First Review by road2cairo

Delicious oasis in a city with freezers full of rotting corpse - Edit

Funky little place down by the railroad tracks that serves a wide variety of tantalizing, mouthwatering and creative concoctions for the weary traveler. If you are lucky enough to live in Laramie then you've got a House of Yums for almost every meal. Definitely recommend it…

Extensive Menu! Great Location! - Edit

I visited here while I was driving through Laramie. Excited to find a veggie/vegan diner on my travels!
I ordered a strawberry lemonade, chips and (cashew) cheez and the Jerk Seitan over jasmine rice. The drinnk, chips and cheez were great! The cashew cheez was so flavorful. I had never experienced Jerk anything before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It had a sweetness I wasn't prepared for so I'm not sure if I just didn't like it or if it was not what I thought it would be. The seitan was tasty, the veggies and rice were good as well. I took a piece of peanut butter pie to go. WOW - it was delicious!
The menu is clearly marked as to what is vegetarian, what has dairy and if something is vegan or can be made vegan. Great little place right near the railroad in downtown Laramie, which is super quaint and cute. Hope to be back sometime!
Only downside was there was only one bathroom and it's shared. No soap was in there either.

Pros: Location, Menu

Cons: Bathroom

All thumbs up! Great! - Edit

We had dinner there and it was awesome. Nearly all dishes are or can be made vegan. It is well located in the old city of laramie. Great place to go!

Pros: Mostly all dishes are vegan, Well located, Very friendly staff

Awesome place to eat! - Edit

This place is super cool. I want expecting to find a place that catered to vegans out here in WY and on top of that taste so good! The atmosphere in side is really cool and the staff are friendly. Most of the items on the menu can be converted to vegan. The prices are also cheap averaging around $9 and you get a pretty good portion. The place can hold its weight against big city vegan places. I think the hours were from 11am to 9pm M-S and closed on Sunday's.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options , Great tasting food

An Awesome Place - Edit

The tour bus broke down near Laramie and i thought i was doomed to eat over-ripe bananas from the truck stop all day, but after a quick search on Happy Cow i was stoked to discover Sweet Melissa a few miles down the road.

There's the restaurant at one side then a cool bar called Front Tavern on the other side. I had the Asian salad and veg stir fry with peanut sauce. It was delicious and all of my omnivore companions were happy with their meals as well. The food came out at the same time too, which for a party of seven was quite impressive.

The staff in both the restaurant and the bar were lovely, and the general atmosphere was laid back.

Sweet Melissa saved the day!

Pros: Friendly staff, good food, many vegan choices

Great lunch! - Edit

Travelling cross-country, we know to pull off in college towns to find healthy food. Melissa's Cafe was a perfect choice. Great vegan options. We had a fantastic lunch, and had enough left-overs to heat up for dinner in the hotel room. HIghly recommend - friendly staff, good food, nice atmosphere.

Pros: tasty vegan food, friendly staff

Cons: music selection

I-80 Oasis - Edit

This place is one of the best stops off of I-80, let alone Laramie. It reminds me of one of the excellent urban veg/vegan restaurants that you'd find in Portland, SLC, or Denver - tasty vegan options, great beers on tap, and a fun quirky atmosphere. The food that we ordered was hearty and perfect for a cold Wyoming day. The adjoining bar area looks like a great place to hangout at night. I was also thrilled to see that Sweet Melissa's is listed #1 of all 43 restaurants in Laramie on Tripadvisor! A veg restaurant topping the restaurant charts in Laramie is all that needs to be said about this great place.

Pros: Great food, Fun atmosphere, Good beer on tap

Refreshing find! - Edit

I traveled to Laramie this summer and was very concerned I wouldn't find any place to eat. How refreshing to find Sweet Melissa's in the middle of cowboy country!

We went for lunch. The food was good, and I even ordered something extra to take with me to my cousin's house to have for dinner. I was surprised how crowded the restaurant was - we went on a weekday, and it was packed.

OMG !! - Edit

What a rare find in Wyoming .. we were traveling from NYC back to Portland,Oregon and were left high and dry on finding vegetarian meals. I saw Sweet Melissa on Happy Cow so we made the stop in Laramie ... it was fantastic,definitely in our all time top 10.

Pros: Awesome food

Cons: Too far from Oregon

great vegetarian place. - Edit

We were driving through Laramie, Wy and found this place on Happycow. I was very happy with the food, I had lentil loaf and mashed potatoes and they were tasty although the lentil loaf was kind of dry. For dessert we had the fried banana bread with walnuts and vanilla syrup which was awesome.

Would definitely go back.

Pros: awesome vegetarian restaurant

Good food, few vegan desserts - Edit

I was surprised to find a veg restaurant in Wyoming of all places. We were passing through and decided to try this restaurant out. The food was good but I was dissapointed at their lack of knowledge on vegan food preparation. It seems obvious that vegetarian restaurants should cater to vegans as well.

When asked if we could get vegan soy cheese on something we were told that they don't use 'fake' cheese because it ruins the flavor of the dish.

When asked about vegan desserts we were told that you can't really make cobblers, brownies and other desserts without eggs so they only have one vegan dessert, a vegan chocolate cake that was okay but dry.

Overall the food was good, the service was okay, when we walked in the waiter and waitress were talking to friends and ignored us for about 5 minutes before acknowledging us and then slowly getting menus and seating us.

Overall I would recommend the restaurant, it's great to find veg restaurants in cowboy country. My only tip, if you are vegan, don't go expecting a good desert.

Pros: Good food

Cons: poor knowledge of vegan food prep, average service

Great Place! - Edit

While staying in Colorado for a week, I decided to drive up to Wyoming for the day and explore. I stumbled upon Sweet Melissa's and immediately wished I hadn't eaten a disgusting lunch at Taco John's an hour prior. My partner ordered key lime pie and I had the vegan chocolate cake with ice cream and raspberry sauce. Both were delicious! The wait staff was super nice and we loved the decor.

no Allmans playing - Edit

This is a nice place. The water is filtered by reverse osmosis. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The menu has vegan listed,as well as VOR, vegan on request.

The food itself was just alright. Though, hours later, I had major heartburn. I never ever get heartburn. I think I would try again here, just order something else.

Pros: reverse osmosis, staff

Cons: food just ok

This place rocks! - Edit

I love Sweet Melissa's. We go there fairly frequently and have never had a bad meal. We have also convinced numerous sworn meat-eaters to go and they always request to go back. Their Pita Pizza with creamy artichoke sauce is to die for! They also make an excellent quiche and great chili. All of their desserts are wonderful - our family favorites are the Carrot Cake, Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie and Fried Banana Bread. The waitstaff are always pleasant and very accomodating. You can also actually have dinner and dessert for around $10 and you will most likely have leftovers of both. You can frequently see Melissa in the restaurant and she is always tweaking her recipes and adding new items. The only downfall of the restaurant is that we haven't been able to convince her to sell a cookbook of her recipes. When I move away from Sweet Melissa's it will be a hard restaurant to replace.
In interesting facts the restaurant is actually in the old Laramie Slaughterhouse building - how fitting is that?

Pros: Affordable, Friendly, Entirely Vegetarian

Sweet Melissa's-Vegetarian Oasis - Edit

Traveling can be challenging for a vegan, so I am so glad that Sweet Melissa's exists! The first time I went there was with my husband & inlaws on our way to CO in 2001 and another restaurant told us about it when they didn't have much to offer as far as a vegetarian dish went (much less vegan). We went and 6 years later, my husband's grandma is still raving about the vegetarian pot pie she had there. She says it's the best pot pie she's had in her life :) I always make an attempt to go to Sweet Melissa's at every opportunity possible.

Pros: vegan options!

Cons: too far from home :(

Return to Laramie Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Melissa Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4826 times since Aug 2007.