Sweet Memories at Study Cafe

Contact 0191-2212323

69, Clayton Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Locally sourced and fair trade food in a relaxed atmosphere, art work on the walls. Has vegetarian and vegan dishes. Previously named Scrumpy Willow and the Singing Kettle. Open Tue-Wed 10:00am-6:00pm, Thu-Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm. Closed Mon.

Category: Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by hack_man

Welcoming atmosphere - Edit

Small cafe with a homely feel and friendly staff who are knowledgeable about the vegan options. I only had a dessert (vegan jelly and ice-cream) and coffee but the quality and value for money were good.

Pros: Friendly staff, Central location

Lovely place for vegan breakfast - Edit

They do a vegan cooked breakfast - beans, mushrooms, lentils, potato cake, tomato and toast. Lovely freshly squeezed orange juice as well plus coffee - but these are extra. Was grateful for this option as we could not get a vegan breakfast anywhere else on the day. They don't open until 10 and are closed on Mondays.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-14

Singing the right notes now - Edit

The Scrumpy Willow is perfectly located in the centre of Newcastle just a short walk from the train station and is somewhere I have ate in many times now. Now under new management the Scrumpy Willow has in my opinion become more vegetarian and vegan friendly offering a good selection of menu choices at affordable prices, although it still offers meat choices on the menu, which is a shame. Offering both a day and evening menu, food options include a vegi or vegan traditional breakfast, salads, soups, sandwiches, falafels, griddled polenta, daal, mezzes and the chefs special to name a few. I had the polenta, which was delicious. The daal is also well worth trying. Events also take place including regular poetry and music nights, which are very popular. The staff at Scrumpy Willow are very attentive and friendly and I have always found there to be a nice relaxing vibe whenever I have had the chance to go.

Pros: Vegi/Vegan Friendly, Nice Vibe & Location, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not 100% Vegi/Vegan

Lovely atmosphere, Vegetarian and Vegan friendly. - Edit

This is an omnivore eatery, but I'm a vegan and I had no problem finding a meal, there was a lot of choice. I had the toasted pitta with lentil dahl and a smoothie, both of which were lovely! A great little spot, would definitely pop in again.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 11, 2015

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 11, 2015

Pros: Good choices.., Lovely atmosphere/Good vibes.

Cons: Not completely veggie/vegan

Excellent place - Edit

I had the vegan cooked breakfast and found it absolutely delicious. The cake was also excellent, good range of teas, wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff. I would give it 5 stars if possible as I don't think the fact it had some meat options detracted from the lovely vegan options. One think to be aware of is that they don't take cards though.

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere

Cons: Don't take cards

Pleasant food and vibe! - Edit

I used to frequent this cafe when I lived in Newcastle. The environment is very relaxing, and we never used to feel rushed. My favourite, the falafel mains, are cooked to perfection - the only letdowns are the slow service and limited seating. Starving folks aside, I would recommend this place to fellow veggies.

Pros: Relaxing surroundings, Pleasant staff, Plenty of vegan options

Cons: Slow service, Lack of seating

Really pleasant cafe - Edit

Really nice, welcoming cafe with a calm atmosphere. Serves lots of vegan options with them clearly marked on the menu, including breakfasts, meze, gado gado, salads and dahl. I had the dahl with rice, which was very tasty, well spiced and quite a huge portion. A very pleasant experience and I'd definitely go back and recommend. They don't take cards so make sure you have cash on you.

Pros: Tasty food, Choice, Friendly

Cons: Cash only

awesome food - Edit

I just ate the vegan breakfast and drank a vegan milkshake there, it was incredible. It was certainly the best vegan breakfast I'd ever tasted! The puy lentils were so tasty, I will certainly be going again ASAP and would recommend it to anyone reasonable prices too. Loved it, so happy to find somewhere to eat in Newcastle town centre too.

Pros: excellent food, decent price, very friendly service

Cons: none

Quirky - Edit

Quirky but expensive, I like the houmous there its really good there are always a couple little scones or cakes to choose from that they make themselves too! and you can enjoy a glass of wine during the day too, alwasy a bonus.

Pros: unusual, differant, amazing dips

Cons: Expensive, staff r so-so

excellent vegan food - Edit

We have been many times and its great to find good vegan food in Newcastle city centre.
It could be improved with more vegan options.

Pros: great vegan food, great vegan beers and wine, friendly staff

Not my cup of green tea... - Edit

I feel like I may be being controversial about this, but I didn't much enjoy my meal at Scrumpy Willow. That is not to say I think it is a bad establishment but rather not to my tastes and probably not to others. If, like me, you are not fussed about organic you may feel the same. I found it uncomfortable even getting a drink as everything was "fancy", I couldn't get a normal lemonade or coke which is always a bit of a security blanket when trying new food. So I had a weird tasting bottle of pop, which looked lovely ad quaint but tasted...off and chose I think the falafel which was a bit tasteless but spicy at the same time, wasn't great and just felt a bit uncomfortable and dissatisfied throughout. However, that being said, if you like quaint, you're not a creature of habit about brands and you love organic then it's the place for you. For me I just felt it was a bit stereotypical veggie rather than real veggie.

Pros: Nice Vibe, Bit of a change, Pretty

Cons: Cramped, Not particularly good food, Not much choice

daily vegan soup - Edit

Serves meat, but has some vegan options (and vegan items are not common enough in Newcastle). Vegan soup every day, served with homemade bread, £3.85. I had a tasty, though very peppery, winter vegetable soup. It was very busy on a Sunday afternoon. Seating available also upstairs.

Pros: some vegan items

Yes, yes, yes - Edit

Went here with the other half for dinner on Tuesday 12th and breakfast Wednesday 13th. I had the falafal for dinner she had the dahl. The falafal was very good, everything was very fresh and had a well cooked, home made flavour. My only gripe was that after tasting my partner's amazing dahl I wished I'd ordered that too!

The service was excellent, very friendly and attentive without being overbearing.

We returned the next day to sample the vegan breakfast before getting the train home and were equally impressed with it. There was a really good balance between everything on offer, the potato cake, home made baked beans and home baked bread were outstanding.

Once again the service was excellent and our food arrived in ample time allowing us to savour it before heading off to the station.

Like the food, the atmosphere of the place is homely. It's not a slick, shiny chain restaurant, but that's not what we expected or wanted. I can't say I noticed the paint work and the restaurant was clean enough for me. It also seemed bright enough, though we sat by the window both times so this may not reflect the whole place.

Pros: fresh food, good variety, friendly staff

No, no, no - Edit

I was really looking forward to this, but was very disappointed.
Dark, dirty and not very friendly staff. Seriously needs a lick of paint & cleaned

We have the Vegan breakfast and was warm! not very tasty at all. the Potato cake was not cooked through, tomatoes had not seen a grill or a pan and the beans were tasteless, even though they had made them themselves.
Step it up guys very disappointed :(

Pros: Central location

Cons: Dirty, Cold food

Very nice atmosphere of organic vegetarian food - Edit

This restaurant has a nice atmosphere and serving. It uses as much organic grown ingredients as possible (as far as I saw). The vegetarian food was very good. You can drink also organic beer, and all sorts of juices.

Friendly staff. And good location.

What more could one want. Aa! It is also not much difference in prices from other restaurants, i.e., not too expensive. (But also not cheep like take-away and not too extravagant)

The bad thing about this restaurant, as HappyCow sees it, is that it has some meat dishes (fish, chicken). But one can just ignore them and indulge in the good vegetarian and organic choices.

Pros: organic, nice staff, good food

Cons: no local ails

Scrumptious Home Cooked Meal! - Edit

A wonderfully rustic atmosphere is guaranteed in all my visits to this intimate cafe. A refreshing selection of real ales, wines smoothies and lassis were available (as were mulled wine in November-December). Truly a little piece of heaven for veggies and non-veggies alike. Dishes were all flavoured well, adequate portions and all tasted delicious.
Loved the falafel!

Service times are inconsistent due to staffing but it may take over an hour on weekends (evenings). The total price for three of us for a two-course evening meal was approx. £40, which I feel is rather good value for money.

Pros: Good quality dishes, Cozy, Warm service

Cons: Cluttered with cushions, books etc, Lack of space, Not well ventilated on occasions

FANTASTIC - Edit

I had the pleasure of stumbling upon this lovely little cafe/restaurant, in a lovely georgian building. We were surprised to see that they also had a very good evening menu and served vegan friendly booze.

My younger brother went for a vegetarian breakfast, my mum vedgerie and I had a dahl. The dahl was beautiful - very flavoursome, it came in a pottery bowl and was topped with spinach leaves and a coconut topping, homemade bread on the side.

The place was busy and service was good - the food came up quickly.

In the evening the lights were turned low and we were shown to a table upstairs. A candle was lit and the ambiance was nice. We had a lovely bottle of english organic wine, which was surprisingly good.

I went for quinoa red grape salad for starters and then a polenta dish for main - the sauce was amazing! My mum went for sweet potato gnocchi and my brother the veggie crumble.

For dessert we had a vegan jelly ice cream, vegan apple crumble and banoffee pancakes.

I go there regularly now and would recommend this to anyone.

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff

Cons: small

Well I liked it - Edit

Unlike the review above I thought this place was great. The staff were friendly and the food beautiful. I had the passion cake too (with a vegan ice cream) and really enjoyed it (no lumps). Also had a great a very cheap vegan breakfast on another occassion, with all the yummy hot things you often miss out on. I much preferred to Bob Trollop.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, open long hours

Worst Veggie In The North East - Edit

food was horrible:
dahl completed burnt and seemed to be more along the lines of lets throw in whatever ingredients we have as opposed to what actually goes in a dahl
the vegan cake I had was similar. supposedly a chocolate cake but it had bits of fruit and nuts and ginger.. and no chocolate. There were also a few mouthfuls of pure bicarb of soda there. I don't know why the chef wanted his name put on the card next to it.

Seating:
the place is too small, they try to cram too many tables in so it has a cramped feeling and you're too close to the bar where the 2 (albeit very friendly) waitresses are run off their feet. which means the whole 'eating experience' is rather stressful. You satart worrying yourself about the clearing of table 2 or the milk pot for table 5!

Not the waitresses fault, the fault of the managment here: service is incredibly slow. Waited ages just for a tiny pot of dahl. It seems the kitchen staff wait till there have been enough orders of one meal and then prepare it, as opposed to who ordered first.

All in all, I would highly recommend you stay away. The food is just disgusting and mediocre.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: food, seating, slow service

Should be Veggie - Edit

Shame this place is not veggie, it has the right ambience, friendly staff and very importantly vegan cakes!! I don't understand why it just doesn't cut out the meat. Great vegeterian and good vegan choice, hot and cold drinks and cosy seating areas.

Pros: nice atmosphere

Cons: sells meat

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Memories at Study Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.