Sweet Hereafter

Contact 503-555-1234

3326 SE Belmont, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97214

This vegan bar was started by the folks from the Bye & Bye vegan bar. It has a similar menu and style but not quite as upscale. Vegan food include a appetizers and sides plus various bowls. Prices are inexpensive-moderate. Backroom seating. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Akdouglas

Terrible Service - Edit

So I'm in Portland for a couple days, excited to check out the vegan places. The first night I come here. I'm by myself and sit at the bar. The bar tender looks and acts like a guy from the jersey shore. It was clear unless I was an attractive female I wasn't going to get good service. And that's exactly what happened. Food was decent, service was really terrible. I felt like I was being rushed out as fast as possible. He didn't even ask if I wanted another beer when mine was empty for most of my unpleasant stay. Would not recommend and will not go back.

OK food and inexpensive - Edit

We didn't have any drinks so this review is only for the food. We ordered the antipasto platter, a cup of broccoli cheddar soup, the blacked tempeh sandwich, and the Jamaican bowl. I had no idea the platter was that big, so it was altogether a lot of food for just the two of us.

The platter was pretty good. Loved the miso chive cheese. The jerk tofu in the Jamaican bowl was the best thing of the evening. That seasoning was the bomb! Everything else was kinda underseasoned and meh. We got a $2 happy hour discount and ended up paying just $31 plus tip for the whole meal. Can't complain about that!

Pros: great value

Tasty Vegan Food and Great Drinks - Edit

I love Sweet Hereafter. I have been both times I have visited Portland, and the food is great and the drinks are good. I love that their is a bar that serves all vegan food (and while I love bar food, I actually really like that this is not just junk food...healthier and a little more upscale). I have had the Jamaican bowl and the Eastern bowl (love the nutritional yeast breaded tofu) and enjoyed them both. I especially like getting the antipasto platter, as that sort of classy appetizer is not typically readily available to vegans. The miso chive cheese in it makes it worth it in itself (I just wish it came with more!). Mixed drinks are great. The beer selection could be better, but it's fine.

Pros: Great vegan food, All vegan menu, Good drinks

Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese - Edit

All around BEST vegan Mac & Cheese ever!!! We've tried quite a few and had just about given up on this dish in any vegan form. On a lark, we ordered their Mac & Cheese as an appetizer to share- rich, cheesy, with a little spicy kick & this became a fantastic accompaniment to a happy hour beer

Pros: Casual setting, Varied menu, Lots of candles

Cons: Bar-like setting is not for everyone.

SUPER COOL PLACE - Edit

This place was just SO cool (found it using my Happy Cow app when I was visiting Portland). First, it is in a GREAT neighborhood - lots of stuff around it. Second, the interior is just so charming. And, of course, they had good food.

This is a bar that serves food - lots of good, all vegan, choices. You order at the counter, then pick it up. It's very open and welcoming and decorated comfortable and casual. I love the charm of the inside.

I had the Precious Bowl (very reasonable at $7). It had
coconut kale, black Beans, and brown rice - I added pineapple on top. It was very good, but there was something in it that was just a tad spicy for my taste (I don't like any spice at all). But, it was very good.

My friend had the Blackened Tempeh Sandwich ($8), and said it was good (I didn't try it). It was a LOT of food for $8!

The prices are fantastic (lots of food on a budget) and the place was clean, and the service was great.

Unfortunately, I left Portland, but when I return, I most definitely will go back here. All good!

Pros: good food, GREAT prices, Super cool place

amazing - Edit

Everything was great: fantastic cocktails & draft beer selection, food, atmosphere. Doesn't play up the vegan thing but it's awesome to know that everything's vegan. Buffalo soy curls & Jamaican bowl were super tasty!

dark bar atmosphere - Edit

They have buffalo soy curl subs here to go along with lots of draft beer or cocktails. Sit at a picnic table in their large outdoor area or inside at the bar or wall tables. Late night vegan food!

Pros: sandwiches

Great Vegan Spot! - Edit

White Russians ftw! Great vegan bar, with really good food! Their sandwiches are really good. Been here several times and have gotten consistently good food and drinks.

Pros: 100% Vegan!, Great food, Great drinks

Cons: Loud, Crowded at times

Reliable late night spot - Edit

I'll keep this one short. It's a good standby.eats. Nothing fancy, just fairly good vegan eats. And it's open late.

It's a popular bar so you might have to wait a bit for seating if you have a larger group who all want to sit together. It's a little quieter if you sit in the patio area out back (when the weather is good).

Pros: Decent food, Reasonable prices

Cons: It's a bar - so don't expect quiet

Delicious food - Edit

Delicious food (got the Jamaican bowl and husband got the Jamaican sub). Drinks are good. We definitely did not fit in with all the carefully dressed hipsters but we still enjoyed ourselves. Go earlier... things start getting busy at night. Great patio out back.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 24, 2012

Pros: food, dim lighting, drinks

Cons: busy

Wonderful vegan bar & restaurant - Edit

I loved Sweet Hereafter -- what's not to love about a place that is all vegan, where you can order anything off the menu?

Not only that...the food is delicious, the drinks sublime.

We had sandwiches, a "cheese" plate, beer, and cocktails -- all wonderful.

A must-visit place in Portland for anyone who appreciates good food and drinks, vegan or nonvegan.

Pros: Amazing food, Fantastic cocktails, Great atmosphere

Cons: none!

Yummy! - Edit

Lovely place with delicious food. Had the curried cauliflower sandwich. I'm not a huge cauliflower fan, but this sandwich was amazeballs! Great beer and cocktail selection too.

Pros: Fast, Yummy, Beer

Sweet Hereafter, Portland - Edit

I had dinner here on Weds evening last week. Its like a bar that also does food. Everything is vegan friendly. The food was great, the atmo was fine, no issues with service. Myself and my friends went a on a little bar crawl afterwards and ended coming back here again in the same evening.

Pros: All vegan, Great food, Nice atmo

Everyone loves this place! - Edit

I would take my 92 year old, never has had tofu, Grandmother here. Seriously. We go here at least every other week if not multiple times a week. This second spot by the Bye and Bye guys does not disappoint. The food is great.

I *highly* recommend the Buffalo Sub and the Jamaican Bowl. Seriously, the coconut kale alone is worth going.

I like super-hoppy, well-balanced IPAs and the rotating taps here have gotten much better in the past 6 months. They also have the North Williams ( a classic carried over from the Bye and Bye's menu.)

Pros: great to take omnis, late night menu, super tasty

Cons: busy, sometimes too long of a wait for food

Drinks are on point. - Edit

I haven't tried the food, but if it's anything like the Bye and Bye, I can get down. It is usually crowded and the drinks are normal priced. I would try this place at opening or on a slow day.

Pros: vegan

Cons: crowded, loud, dark

Filling & delicious at a great price - Edit

For $8 you can have a bowl of marinated firm tofu that's drizzled or covered in any number of delicious sauces with beans, rice, mild, spicy, ... and several other options on the menu including appetizers. We had the antipasto plate and it had almonds toasted with olive oil and rosemary, slices of apple, bread, hummous, green olives and some red sauce. Served without utensils. Several other options we want to go back and try. So full we didn't have room for dessert. Antipasto and two bowls (one with avocado for $1 extra) came to $25.

Pros: Original flavors, Delicious healthy vegan food, Generous portions for the price

Cons: Order at the bar. Full service bar., No host; no waiting list if it's full, community drinking & diner

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Hereafter closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8424 times since Aug 2011.