1 Review

First Review by Nachrisco

Sweet Spot for Vegan Ice Cream in Astoria - Edit

We just discovered Sweet Jane's this summer, and we've been there probably 6 times so far already. This is a bright little ice cream parlor that has a good variety of rotating dairy-free ice cream and sorbet flavors. They even have a vegan version of their famous "FudgeStickle".

Their dairy-free ice cream flavors are made with either an Almond, Cashew, or Coconut base (the base for each flavor is marked on the menu, which is really nice).

The staff here is extremely friendly, and always VERY enthusiastic about giving you flavor samples.

There's a small seating area inside, and a tiny bench out front that you can use to sit and enjoy your favorite flavors.

Sweet Janes is open late, which I really like.

As far as the ice cream itself goes, I would say it's quite good overall, but depending on the flavor can be a little hit and miss. I was surprised that I found myself enjoying a lot of the coconut based flavors the most. They don't have the usual coconut aftertaste that I've come to expect from other coconut based ice cream I've tried. My favorites so far have to be Chocoloco and Purple Rain.

Sweet Jane's might not quite be up to the same standard as other vegan ice cream you can get in NYC (Van Leeuwen, 3 Little Birds), but still, for homemade dairy-free ice cream made in Astoria (which is notoriously lacking in vegan options of any kind), Sweet Janes is a wonderful, refreshing oasis during these hot summer days!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Variety of Flavors, Good Flavors are Really Good

Cons: Some Flavors Aren't as Great as Others, Serves Traditional Dairy Based Ice Cream

Return to Astoria Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sweet Jane's Frozen Desserts closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.