CLOSED: Sweet Pea Natural Foods Cafe

Contact 802-496-7763

5031 Main St (at Village Square), Waitsfield, Vermont, USA, 05673

In early 2014 this market cafe & juice bar changed its menu to be fully plant-based. Offers hot foods and organic salad bar with also soups and sandwiches, sprouted grain baked goods and crusty breads. Confirmed closed December 2016. Open Tue-Sat 10:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by AngelaD

Now fully vegan! - Edit

We recently visited Sweet Pea to pick up a snack, and in walking through the small market noticed that everything appeared to be vegan. In discussing with the owner he verified that the market and cafe has been 100% for several months now. They have a small natural foods market (I guess it doesn't have to be huge if they don't sell any animal products), some pre-made foods (think General Tso's Tofu, lasagne, etc.), sandwiches, some hot foods and juices/smoothies.

Since it was near closing time and we were just looking for a snack I can't comment about the food, other than to say the blueberry-lemon cheezecake was delicious! But the menu options look yummy, too. This is a great little post-ski stop in little Waitsfield. (Not open on Sundays, though.)

I want to give five cows, but am limited to four because it's classified as non-vegetarian.

Pros: All Vegan, Hot food , Groceries

Cons: Shortish hours

BEST VEGAN FOOD IN VERMONT! - Edit

I am not sure where the last reviewer ate but it had to be a different restaurant as I have a vacation home in Warren, VT and I eat 1-2 meals a day at Sweet Pea whenever I am in Vermont(10-12 times a year). I haver NEVER had a bad meal there. This is the only place I can say that about. The owners and staff go out of their way to make sure that everyone is comfortable and well taken care of. Sweet Pea reminds me of what all the small funky natural food stores used to be before they started to disappear. They have now added desserts to the mix, gluten free, vegan and delisous! Ask anyone in the Mad River Valley where to eat and they will most likely send you to Sweet Pea.

What happened?? - Edit

I've been traveling to vt for nearly 30 years and love to try the vegan food all along the way. I've been a fan of Sweet Pea for many, many years. (before they moved to their current location). Waitsfield is a great town situated near Montpelier on gorgeous, scenic route 100. Sadly the last few years their food has gone downhill. Last week I visited and their cafe food was obviously out all day and was crusty and dried up. The salad bar had a colony of fruit flies hanging out in it. It could have used a stiring up or cover at least. The baked food was also dissapointing. The cupcake I bought fell apart before I got home and I never got to eat it! Finally, (sorry sweet pea!) but the cafe counter help was kinda rude. the cashier was very very nice, but the chef on duty didn't speak to us and had zero people skills.
I hope you improve sweet pea!!! I'd love to put you back on my list of top vegan food stops in New England. Not sure I ll make the trip to Waitsfield next year ;-(

Pros: in a beautiful town, has vegan food, cashier is nice

Cons: Awkward chef, food not covered, fruit flies

Return to Waitsfield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sweet Pea Natural Foods Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.