Sweet Bones Bakery Cafe

Contact 0413067890

Shop 8, 18 Lonsdale St, Braddon (at enter Elouera St), Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2612

Vegan bakery and cafe where the only non-vegan item is dairy milk option for drinks. Offers baked bread, muffins, cakes, coffee as well sandwiches and other cafe food. EFTPOS accepted. Here since 2012; previously inside Lonsdale St Traders Bldg. Open Mon-Sat 7:30am-4:00pm, Sun 8:30am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Australian

First Review by litttlescott

Awesome - Edit

I didn't know this place existed until a few days ago and I am so glad I checked it out quickly, I'll definitely be going back regularly.
Everything is 100% vegan but drinks come default with cow's milk (which I thought was slightly weird but it isn't difficult to ask for an alternative).
The breakfast burrito had a tofu scramble, beans, corn salsa, cheez and brown rice with a side of kale salad. It was super filling and great value for money (only $15).
The chocolate almond brownie was rich, moist and one of the best brownies I've ever had - vegan or not. If you gave it to someone without telling them it was vegan, they would never be able to guess.
Also tried the 'coco whip' which was a coconut milk based version of a soft-serve. There were a handful of different topping options to choose from and we chose "peanut caramel crunch" which was peanuts, cacao nibs and a date-based caramel sauce. The texture of the coco whip itself was a little bit weird but it is a solid dairy-free alternative for a frozen dessert and was really refreshing.

Pros: Great value, Awesome decor and relaxed atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Small - not many tables

sweet bones is wonderful - Edit

Established vegan eatery is the best place for lunch in Canberra, the cakes are awesome. Large cakes can be ordered and they are superb in every way.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, lovely ambience

All Vegan Except For Cow Milk For Coffee And Tea - Edit

Food was mediocre. We had the Ruben, the nachos and the chicken noodle soup. They were all ok. Nothing special. Something I'd expect from an omnivore who doesn't really know how to cook vegan food.

Excellent Canberra Vegan Lunch Spot! - Edit

I enjoyed an excellent vegan lunch at Sweet Bones on October 20, during a short visit from the United States to Canberra, with an American friend who is based there for three years. My friend (normally an omnivore) had the "Fun Guy Burger" with Portabella mushroom, hummus, roasted red peppers, sprouts, and carrots with cashew tamarin dressing on a Turkish roll. I had the Wildwood Salad with mixed greens, roasted red peppers, carrots, beetroot, sprouts, and spiced seeds in tahini dressing. Both our meals were super fresh and tasty. The fun, attractive, and colorful restaurant space added to the overall very positive experience for my friend and me.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Many vegan menu options, Fun atmosphere

Authenticity compromised - Edit

The cafe says VEGAN cafe from the outside but when I ordered a rooibos latte they served it to me with dairy milk. I was shocked after tasting this revolting cows milk based beverage. When I asked staff they were apologetic but I questioned them by stating 'but this is a vegan cafe'. They made no attempts to explain themselves. It seems that this cafe says they are vegan but use dairy milk as a default for beverages. This is extremely misleading and doesn't give me much confidence in what they may be adding to their baked goods and pancakes, etc. We tried several meals. They all sounded great in writing but all were very dry and little content. The big breakfast was tiny and consistent predominantly of two massive slices of dry rye bread, there were hardly any vegetables in the scramble which was accompanied by three thin slices of raw tomato, about a third of an avocado, a tablespoon of hommos and that's it! This is far from a BIG breakfast and it cost me $20. The smoothies are also terrible, don't bother. It seems that they have a great marketing team who know how to write but they don't know how to deliver on some of their dishes. 80% of what we ate was disappointing or misleading but the 20% that wasn't was delicious.

Pros: atmosphere, location, variety

Cons: lack of authenticity/misleading, food that should be warm is cold, costly for what you get

Sweet Bones Cafe, Canberra, ACT. - Edit

Highly recommended for anyone living in, or visiting Canberra. Delicious vegan meals and cakes. Friendly staff and reasonable prices.
Very busy the day we visited but we still got a table and served in a reasonable time.
Quirky decor. :)

Pros: Excellent vegan food., Friendly staff, Reasonable prices.

A MUST! - Edit

Sweet Bones has all the vegan goods! They have several menus that are packed full of vegan eats: breakfast, light meals, burgers and salads, south of the border, baked good and a great range of smoothies and juices.

I had the nacho mountain and it is epic! An absolute must :)

They also make amazing cakes that are made to order!

Cons: All vegan, Organic , Outdoor seating

Spoilt for choice! - Edit

I went here for lunch recently and was overwhelmed by the range of choices. I suffered severe fear of missing out and didn't want to choose! However the sandwich I chose was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to go back. The staff were also super friendly and the service was efficient. Love it!

Pros: Large choice, Fast service, Delicious food

Cons: I don't like close enough!

Amazinggggggg - Edit

This place is one of the best vegan cafe's I have been to!
The food is delicious and reasonably priced and the cafe ambiance is just really laid back. Good place to meet up with friends or just come for a quiet coffee!

Pros: Well Priced, Delicious Food, Nice Staff

Cons: No Mock Meat

My favourite vegan cafe - Edit

Most incredible vegan food, creative and delicious, well priced meals and excellent coffee. Also make vegan cakes, muffins and brownies - it doesn't get better than this!

Pros: Everything, Delicious, Wonderful

Great Organic Vegan Food - Edit

This pop up cafe has brought life to the canberra vege scene. Its stylish look and amazing food as been pulling in vege and non-vege customers alike. The meals are western focused vegan fair with dinners friday nights that have a changing menu. They also do vegan cakes and baked goods onsite (and to order).

I eat here regularly and could not imagine canberra without it.

Pros: Cheap, Food, Baked Goods

Bloody Good Food - Edit

Visiting Canberra from Sydney. This cafe is in the most self-consciously hipster joint I've ever seen. Trying a bit too hard to be Melbourne. ... The food's excellent. I had essene bread with avocado, tomatoes and sprouts. My friends had focaccia. Really healthy and fresh. Bloody excellent.

Pros: Fresh, Yummy, Nice Staff

Just what Canberra needs! - Edit

Brilliant cafe in a stylish new retail block in Braddon. The service is good, the food is organic and vegan, and the selection is that perfect combination of healthy and not-too-healthy! The sandwiches are rich and filling, and (as youd expect from a bakery), encased in excellent bread. There are also interesting salad options, smoothies, young coconut juice, great coffee and of course, cakes.

Return to Canberra Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Bones Bakery Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.