Sweet Mandarin

Contact 0161-8328848

19 Copperas St, Manchester, England, M4 1HS

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chinese food restaurant. Offers a separate vegan menu wide various starters, mains, and sides. Sells a line of bottled sauces that are vegan suitable. Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

not authentic at all - Edit

unfortunately the food here was mainly catered towards western tastes and when looking for an 'authentic' chinese experience we did not get one. riddled in the menu were dishes such as crispy beef, shredded spicy chicken and all of these items that you would be familiar finding on any 'chinese' takeaway menu. The vegetarian options were just as uninspiring unfortunately - bits of tofu in a bland, watery sauce with overcooked vegetables.

Also - what is this with no chopsticks on the table? How can it be authentic when diners are provided with knives and forks? It just didn't seem right for a chinese restaurant.

With all that being said the staff were incredibly friendly and there was true service with a smile.

Pros: Really friendly staff, Location, Interior decor

Cons: Food - not really authentic chinese, very westerni, Food quite tasteless and disappointing, Veggie options generally poor

Warm welcome & lovely food - Edit

I ate here early evening on Saturday 25th October. The staff are extremely friendly and attentive. It was a joy to be served vegan Chinese food without any MSG or other additives and all from a separate vegan menu. I'll definitely be returning as I enjoyed every dish. The only minor changes I would make are to serve the food in small bowls instead of on small plates and to change the background music to traditional Chinese classical music.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly and attentive staff, Good atmosphere

Cons: Background music needs changing, Serve meals in bowls not on plates

Worth a try if in Manchester... - Edit

Visited Manchester and used Happy Cow to find a vegan friendly restaurant. A little walk from the main central area but easy enough to find.

Separate vegan menu with some good choices available. I felt the prices were a little on the high side for the portion size/cost of ingredients used. Good knowledge on requirements for vegans. Own brand of bottled sauces being sold too which are also vegan.

Staff friendly if a little over attentive. Came back to clear the plates several times before we had even finished. Had the restaurant been busy I could perhaps understand the rush but we were the only two people eating. As such the atmosphere was flat, no music and we felt watched throughout. Decor is a little strange, we sat next to what looked like a couple of fence panels nailed together.

Not somewhere I'd rush to return to but I wouldn't rule it out altogether if in the area.

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Staff knowledgable

Cons: Fairly pricey for what you get, Flat atmosphere

Standard Chinese fayre and no bother for vegans... - Edit

Standard Chinese fayre in pleasant surroundings, a specific vegan menu most welcome and helpful staff takes the worry out of eating out (especially in a place that does meat too). Vegan food is all cooked separately.

Food was good and tasty but quite salty, portion size was not a problem (they were pretty generous on my visit).

Not particularly cheap but in keeping with restaurant (as opposed to cafe) prices.

I would visit again if in Manchester.....
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 04, 2013

Pros: Vegan menu, Good portions, Tasty food

Cons: Meat served as well, Not the cheapest place to eat out...

Gorgeous Food And Helpful Staff! - Edit

We have been to this restaurant several times now after seeing it in a vegan guide to eating out in Manchester. We were very impressed, there is a whole separate vegan menu with loads of choices, it offers the same amount of choice that you would expect on a normal menu, despite being only the vegan section.

The food is just delicious and the portions are huge (very surprised another reviewer commented on them being smaller than expected) and it is good to eat at a top-end Chinese restaurant and not have to explain veganism. Staff are very accommodating. Prices are just what you expect to pay at a good restaurant in Manchester, £20/25 per head.

Pros: Large Selection, Staff Knowledgeble, Relaxed Atmosphere

Sweet Mandarin, Manchester - Edit

I had dinner here tonight. There is a separate vegan menu with approx 7 - 8 starters and approx 20 main courses. The next thing that struck me about the menu is that its pricey. Main courses are around a tenner (extra for rice).

I ordered the tofu claypot with (non egg) fried and my friend ordered the mixed veg vermicelli. Both tasted fine. It was a smaller portion size than I expected based on what other Chinese restaurants in the UK serve up, especially the tofu claypot and the friend rice. Interestingly I don't feel the sort of almost marcotic hit that I usually get from eating in a Chinese restaurant in the UK. I suspect that is an indication of the non use of msg.

No issues with the decor although the (Western) music played wasn't to my taste personally. Service was polite and efficient.

I'd rate this place higher if it was all vego as the food was pretty tasty. There's better value for money in many of the other listings on happycow for Manchester.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: Not 100% vego, On the pricey, Not the biggest portions

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Mandarin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1704 times since Jul 2013.