Sweet Freedom Bakery

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
Contact 215-545-1899

1424 South St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19146

Vegan bakery, opened since Jan 2010. Everything is gluten-free, from cupcakes and cookies to other baked treats and desserts. Tue-Sat 10:00am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm

First Review by Jim Ollis

MMMM bakery - Edit

Happy Cow doesn't list their Bryn Mawr location, but that is where I went.

I tried two cupcakes and a doughnut. The doughnut was really moist and delicious. The cupcakes were good, delicious, not really moist, but not dry neither.

The woman who served me was really nice, too.

I am definitely going back, would recommend.

Pros: Good selection, Not dry like most gluten free foods, Friendly staff

Cons: Kind of pricey

vegan dessert for the win! - Edit

I was traveling through philly when my sweet tooth hit. Being vegan, it's not always easy to find satisfying vegan sweets, but a friend pointed me in the direction of Sweet Freedom. I got a sampling of things because why not? Everything was awesome and the girls at the counter were friendly! Definitely give it a shot!

Horrible - Edit

I was really excited to try this bakery since it is vegan. After trying it I'm really glad they are using the allergen-free marketing approach rather than a vegan one because their food is a very poor representation of vegan baked goods.
We bought a few flavors of cupcakes,a cookie sandwich and some ball shaped things. All were horrible. The cake was dry and lacked flavor, the icing had a chalk-like texture and everything had a really nasty aftertaste. The agave sweetener they use instead of sugar is the only flavor that comes across in any of it and it's not appealing. I don't know how they can justify $4.50 for one cupcake when they taste as bad as they do.
Save yourself the trip and your money unless you like to be nauseous.

Pros: vegan

Cons: tastes horrible, not professional looking, expensive

Good Sweets, Friendly Staff - Edit

I visited this location in March 2014. The staff was very nice even though I came in with about 15mins until their closing.

I tried the Salted Caramel Cupcake and the Red Velvet Cupcake. I also tried one of their bars, who's name I've forgotten. The Red Velvet Cupcake was okay. The Salted Caramel was my favorite of the two. I loved the caramel center and the creamy icing that was included.

It's no Sticky Fingers or Pink Frosting but still a good option if you are looking for some unique Vegan sweets while in Philly.

Pros: Great Staff, Options

YUM Freedom! - Edit

I recently visited the Sweet Freedom in Collingswood, NJ which is a lot easier for NJ residents to get to than the Philly location, and was surprised to find out how good their bakery items are! I'm not gluten free or vegan or vegetarian so I went to the bakery to just check it out and see what they have and how it tastes.
I'm pleased to say that their items are really good even though I am used to regular baked goods. They definitely have a different taste but it's not a bad one for sure! Their Holiday Magic Bar was to die for and their doughnuts are delicious. I tried a few other goodies as well and they are all good in a different way.
The staff is always cheerful and bright when you walk into the store and they are very helpful if you have any questions or concerns with any allergies regarding you or family/friends.

Pros: Nice, helpful staff, Delicious desserts

I want to like Sweet Freedom - Edit

I was thrilled at finding a vegan bakery nearby. I do like the occasional dessert. But I just don't much care for their cupcakes. They are dense and heavy and not the best tasting. Doughnuts were ok. Whole Foods vegan desserts are much better. I even tried again, in case they had an off day. But the food was the same. I know others love them so it may well be me.

Pros: vegan

Cons: dense, flavorless, expensive

Not good - Edit

I have celiac disease and wanted So much to like the Sweet Freedom gluten free bakery items, but unfortunately they are not good. I tried a sampling of items, a cookie, a brownie, some cupcakes, a magic bar and every one of them had a gritty texture and everything tasted the same. Not good at all, and unfortunately I will never go back. I have gotten better gluten free baked goods in the grocery store.

Pros: They tried.

Cons: Horrible texture baked goods., Outrageous prices

Tastes like sand - Edit

I love there being a dessert place in Philly that has vegan desserts. Unfortunately, Sweet Freedom's desserts taste like sand. They just aren't the same. I travel elsewhere for vegan goodies even though its close. Vegan Treats in Bethlehem has excellent goodies if you have a chance to go there.

Pros: Vegan items

Cons: Food tastes like sand

Check it out! - Edit

I stopped in Sweet Freedom Bakery while heading to work and it was absolutely delicious. I bought a couple of cinnamon rolls and donuts to take to work. They were the hit of the office! The cinnamon rolls were topped with caramel and vanilla frosting and just melted in your mouth. They had a wide variety of donuts to choose from and they were all scrumptious. I cannot wait to go back!

this-place-is-awesome! - Edit

I am really, really, really happy that this place exists! I am a strict vegan, but have no allergies whatsoever. However, for people that do have food allergies and sensitivities, this place is so wonderful! You know you can eat anything, and yeah, the place is not cheap, but everything is such good quality. So you find the place and get one small thing instead of buying some "veganuff" junk from Wawa and feeling gross afterwards. I think the coolest thing I saw is that I was in there and saw a guy come in that has celiac. He wasn't a health food type, he was kind of South Philly Italian guy and came in and said he regularly eats gluten and gets really sick. The women there kindly offered him up some stuff and he got a paper bag filled with cookies and got back into his car. This was a real normal dude, honestly suffering form celiac, and to have this option is just so, so, so cool. I was really touched and overall I love this place! (But shame on you, girlz, for the honey! Forget that- you know how important the vegans are for your spot!!!!!: O)

Pros: kid-friendly , awesome , delicious as hell

Cons: is it still painted pepto pink? , not a fan of Govinda's actually, bougie (but what can you expect)

Sweet Freedom Bakery - Edit

I had high hopes for Sweet Freedom, especially since they were advertising the fact they were on Cupcake Wars on the sign outside the front door.

Boy was I disappointed. The cupcakes did not look attractive, so I didn't get one. I tried a sample of some kind of blueberry bar and found it to be tasteless and gritty. So I settled on the cookie sandwich and took it to go for later.

When I finally bit into it I felt the garbanzo bean flower was overpowering and really took away from the cookies. The frosting between the cookies was OK, but the cookies really just killed it.

It seems like bakery filled with good people and a good cause, but I just can't see myself ever going back.

Allergy Friendly - Edit

This place is amazing! I am vegan, gluten free, and mostly soy free. So, with all of those restrictions... I could eat everything here! Everything I tried was awesome. It is hard to pick but my favorite is probably the magic bar. Oh and how great is it that they have cupcake tops! We all know that is the best part of the cupcake : ) But yeah, this is probably my favorite bakery.

Pros: great baked goods, all vegan, gluten and soy free, Clean, nice atmosphere

freedom - Edit

I was visiting Philly for the day and knew I had to try this place, especially since it's a half block away from Govinda's.
I had a great conversation with the owner. The choices were great and had a lot of variety. Everything I tried tasted really good and I was impressed. I don't have allergies, so it's not an issue, but this must be heaven to anyone who cannot eat dairy, soy, gluten, nuts, etc! The pastries are vegan, so having honey as a sweetening option for coffee or tea is NOT a sin. I'll say it's a little pricey, but since all the ingredients used are top quality and probably expensive, it's something that should be accepted for now

Pros: quality ingredients, Taste, Location

Cons: pricey

So Good - Edit

My husband and I came across this place on our way to lunch at a different place. Everything looked so good we "saved room" and stopped here for dessert and Sweet Freedom Bakery did not disappoint! We each had a cookie sandwich and loved it! The place was packed on a random Thursday afternoon and everyone was saying how amazing it was! Great Place in Philly!

Amazing!!!! - Edit

Who could think that gluten free bake goods could taste so good. I went in only to try a cupcake and ended up going to town on everything in there. Extremely tasty and good for you. The service was great and the bakery was very clean. I am not a vegan but thoroughly enjoyed all they had to offer. I will be returning very soon.

Pros: Great taste, Priced reasonably, Service with a smile

huge disappointment - Edit

I was so excited for this place to open. But the cupcakes are gritty and leave a funky after taste. The prices are through the roof. And they claim to be a vegan place, but they have honey for people to use in their tea. I can make better vegan gluten-free desserts myself.

Pros: location

Cons: taste, texture, price

Amazing healthy vegan/gluten-free bakery! - Edit

One of the best vegan bakeries I have ever been to. Finally showing that you can useful healthful ingredients to make delicious desserts that are animal product-free and allergen-free. The two owners, Heather and Allison, are arguably just as sweet as their treats :)

Pros: Healthy Vegan Food, Lovely Service, Interior Decor

Cons: nothing

love it - Edit

This place is right next to Govinda's and it's better and cheaper than the desserts Govinda's has to offer. It's also free of soy, nuts, wheat etc. Kinda pricey.

Pros: Convenient

Cons: Pricey

Disappointed - Edit

I'm just in Philly for a day and was excited to find the bakery in walking distance of my hotel. i was looking forward to getting yummy desserts after lookingon their website. ...or not.

they had very little to pick from. i expected a lot more- there were two types of cookies and four types of cupcakes. i bought an apricot fingerprint which was pretty good and a mocha frosted chocolate cupcake. the frosting was amazing, but the cupcakes- not so great. for $3.5 the cupcake should have been perfect!!!!! (especially since it was super small) ive had better out of a box.

glad to support a local business, especially one thats vegan, but i wont be coming back.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: no variety, expensive, small portions

Wonderful - Edit

I fiance and I have been 3 times to this bakery. Everything we've had has been absolutely wonderful. My fiance is an omni and very skittish about vegan food.....but he was actually the one to suggest going to get something from this bakery today.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, south street

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Freedom Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2988 times since Jan 2010.