Swan Valley Cafe

Contact 92966320

990 Great Northern Highway, Millendon, Western Australia, 6056

Licensed Cafe in Swan Valley with alfresco dining area and seating inside overlooking their garden. Offers vegetarian, vegan, raw & gluten-free menu. Has vegan and organic wine and gluten free beer, fresh fruit juices and smoothies and house-made almond milk. High Teas are available by reservation. Herbal and organic teas, and hand blended teas by Naturopath are available. All breads are gluten-free. The Mayflower Orchid Centre operates within the cafe grounds. The function room hosts regular events and workshops. Mon-Fri 9:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-5:00pm Kitchen closes at 2:30pm Mon-Fri, and at 3pm Sat-Sun and holidays.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by woylielover

so friendly!! - Edit

Food there is so amazing! The service is always brilliant and the blueberry pancakes(!!!!)
Defiantly if your in the area, go check them out! Also have really good selection of tea.

Pros: amazing service, great coffee and teas, food is amazing

Cons: raw desserts expensive

Disappointment... - Edit

I can't tell you much about the food there, because they decided to close the kitchen earlier when I came by, so I just "enjoyed" my tea-like-tasting overpriced coffee in an atmosphere of millions of signs what you are not allowed to do and continued my bike journey. The only positive thing is the gas station close by that actually can give you advise on which wines are vegan and even offers vegan snacks like Chia pudding, which kinda saved my day. The swan valley cafe in summary is an unfriendly, overpriced and overrated location which I would absolutely not recommend. But hey, there is still the gas station. ;)

Rare find - Edit

We discovered this rare jewel on a day tour of the Swan Valley. The cafe, is totally meat free and has a varied menu. We chose two different dishes from the lunch menu. We were not disappointed with either both being tasty and served with 4 different salads.

While we both had smoothis to dring the range leaf trees was also extensive and we purchased several to try at home.

The waitress who delivered our food was friendly and efficient.

We sat in the converatory but the cafe also has tables in the garden.

Pros: lovely food , friendly staff

good tucker in the valley! - Edit

I'm so chuffed to find such a veggie haven in the valley. Although not cheap (what is these days!?) I have been twice in two weeks and had delicious meals and coffee both times.
Service a bit slow but that's fine if you are not in a rush and taking in the views around you.

Pros: variety, location, shop

Cons: casual service

Best Spicy Beans Ever - Edit

I have been here for breakfast a few times now, as the location is picturesque and far enough out of the city to make a special treat on a weekend.

The buckwheat pancakes are tasty and filling, although can be a little dry--although waitstaff are happy to provide extra syrup if asked.

The Mexican flavoured scrambled tofu was a bit on the bland side, although filled with veggies. The spicy salsa on the side was definitely required to give it some kick.

The spicy beans, however, are a standout. The sauce has a chili kick, and tastes so fresh and zesty my dining partners and I just have to try it every time, even if we're ordering other dishes.

For lunch, I've only tried the raw pizza and raw lasagne (which were daily specials). Both were very tasty and refreshing.

The raw apple cake, with red apples, is a particular standout, although the range of vegan desserts can sometimes be limited.

Pros: Great food, Beautiful setting, Accommodating staff

Cons: Service can be slow, A little hit and miss with dishes

Pleasant but underwhelming - Edit

With the welcome new arrival of the first vegetarian establishment in the Swan Valley, I dined here for dinner with 2 friends, as the dinner menu appeared to be more diverse and interesting than the lunch menu. In retrospect lunch would have been a better option to appreciate the aesthetics of the property; a relatively innocuous front opens to an attractive dining area and a large open plan garden out the back, a drawcard that is better appreciated during the day.

I ordered the Shepherdess pie while my two companions ordered Mushroom Risotto and Vegetable Lasagne (not vegan) respectively. I was under whelmed by the pie; It was certainly healthy and wholesome but on the bland side and without accompaniment. For $18 I paid for essentially 3 very cheap ingredients (brown lentils; potato; sweet potato). For that price surely they could have afforded a side salad to go with it? Although my companions had salads with their meals, they were also under whelmed by paying premium prices for middle of the road food.

I was a bit annoyed that one of the more interesting items on the menu, the spicy black bean soup, was unavailable that day. Also annoying was the lack of vegan cake; after I was asked by the owner my dietary requirements when I booked (and where I dropped that I was looking forward to vegan cake), they didn't have any on the night. They were quite adamant at first they were about to make a raw apple cake which sounded interesting, but then they changed their mind halfway during the main cause.

However the desert they did have, the silken tofu mousse, ended up the highlight of the evening ,being deliciously flavoured and a surprisingly thick texture. It was a good thing we ordered these well in advance, as it turned out they only had exactly 3 left when we asked!

To summarise, the restaurant has in its favour the distinction of being the only vegetarian establishment for miles nestles in a pleasant environ and boasting the occasional delicious dessert. In its disfavour are typically WA traits such as high prices for basic meals, a small yet unpredictable menu and service that is slightly vague and distant. Whether or not you'd want to eat here depends on whether the aesthetics of its location compensate for its culinary shortcomings

Pros: Back Garden, Silken Tofu Mousse, Food healthy and low sodium

Cons: Overpriced, Limited menu, distant service

yummy and innovative - Edit

We joined some veg*n network contacts for lunch at SVC and the food was a mixture of standard (veggie burgers) and innovative (raw carrot cake & raw summer apple pie). It was all pretty tasty and the service was friendly & welcoming. The outdoor area looks great for days when it's cool enough. It was 40C when we were there, so we were inside! They have vegan wines and beers and apparently would cater to any individual dietary need - either food or drink. Check it out!

Pros: innovative, friendly, nice setting

Cons: slightly limited menu

Return to Millendon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Swan Valley Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1515 times since Dec 2010.