Sweet Hereafter

503-555-1234

3326 SE Belmont, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97214

This vegan bar was started by the folks from the Bye & Bye vegan bar. It has a similar menu and style but not quite as upscale. Vegan food include a appetizers and sides plus various bowls. Prices are inexpensive-moderate. Backroom seating. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Akdouglas

My Favorite Vegan Pub - Edit

Love the food and brew pub ambiance. This has become our favorite place to eat in Portland and they have local beers on tap. They are strictly vegan so we don't have to worry about our food being cooked along with non-vegan food.

Pros: Friendly staff., Great vegan food., Great ambiance.

Vegan Drinks and Snacks! - Edit

Atmosphere- My dad and I came here on a Saturday night, so it was pretty busy and loud. We eventually sat at the bar once a spot cleared.

Drinks- We had a few beers and I got one of their hot spiked drinks which was really good.

Service- We got pretty quick service, but none of the bartenders were that personable. As I got the general impression that most people who live in Portland are rude, this bar was not an exception.

Food- For an appetizer we got the pretzels which was really good. Though it was a small portion and extremely salty (and I like me some salt!). For food I got the pretzel burger and coconut kale as a side. Though both were very good. My dad got the Jamaican bowl and gave me a try, I thought it literally tasted like sewage. He liked it though!

Summary- Maybe it's quieter during the week and you're just looking for a food spot with some drinks! Great place/atmosphere if you're hitting the bars and need a snack on the weekends.

Pros: all vegan, drinks

Cons: loud, busy, bartenders attitude

Terrible Service - Edit

So I'm in Portland for a couple days, excited to check out the vegan places. The first night I come here. I'm by myself and sit at the bar. The bar tender looks and acts like a guy from the jersey shore. It was clear unless I was an attractive female I wasn't going to get good service. And that's exactly what happened. Food was decent, service was really terrible. I felt like I was being rushed out as fast as possible. He didn't even ask if I wanted another beer when mine was empty for most of my unpleasant stay. Would not recommend and will not go back.

OK food and inexpensive - Edit

We didn't have any drinks so this review is only for the food. We ordered the antipasto platter, a cup of broccoli cheddar soup, the blacked tempeh sandwich, and the Jamaican bowl. I had no idea the platter was that big, so it was altogether a lot of food for just the two of us.

The platter was pretty good. Loved the miso chive cheese. The jerk tofu in the Jamaican bowl was the best thing of the evening. That seasoning was the bomb! Everything else was kinda underseasoned and meh. We got a $2 happy hour discount and ended up paying just $31 plus tip for the whole meal. Can't complain about that!

Pros: great value

Tasty Vegan Food and Great Drinks - Edit

I love Sweet Hereafter. I have been both times I have visited Portland, and the food is great and the drinks are good. I love that their is a bar that serves all vegan food (and while I love bar food, I actually really like that this is not just junk food...healthier and a little more upscale). I have had the Jamaican bowl and the Eastern bowl (love the nutritional yeast breaded tofu) and enjoyed them both. I especially like getting the antipasto platter, as that sort of classy appetizer is not typically readily available to vegans. The miso chive cheese in it makes it worth it in itself (I just wish it came with more!). Mixed drinks are great. The beer selection could be better, but it's fine.

Pros: Great vegan food, All vegan menu, Good drinks

Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese - Edit

All around BEST vegan Mac & Cheese ever!!! We've tried quite a few and had just about given up on this dish in any vegan form. On a lark, we ordered their Mac & Cheese as an appetizer to share- rich, cheesy, with a little spicy kick & this became a fantastic accompaniment to a happy hour beer

Pros: Casual setting, Varied menu, Lots of candles

Cons: Bar-like setting is not for everyone.

cool place - Edit

If all vegan restaurants were this cool, everyone would be vegan. Cool atmosphere. The buffalo sandwich was nummy! And the bread was so good. Two thumbs up

Great food and atmosphere - Edit

I have had several things on the menu and it has always been great food for very cheap. Their drink selection is also pretty good. I can't think of a way this place could get better!

SUPER COOL PLACE - Edit

This place was just SO cool (found it using my Happy Cow app when I was visiting Portland). First, it is in a GREAT neighborhood - lots of stuff around it. Second, the interior is just so charming. And, of course, they had good food.

This is a bar that serves food - lots of good, all vegan, choices. You order at the counter, then pick it up. It's very open and welcoming and decorated comfortable and casual. I love the charm of the inside.

I had the Precious Bowl (very reasonable at $7). It had
coconut kale, black Beans, and brown rice - I added pineapple on top. It was very good, but there was something in it that was just a tad spicy for my taste (I don't like any spice at all). But, it was very good.

My friend had the Blackened Tempeh Sandwich ($8), and said it was good (I didn't try it). It was a LOT of food for $8!

The prices are fantastic (lots of food on a budget) and the place was clean, and the service was great.

Unfortunately, I left Portland, but when I return, I most definitely will go back here. All good!

Pros: good food, GREAT prices, Super cool place

Wonderful bar food! - Edit

We'll go back! Very good and fast service.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 18, 2015

amazing - Edit

Everything was great: fantastic cocktails & draft beer selection, food, atmosphere. Doesn't play up the vegan thing but it's awesome to know that everything's vegan. Buffalo soy curls & Jamaican bowl were super tasty!

dark bar atmosphere - Edit

They have buffalo soy curl subs here to go along with lots of draft beer or cocktails. Sit at a picnic table in their large outdoor area or inside at the bar or wall tables. Late night vegan food!

Pros: sandwiches

great spot - Edit

One of my favorite places for sure. Great bar and selection of beverages. The food menu has many comfort food type choices. I've tried several items and liked the all. Great place to socialize.

Great Vegan Spot! - Edit

White Russians ftw! Great vegan bar, with really good food! Their sandwiches are really good. Been here several times and have gotten consistently good food and drinks.

Pros: 100% Vegan!, Great food, Great drinks

Cons: Loud, Crowded at times

Reliable late night spot - Edit

I'll keep this one short. It's a good standby.eats. Nothing fancy, just fairly good vegan eats. And it's open late.

It's a popular bar so you might have to wait a bit for seating if you have a larger group who all want to sit together. It's a little quieter if you sit in the patio area out back (when the weather is good).

Pros: Decent food, Reasonable prices

Cons: It's a bar - so don't expect quiet

Delicious food - Edit

Delicious food (got the Jamaican bowl and husband got the Jamaican sub). Drinks are good. We definitely did not fit in with all the carefully dressed hipsters but we still enjoyed ourselves. Go earlier... things start getting busy at night. Great patio out back.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 24, 2012

Pros: food, dim lighting, drinks

Cons: busy

Wonderful vegan bar & restaurant - Edit

I loved Sweet Hereafter -- what's not to love about a place that is all vegan, where you can order anything off the menu?

Not only that...the food is delicious, the drinks sublime.

We had sandwiches, a "cheese" plate, beer, and cocktails -- all wonderful.

A must-visit place in Portland for anyone who appreciates good food and drinks, vegan or nonvegan.

Pros: Amazing food, Fantastic cocktails, Great atmosphere

Cons: none!

Yummy! - Edit

Lovely place with delicious food. Had the curried cauliflower sandwich. I'm not a huge cauliflower fan, but this sandwich was amazeballs! Great beer and cocktail selection too.

Pros: Fast, Yummy, Beer

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Hereafter closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.