First Review by suzlaz

Authenticity and Friendliness - Edit

The owners make you feel so comfortable with the menu. When ordering vegan they will give you peace of mind. The food was so delicious and very authentic, indian-style. You can share with the table like you're supposed to.

Pros: Vegan Options, Authentic

Good Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

My wife and I dined here last year.There are so few completely vegetarian restaurants in Upstate SC, so we were excited about this place. Neither of us (at that time) were very familiar with Indian fare, but the staff (owners?) were very friendly and took the time to explain the menu to us.
I thought that the food was fantastic. Unfortunately , it was way too spicy for my wife, so we haven't been back, but I would definitely eat here again if in the area by myself.

Pros: Price, Attentive staff, Family owned atmosphere

Cons: May be too spicy for delicate palates

My favorite local restaurant - Edit

Great food that never disappoints! Everything is vegetarian, and if the staff knows you're vegan (my boyfriend is they always remember), they will make sure your food is vegan, and doubtless they'll remember next time you come. They have a great Thali that I almost always get, and it's a big meal! The environment can be a little jarring to some people, as it's half-restaurant, half-grocery store, and little bit like you're sitting in someone's living room. Some people might consider this a con but I think of it as part of its quirky charm.

Pros: helpful staff, many options, great value

Cons: small dining room

Great food, hilarious staff! - Edit

I haven't eaten at many Indian restaurants, so cannot compare. When you walk in, it smells like home cooking.

We enjoyed the food - great variety, with many options. The gentleman who served us really made the meal memorable. He was so funny and kind... very grandfatherly, and in a way that had us laughing throughout our dinner.

My only suggestion is that if you really can't take spice, tell them you want all of your food "mild".
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 26, 2013

Updated from previous review on Saturday October 26, 2013

Pros: Tasty, Huge selection, True home cooking

Cons: Spicy unless you specify

Gotta Try It! - Edit

This is definitely a tiny place, but the staff is friendly. I went with my parents for our first visit, and the owner came to our table to explain how they cooked all of our dishes and to check on how we were doing. We all prefer mild food, and they made sure nothing was too spicy for us. I'll be going back!

Pros: Good service, Interesting grocery items

Cons: Small, Bright lighting

Best Indian in Greenville - Edit

It's so much better than all of the other Indian places in Greenville combined.

Pros: Delicious food, Super friendly service, Great prices

Cons: The interior could use a vamp

Owners super nice and tasty food - Edit

My boyfriend and I stopped drove to Greenville to watch the US Cycling Championships, and I came on here in search of a vegan restaurant. We arrived at Swad 10 minutes before closing time and the owners happily welcomed us.

It's not really a "high-end" restaurant. It's more of a hybrid between an Indian food store and a small family-owned restaurant. Low-key and casual. And the owners were more than happy to talk to us about all the spices they added to the food and to give us more rice, if we needed it.

Personally, I thought the curried veggies were a tad to spicy for my liking, but maybe that's because I'm not very schooled on Indian food and mostly eat milder foods. I had to get three refills on water, though. And I needed more rice to balance out the spiciness. Just a caveat if you don't really enjoy very spicy food.

Pros: friendly owners, tasty food

Cons: a tad too spicy

Delicious! - Edit

Been here twice and loved it both times. Owners are very nice and will make it however you want. The inside is drab but clean and the grocery store has some neat items. Wish it was closer to where I live.

Great Indian, mostly vegan and cheap - Edit

I just tried Swad for lunch today. It was fantastic. The owner was also my server. I asked him what, on the menu, was vegan. He indicated that everything was vegan, except two dishes that had dairy in them. They don't serve any meat or eggs there. He even specially had the roti I had with my meal, prepared with a coating of olive oil instead of ghee. I was also given a demonstration of how to eat the appetizer (Puri Pani, I think) I ordered. Just very friendly and helpful service.
The food was excellent as well.
They've been in Greenville for 14 years, so I'm a bit embarrassed I haven't found this place sooner.
My only complaint was that the service was a bit slow. Normally this is fine for me, but I was on my lunch break today. But I will definitely be going back.

Pros: vegan, price, friendly service

Cons: service a little slow

Return to Greenville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Swad Vegetarian Indian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4449 times since Aug 2007.