First Review by tawningham

Great Ice Cream - Edit

The ice cream is quite convincing, and although there are usually 1-2 vegan options, the options rotate, so you will always get something different.

Pros: great ice cream, freshly made

Cons: Limited vegan options

Disappointing - Edit

I had such high hopes for Sweet Melissa's. We were visitng the Farm Sanctuary in nearby Watkins Glen, and travelled to Ithaca for the day. I was so looking forward to trying some vegan ice cream here.
First, the place was incredibly difficult to find. It's within a deli/snack shop with no sign visible from the street, and no street number that we could see.
We drove by three times, and only saw it when we stopped in the parking lot to look it up online again.
After the ordeal of finding it, I discovered that there were only TWO flavours of vegan ice cream: coconut and blueberry & cardamom. Granted, I'm only one person and everyone has different tastes, but both of those are totally unappealing to me.
I think that by limiting it to only two unusual flavours, it plays into the 'vegan is weird' mentality, and few people are going to try them. And then they won't sell, and then it looks like there isn't a market for vegan ice cream.
Vegans love chocolate as much as everyone else... It may be boring, but it's ubiquitous because it's yummy! Give us chocolate! (I would have also been happy with vanilla, raspberry, caramel, strawberry, any variation of chocolate, hazelnut, pistachio....)
Needless to say, I didn't try either flavour, and we drove back to Watkins Glen and had vegan ice cream at The Colonial Pottery & Creamery. And it was super yummy.

Pros: none

Cons: impossible to find, very limited selection, only unusual flavours

Great vegan ice cream! - Edit

We've gone to Sweet Melissa's several times, while on vacation, the last 2 years. The prices are extremely reasonable for coconut milk ice cream and the owners are incredibly nice people. We can't wait to go this year.

Very good! - Edit

Their coconut milk icecream was fresh and creamy. It was a little pricey (around $4, I believe, for a medium) but worth it for the occasional indulgence.

Pros: fresh, delicious, homemade

Cons: pricey, location wasn't great

Return to Ithaca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Melissa's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1423 times since Dec 2011.