CLOSED: Suzy Spoon's Vegetarian Butcher

• Vegetarian

Contact 02-95579762

22-24 King St, Newtown, New South Wales, 2042

Re-located here late-July 2013 from Enmore. Shop and kitchen making all vegan sandwiches and burgers to-order. Sells a range of vegan food products including different types of sausages made in-house; also has vegan cheese, liquid smoke, jerquee, vegg, satay sauce, tofu, tempeh, and foods. The only non-vegan item is dairy milk for coffee and tea. MAY 2016 CLOSED FOR MOVING, LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT RE-OPENS!

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out, Australian

First Review by Cheryandmatt

Vegan options butcher and cafe - Edit

Love the burgers here. Great staff too. Menu needs a bit more detail about what is vegan and what is vegetarian, but it is simple enough to ask.

Pros: vegan, tasty, relaxed

Cons: not wholly vegetarian

everything Sydney's cafe scene is about - and vegan. amazing. - Edit

I love this cafe! It holds its own against other Newtown cafes even if you're not vegan. I wasn't sure I'd like it as I'm not a big faux meat person. The mushrooms, spinach, tomato are all delicious though. Excellent hash browns with a nice texture. Vegetarians who aren't into fake meat but like tofu should try the "eggs". They have everything I used to enjoy about the runny yolk but without the animal cruelty or the weird gloopy egg white!

More importantly it's just a nice place for a lazy brunch and a good coffee with friends. That is surprisingly hard to find on King St where things are sometimes just a bit too hectic.

Pros: relaxed and chilled cafe, good coffee, great brunch

Cons: service sometimes slow, easy to eat too much!

THE CHILLI DOG! - Edit

I have been meaning to go here for a while and we finally got to go on Australia Day!

I am not a huge fan of mock meats but I was blown away! We had the spoon burger and the chilli dog with a side of hashbrowns. We were quite disappointed that they didn't serve fries with their burgers :( but the burger and chilli dog more than made up for that!

I didn't find the mock meat too meaty which was great! And the sausage in the chilli dog was on point!!

When we asked for gluten free buns I noticed that they use choices gluten free buns which are amazing, so big ticks for that!

The sauces are to die for!

The service was great as it wasn't too busy.

I highly recommend for vegetarians, vegans and near eaters!

Not what we imagined, but good - Edit

I was expecting more of a butcher shop (from the name), but this is like a sandwich shop. It threw us off, but the food was good. Portions are large and staff are friendly.

Good, but not amazing.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 17, 2016

Pros: All veg

Suzy's food is the solution to all my problems - Edit

I've been a fan of Suzy Spoon since Macdonna's cafe on Australia St back in the 90s. Her community tv show "Cooking Cleverly with Beverly" should be compulsory viewing for all apprentice chefs. And then she tops the lot by opening a vegetarian butcher.

I've tried most things on the menu here, my favourites are the hot dogs and eggplant parma. I love that you can also buy the mock meat products to cook at home or order them online.

I love coming to Suzy's even though it can be out of the way for me, the food is always great and the service always friendly. The only problem is the size of the venue, there are only a few tables and lunch times tend to be busy but I've always got a table eventually. And it is worth the wait! There are usually donuts and cupcakes to have for dessert as well or for a snack with a cuppa.

Pros: Wide selection of tasty food, reasonably priced, GF and nut free options

Cons: Small venue

Decidedly disappointing... - Edit

I was disappointed by this very average mock-meat-dominated place. I didn’t have huge expectations and was just looking for simple fast food, but it didn’t even work on that level. The Spoon Burger was OK in terms of flavour and texture, although the ‘vegan rasher’ I added to it was not. The Schnitzel Burger was rubbery, exactly the type of mock meat that people avoid. I know it's hard to make good mock meat, but if you're going to open a cafe based on it, it better be of superior quality. I didn’t get a chance to have a coffee or try any of the specials but am not particularly tempted to go back in a hurry.

Pros: Food all vegan/coffee is direct trade

Cons: Not just mock meat: BAD mock meat

Life Changing Burgers! - Edit

Amazing burgers. The spoon burger (deluxe) will change your life. Also great that you can get the patties and other bits to take away and use at home.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 19, 2014

Pros: So Delicious , Healthy , Take-home Packs

Cons: A Little pricey

Tasty mock rasher - Edit

Good comfort food. I had the Hash brown which come with smokey rasher, toast, avocado, roasted tomato and baby spinach. You order at the counter, get a number and they bring your food to your table. Be prepared to wait for a long time. Best mock rasher ever. Very large portions, good prices.

Amazing! - Edit

Best vegan comfort food in the whole of Sydney! everything is 100% vegan except they have cows milk available as an option.

The food is amazing, I've only tried the chili dog but it's so good I cant bring myself to order anything new whenever I go back. My house mate and omni mum have tried the rest of the menu and they say they food would convert even the most blood thirsty omni over to veganism ;)

The service is always friendly and with a smile, although they could do with a bit more room with more tables available on the busy days as it gets pretty full.

Pros: Delicious , Friendly staff, Worth the price

Cons: Can get too full on busy days

great concept - Edit

Delicious food, a great selection of homemade gourmet sausages and they even serve an all day breakfast. Coffee was mediocre but food more than makes up for it.

Pros: variety, taste, YUM

Freaking Awesome - Edit

On a recent trip to Sydney I asked the Sydney Vegans on Facebook to tell me the best places to visit. They all said Newtown. So off we went. King Street seems to be 'the street'. Lots of vegan options. But of course, I forgot all about Suzy Spoons and only spotted it on the drive out.
I made it a goal to go there before we left, so we came back a few days later and was really impressed. I was expecting a deli style store, rather than a colourful, vibrant little cafe. We got three sandwiches, Joostice Juice (supports local independent journalism), a packet of original sausages, schnitzel and burgers. We were driving up the coast so the packeted foods were perfect for stopping and barbecuing a quick meal by the side of the road. Everything kept perfectly and tasted amazing. The sandwiches are absolutely delicious! Probably the best I've had in quite a while. Fresh salads, tasty 'meats' and crusty bread. A perfect little place to visit. Please come to Melbourne guys.

Pros: Fresh sandwiches, Healthy meal options, Convenience

Cons: Pricey

Awesome! - Edit

It really is hard to find fault with Suzy Spoon's. We popped in for a quick lunch and left with full tummies and memories of delightful flavours. Although we spent a touch more than $50 for lunch, we had one meal and one dessert each for the three of us. All in all, this is some of the best-value veg food in the whole of Australia.

We tried a seitan roll, one of the burgers, and a schnitzel parmigiana. The seitan roll was full to the brim with freshly made, chunky seitan (this must be one of the biggest drawcards of this venue!) and a lovely red wine gravy. The burger was massive and required no side helping of chips/fries to top it off. The parmigiana was meaty and cheesy, yet also elegant. Magic!

For dessert, we polished off two delightful cupcakes and one luxurious vegan lamington - again, a rare find.

It is rare for me to be so thoroughly impressed by a venue on my first visit. Congratulations and keep up the good work!!

Pros: seitan, great value, awesome desserts

Quality, interesting vegan fare - Edit

Spoon's serves interesting, good-quality, cafe-style vegan fare like burgers, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, and a few salads. The patties and sausages are made on the premises, so are fresh and tasty, with special herb and spice combinations. They are also available for take-away. There are also a range of desserts like cupcakes. The ambiance is clean, trendy and welcoming, although chairs can be scarce at busy times. The mock meats are mostly gluten and/or soy based, with some gluten-free options. The prices are OK (for Newtown). This is a good place to take cafe-going, meat-eating friends, and mock-meat lovers.

Pros: Home-made sausages and patties, Cakes, Cafe-style food

Cons: More tables and chairs needed, More gluten-free options would be nice

New location - Edit

Since it's moved to the new location, Spoon has stepped up her cooking a couple of notches. The menu is pretty much the same, but the quality and flavour of the ingredients is now superb. It's gone from being a low-key punk takeaway to now beating any vegetarian restaurant in Sydney, food-wise. Good show, Spoon.

Pros: Exceptional food, Cheap

Cons: Overcrowded

Tasty food. - Edit

Came across the place by chance, and as the only vegan place in sight at the time (not to mention a craving for a burger), it was an easy decision. Not to mention one that I didn't regret. The burger I chose (forget what it was called) was devoured very quickly and left me wishing for more (but resisted, hard as it was).

Staff were friendly in that standoffish, hipsterish manner. But nice. The lighting was very bright and the interior was a little stark.

There's also a deli section (hence the name). I didn't try this (nowhere to cook as I was visiting Sydney), but I quite like the concept of this - it'd be hard to find better tasting burger patties.

Pros: Great burgers, The deli section

EXACTLY what Enmore/ Newtown needed! YUM! - Edit

Vegan comfort food! YAY! I love this place, especially the schnitzel burger, with the lot! The smokey rasher bacon is particularly delish :)
Polish off a burger on site and buy some vegan sausages to cook at home too!

It would really incredible if this place continues to thrive, and maybe it could be of a sit down affair... (at the moment there are just a few seats, not really a sit-down cafe, more of a take-away vibe).

Anyway, thanks Spoons, you give me faith in existence/ Sydney.

Pros: comfort food, vegan bacon, inexpensive

The most amazing place in the world - Edit

Where do I start... As you walk in your greeted by beautiful smells from the cookery type section where you can buy sausage rolls & huge burgers filled with caramelized onion, salad, mushrooms etc & the burgers & sausages you can purchase in front of you.They have everything, sausages- christmas sausages with rosemary & herbs, traditional, polenta sausages & all of them literally melt in your mouth, & very easy to cook. They have snitsel, seitan, burgers which are beautiful,& a Devine tvp spaghetti Bolognaise sauce which is one of the best things I've tasted in my life. Along with that they have a few shelves filled with sauces & other useful condiments & so forth. The staff are very nice & helpful, the prices abit pricey but really how many vegan butchers are there?

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great flavour

Cons: Haven't seen any other ones

Brilliant. Go there. - Edit

All right!
Get a delicious big fresh burger (nourishing and vegan to boot) for a great price. Excellent tasty food.
Its great friendly earnest place, not trying to be elitist, pompous or superior. There's no attitude of a 3-hat chef, instead there's the warmth and honesty of a tuck shop lady.
There's no right-on hemp-bound menu, its all on the blackboard.
Leave the Prius at home and pull up in your Valiant.
Get it?
Eat in (on the footpath), or take away.
Pick up a few vegan supplies, pies and snacks while you're there.

Pros: Good food, Interesting stuff, Value

Cons: I don't live close

Great products, friendly people - Edit

This little shop is a great addition to Enmore Road and the vegan precinct around Newtown. The products are tasty and not overly processed, mostly seitan based. You can buy sausages, schnitzels, etc., to prepare at home, or eat-in or take away a burger, pie, or other yummy treat. They also stock "socially vegan cakes", vegan cheese, sauces, and liquid smoke, among other things. There was a lovely, smiley and helpful young lady serving when I was there. Nothing to complain about.

Pros: good simple food, friendly staff, fast and convenient

Best take away food EVERRRRR - Edit

Their sausage sizzles are my favourite! They have a stall at the Marrickville Organic Markets every week and I used to go there every single sunday to get my sausage sizzle for lunch and Matt would get the schnitzel wrap. Now that they have the shop open in Enmore, we can go there whenever we want! ... and we have! The team is amazing, they love what they do and you will love how they do it! They have a lot of new hot food options on the menu now and I can't wait to try them all. There is a 'hot food' side and a 'shop' side so once you have tried their hot food and become addicted you can simply buy some to take home or to sneak into your meat-eating friends meals and fool them. They also sell liquid smoke, which I had been trying to find/buy for over a year now, it is also at a reasonable price: $10. All their products being vegan, it is really easy to order without any stress. Bring your non-vegetarian and non-vegan friends with you and show them how fun and tasty vegan food is and they might see the light!

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff, Great concept

Return to Newtown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Suzy Spoon's Vegetarian Butcher closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5642 times since Sep 2012.