First Review by gr8vegan

I LOVE this place! - Edit

So many vegan treats! The Elvis cupcake might be the best vegan cupcake I've ever had (peanut butter and banana). The kale salad may look average but the dressing on it is unreal. They also do a great job with their vegan cheese sauce for the vegan nachos. I was not disappointed in anything I tried here!

Pros: "Elvis" cupcake, Kale Salad, Great staff

Cons: Line can get long (understandably)

Great bakery! - Edit

The vegan cinnamon roll is hands down the best I have ever had. The vegan brownie and carrot cake cupcake were delicious as well. The curry burrito I purchased was delicious as well and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and artwork (I purchased one of the calendars featuring dads and incidentally got to meet the artist!) Great work, art, food and people. Highly recommend!

Pros: baked goods, curry burrito

Cons: My friend was not impressed with the quiche.

Careless about veganism - Edit

The "Soy" milk comes in a large pink milk jug with a 'skim milk' label on it. If you are putting vegan on your menu, deliver vegan food. I won't be back.

Pros: Expert handling of card charging

Cons: Food labeled vegan not vegan

Yummy sweets, great art! - Edit

We walked to Sweet Art while we were staying in the neighborhood. We got vegan cupcakes and soy lattes and both were excellent! The cupcakes were tasty, moist and easily lifted out of the wrappers. Our son loved that his had sprinkles.

We went right around noon on a weekday and it was full, but not overly busy. We didn't have to wait in line long to order and only a couple minutes for our order to be fulfilled.

The place features great artwork too, and it was cool to see more being painted as we waited.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 17, 2015

Pros: Yummy food, Cool art, Good labeling of what's vegan

Cons: Wish cupcakes were bigger!

CUPCAKES - Edit

I spend an unreasonable amount of money (gladly) for the best cupcakes I've ever eaten here, I buy a lot. The mack'n cheese is unbelievable, really cheesy and not cheap tasting like some versions I've had. Everything I've eaten has been return-worthy. I do wish they were open for dinner and sometimes the staff is chattier than what I personally prefer but I don't think I can fault friendliness.

Visit! You wont regret it!

Pros: everything

Cons: can get very busy

Sweet Art is Amazing!!! - Edit

I cannot recommend this place enough. Go for the cupcakes and stay for the vegan burgers! Everyone who I have taken here (veg and non-veg) has loved it. I first found them while searching for a bakery to make a vegan cake for my wedding. They made a beautiful chai spice wedding cake that our guests are still talking about over two years later. Go here, enjoy vegan bliss, and thank me later. :)

Pros: Delicious, Friendly

Cons: It's not closer to my house

Amazing lunches - Edit

I was introduced to Sweet Art by a non-vegetarian friend, and have since introduced other non-vegetarian friends who love it. The lunch options are fresh and amazing, I crave it! I wish they were open for dinner as well. They also serve breakfast, but I haven't made it that early yet.
And, of course, the bakery items are to die for. I'm not vegan ("just" vegetarian), but I love the cupcakes and bars here. Do yourself a favor and go!

Pros: Amazing food, Lovely proprietor, Amazing food

Cons: a little hard to find

I love Sweet Art - Edit

I recently moved to Chicago and I've yet to find a spot that beats the cupcakes at Sweet Art! She has different flavors everyday and they can run out pretty quickly. Depending on the day, there will also be vegan cookies, brownies, and/or cinnamon rolls. The food tastes really good too.

I recommend the SweetBurger or if you like a little bbq, the Make it Funky burger. & of course, a cupcake (or 2):)

Pros: Great food, Yummy desserts

Cons: Small building, Long lines, Slow at taking orders, only one worker

YAY VEGAN CUPCAKES - Edit

Honestly, one of my fav vegan spots in town. I go here usually once a week for my chocolate fix.

The staff is extremely friendly and they always are happy to point you in the direction of which items are vegan.

The chocolate chip cookies are to-die-for and you would never guess that they are vegan. Also, the brownies are probably the best (vegan or non) brownies I've had in my life! The cupcakes rotate flavors and are always creative. Truly never a let down when it comes to the desserts.

The food menu can become confusing sometimes as they keep changing items and where the menu is displayed. However, everything is clearly marked vegan and/or GF which is extremely helpful.

Best food items: school house pizza, mac n' cheeze

St. Louis's ONLY Vegan Burger Bar!

Not to mention, the place is decorated in original paintings by Cbabi, an amazing painter!

Pros: super star staff, amazing dessert, best pizza and brownies!

Cons: they're not open 7 days a week

Perfect. - Edit

The best vegan sweets I've ever tasted! The food (depending on what you get) can sometimes be a little on the greasy side. I'm not sure if they have seasonal menus, but I've seen some really good options come and go. But I can't hate. This place is amazing.

Sweet Art - Edit

Delicious, healthy lunch spot! Excellent food, carry out available. My lunch girls and I eat here often and always have a great experience. I love the Flora wrap. The soups are a great winter staple - I've never had one that I didn't love.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Delicious desserts

Yay for Sweet Art! - Edit

I have been to Sweet Art twice since recently moving back home to St. Louis. I am so thrilled to have a restaurant like this in my hometown.
Their menu is not huge, but it is all vegetarian, and most menu items can be made vegan. I have tried the lentil-y Sweet Burger which I was pleased with, and also a burrito containing their Flad chili which was simply delicious. There also other items on the menu that I am excited to try, including nachos and a BLT.
As far as the desserts go, there have been vegan options both times (although only one or two per time). I have tried the vegan brownie (best I have ever had) and 2 vegan cupcakes (including an awesome French toast variation).
Over all, Sweet Art is a very welcome addition to St. Louis. The ambiance is pleasant and quirky (love the paintings for sale on the walls), and the food is good. I'm sure I will be going back again and again.

Pros: All vegetarian, Vegan desserts, Brunch on Saturdays

Cons: Closes at 6 PM

Okay but they need more vegan sweets!!! - Edit

We stopped in Sweet Arts on our way west as we thought they would have a vegan cupcake, brownie, or other treat. We were very disappointed that not a single one of their baked goods was vegan. We did try their vegan BLT and the veggie burger, both were okay but nothing outstanding. The BLT just used Light Life Smart Bacon, nothing special. The veggie burger was a bit better, it was a homemade patty with lots of lentils but not a lot of flavor. It was a really hot day when we went in and we were also disappointed that the drinks in the fridge were barely cool, not refreshing at all. The cafe was packed with no seats left so we had to take it out, and walk way up the street to our car as they had no designated parking. Kind of a bummer for us!

Pros: Mostly vegan lunch menu, Some homemade items

Cons: Few vegan baked goods, Limited seating, On-street parking

I'm impressed! - Edit

We tried this today thanks to a Groupon I got. The only bad thing I can say is that I wish it was closer! The food was great, with a lot of vegan choices. The brownies are some of the best I've ever had, vegan or not. The decor and atmosphere are really cool, and the staff is friendly.

I used to think VegaDeli was the best but this makes them look like a cheap knockoff. Major kudos to Sweet Art. They got everything right and we will be regulars there.

Pros: lots of vegan choices, good prices, fun atmosphere

SWEET Indeed! - Edit

I had heard about this place, but because it's so far from where I live, and the fact that they close pretty early (630pm) it took me a while to get to it. Boy was I missing out.

I've been back so many times to order so many different vegan menu items...
1- the Sweet Burger (I added vegan bacon, avocado, and sauteed onions) was SO darn good that I left but felt compelled to go back moments later and order another one to take home. It's packed with lentils (aka protein!), and it is one big burger! Also, they sell it with a vegan spread that is soooo good! I wish I could figure out what it was... You have to pay extra for anything other than lettuce and tomatoes (which I don't eat), and that is understandable for the veggie bacon, avocados, etc (they have a vegan cheese, for those of you who are into that sort of thing). However, I personally don't think you should be charged extra for onions.

2- I didn't like the Botanical wrap at first, but then I realized that it was just the cucumbers (which I don't like either...lol) that threw it off for me. Once I took those out, the wrap was yummy. I'm not a fan of peanuts or anything with peanut flavoring, but this sauce had a very nice spicy kick to it and that made it enjoyable for me.

3- Ok there are 2 wraps that are similar, the Flora and the Cleveland (which I get w/o tomatoes, cucumbers or the optional feta cheese). They are both quite yummy and large enough to eat 1/2 of a wrap one day and save the other half for the next day's lunch or dinner.

4- The 39th, which is basically a BLT (minus the T for me), but their vegan house spread makes this sandwich anything but "basic". The bread is toasted, the vegan bacon is hot, and the lettuce is cool. It's also big enough to either share or save one half of it, if you can.

5- Flad - It's vegan chili...with sweet potatoes! Who woulda thunk?! This is THE best vegan chili that I have ever tasted! Seasoned perfectly! Perfect for autumn!! You can get it as a burrito or as nachos (with tortillas, no veg cheese for me!)

6- The vegan brownies (Best EVERRR!) are so thick, yet moist and chocolaty (eat warm w/vegan ice cream = heaven!).

7- Vegan cupcakes!!!! I've had the Harmony, Cookies and Creme, Raspberry Lemon, and the all Chocolate, and they ALL were delicious! Go early on Friday and Saturday if you want to snag vegan cupcakes, otherwise they WILL disappear!

They are closed on Sundays and Mondays. Check their website for hours of operation.

Pros: LARGE portions!, delicious vegan foods and desserts!!, free wi-fi

Great new place in St. Louis - Edit

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that this was just a bakery. Needless to say I ate (too much) right before I went here; sadness because the food they were taking out to people looked amazing! Next time...

So what did I order? I got some Vegan cupcakes and they were awesome - I liked the frosting on it the best. I liked the decor of the place and the menu had tons of vegan stuff.

Saturdays are vegan cupcake day! - Edit

This is just an outstanding place. Great place to meet friends for lunch. They have a vegan burger made of Match & lentils and a botanical wrap. I get the Botanical w/o the peanut sauce or avocado and sub ketchup and its amazing! I really like how you can select between fruit and chips! I go for the fruit! But if you want to have a celebration on Saturday (or via pre order) they always have amazing vegan cupcakes and brownies!

Pros: excellent food, friendly service, outside seating

Cons: burnt smell inside

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Art closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5374 times since Mar 2009.