegan choices, Dry cupcakes, Frosting waaaayyy too sweet

High Expectations Fell Flat - Edit

My Omnivore friend and I came here to do a little secret shopping. I'd emailed her before my visit saying that she was one of two contenders to cater at my wedding. With a beautiful online gallery of previous wedding cakes, and pretty store front, and wonderful happycow reviews, I expected heaven.

I tried three things: a slice of three layer vegan cake, a green tea cupcake, and their no bake cookie. My omnivore friend ordered a chocolate chip cookie and their cookie sandwich.

Vegan cake: The bread texture was weird. The frosting was...interesting but thick. Is this what fondant is like? The flavors were so subtle I had trouble picking them up at all.

Vegan no bake cookie: This was not amazing. I could make something similar or better at home.

Vegan Green Tea Cupcake: First lick of frosting led me to believe that it would save this place from getting a completely awful review. Second lick brought me an aftertaste of granular grass. The bread was of the same odd texture.

Honestly, I didn't eat most of anything I ordered. I brought it home to my fiance who WILL EAT ANYTHING. And he even thought it was weird.

My omnivore friend:
Thought the quality of the cookie was that of store bought, like chips ahoy.

The frosting inside her cookie sandwich was tasteless. She scraped most of it off onto her plate.

Very disappointing. I will not return, and she will not cater my wedding no matter how pretty her cakes are. Taste is far more important!

Pros: Pretty store, quiet

Cons: taste, quality

Excellent desserts - Edit

Haven't had the lunch, but their vegan desserts are incredible. Various cupcakes and cake are rich, moist, and extremely delicious. Also SS is a nice place to hang-out and get coffee, use wifi, etc. Totally recommend this place.

Pros: vegan-friendly, location, cupcakes!

Great cakes! Yum - Edit

They made a special birthday cake for my son's first birthday w/o eggs that was delicious. I have also seen other special diet items on the menu - cake and cookies.

Pros: nice atmosphere, all good, wireless internet

Cons: not open mondays

Return to Louisville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2922 times since Oct 2007.