Susty's Cafe

Contact 603-942-5862

159 1st New Hampshire Turnpike, Northwood, New Hampshire, USA, 03261

Vegan food cafe. Menu features items like lasagna, seitan dishes, tempeh hash, grilled cheeze, and nachos. Sunday is all-you-can-eat brunch. Bring your own wine or beer; corkscrews and glasses provided. Confirmed open, Jan 2015. Open Thu-Sat 11:30am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Buffet, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Fallenxero

Sunday brunch - Edit

Stomach too small to accommodate all the tasty food. Beyond great! They really know how to prepare vegan food. The brunch has many different flavors to try, difficult to pick a favorite.

Great Vegan Brunch - Edit

Went out of my way during a road trip to try their Sunday brunch buffet. I was not at all disappointed. Great healthy and tasty options. Best Vegan french toast I have ever had for sure (have had many). Options are a beautiful thing; this one of the few Vegan spots I have been to with a lot of options that I would actually pay for.

Pros: Everything was good.

Cons: Service could be a little better, but it wasn't ba

love this place! - Edit

My husband and I love Susty's. We try to go every Sunday for the brunch. It's a great way to try a variety of their food items which are always delicious. They make the best vegan French toast, so I recommend that. The Shepard's Pie is great too.

awesome! - Edit

My family and I love this place! They know us by name we go so much. Awesome atmosphere and 100% vegan. There breakfast bar is to die for!!

Pros: awesome staff, really good baked good

Cons: kind of exspensive

Good, Clean, Reasonable, Outdoor Seating Available - Edit

While in New Hampshire, I discovered this little cafe style restaurant. It is casual, reasonably priced, and has outdoor seating, which was great, because I was able to dine while accompanied by my pooch. I tried the lasagna, which was pretty good. I also had a soup, the name of which I can't remember, but it resembled a corn chowder with veggies in it; very delicious. I also had an iced chai drink. I have never really had one before, but I very much enjoyed it. Surprisingly, I thought that my peanut butter-chocolate brownie dessert was just okay; I would skip that on future visits. I did bring home some cookies and a pudding, but I have not yet tried them. I want to try to go to Susty's for their Sunday brunch, which will give me the chance to try a lot more items that looked good.

Pros: Good food, Clean, Outdoor Seating Available

The Best - Edit

This place is great. It's a cozy little restaurant with a super friendly staff. It's all vegan, and everything I've had was delicious.

They host a brunch every Sunday which is such a comforting & exciting experience as a vegan.

They also have cooking classes periodically!

Pros: All Vegan, Delicious, Comforting

Absolutely Delicious - Edit

I found this restaurant using my Happy Cow app, and I am so happy I did! This place was absolutely amazing, great food, great costumer service, and it is ran by a woman who makes a living making delicious vegan foods using her garden and her hands. I brought my mother who is not vegan or vegetarian and she loved the place as well. The atmosphere is laid back and calming, and you get what you pay for through and through. I will be going back very shortly!

Pros: Options! , Friendly , Excellent food

Surprise... Vegan Haven!! - Edit

What a GREAT find!! We were visiting NH back in Oct 2013 for family reasons and had some "interesting" culinary experiences before we discovered cute lil' Susty's just up Rte 4 in Northwood. We haven't lived on the NH seacoast for nearly 20 yrs. Susty's was definitely not there last time we were.

We enjoyed a most nutritious, delicious, home-cooked Sunday brunch, featuring (among many other fabulous treats!), the very best tofu scramble EVER (Sorry, Green... yours is really wonderful --> that this one beats even yours says a LOT!!) Hubs and i totally stuffed ourselves and relished every bite!

Susty's Sunday brunch offered up a great variety of colorful and inviting food choices including sweet and cinnamony homemade apple sauce. (of course, it was apple season in NH!!) Everything served was fresh and organic (if possible) and seemed simply and expertly prepared. Gramma couldn't make it any better.

If Susty's were my place... i'd update her dining room decor to match the incredibly high quality homey fare you can expect to feast on when you walk in the door hungry for something scrumptious to eat. (Don't need psychedelic 1960s Bezerkeley to serve excellent vegan eats anymore.) And i'd get more comfy chairs and tables and booths in that space. Nothing fancy, just calming and homey. I wanna hang out and meet all my friends there!! Susty's dining room needs and *deserves* a beauty and comfort makeover!! (ONLY reason for rating 4 cows instead of 5.)

My only real complaint is that my stomach wasn't bigger! i could've happily eaten even more... just because it was ALL sooo tasty and obviously prepared with much love!!

If you're a choosy vegan foodie wandering the wilds of Cow Hampshire in search of a seriously decent meal... get thyself directly to Susty's! (Do not pass GO... Don't need $200!) And enjoy!!

Thanks, Susty's, for being a real highlight in a mostly very stressful visit back up north!! xo
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 16, 2014

Pros: Friendly service!!, EXCELLENT food!!, Really REALLY yummy food!!

Cons: Dated decor in such a cute setting!!, Too few tables and no booths, Susty's isn't in SATX :P

A Vegan Oasis! - Edit

I'm not sure what surprises me more-the great food or the fact that Susty's has been around for so many years in such a very unlikely location. I live just a few miles from the restaurant, which makes it great for me. But considering there is no real "downtown Northwood" (Susty's is bordered by the public library and some gas stations)nor an apparent commune of vegans, it speaks volumes for the quality of the food.Go there and enjoy!

Pros: Good Menu with daily specials

Cons: Service can be slow at times

Awesome cafe - Edit

Great down-to earth atmosphere, great food and decent prices. We always enjoy ourselves at Susty's and I can't recommend it enough. Thanks to the other reviewers for steering me to Susty's Cafe!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Good value

Vegan Heaven - Edit

My family held my 30th birthday party here. This was my first visit to Susty's, and I loved it! Everything on the menu looked so delicious, so my sister and I went halfsies. She ordered tofu stir fry, and I ordered the shepherd pie, which was made with seitan. I also had a bite of my mother's seitan pepper steak wrap and of my father's tofu lasagna. We had the tofu fries and soy fritters for appetizers as well. It was all excellent, especially the tofu fries. The wrap was a little spicy for my liking, but everything was insanely good. There are dessert items in the restaurant, but my family had pre-ordered a birthday cake there. SOO good!

Pros: delicious food, nice environment

Do not miss Susty's Cafe. - Edit

I took my omnivore parents to this place and it went well. The tofu french fries really do live up to the hype, you can't eat just one. Lots of comfort food and beverages and kid-friendly stuff too. The Thai rolls were good, and the strawberry cake was great. I'll go back every single time I'm in NH! Oh, sweet staff and good service too. I will try to take a cooking class from them next time.

Best in the Country - Edit

I traveled all around the country and stopped in many vegan cafe's along the way. Susty's by far has the best tasting home style and extemly heathy cuisine i've had yet!!! The atmosphere is devine, the ladies are extremly hospitibe! They are always willing to share recipes and info! i love you guys!

Road trip... - Edit

We recently traveled from Bangor, Maine to Portsmouth, NH and back, so of course we had to visit Susty's. Hands down the best Lasagna we've had anywhere ! We also loved the pesto focaccia and the bbq seitan dishes. Norma was very accomodating, especially being that we had our puppies with us. We sat outside on one of the picnic tables and she served us there without hesitation. Very peaceful and lovely surroundings. We definitely look forward to visitng again, what a jewel in the NH woods !
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 09, 2007
Just stopped in again on 9/12/10, the food was better than ever, everything delicious ! We enjoyed the Tempeh hash, Roasted seitan, and brought home 2 pesto tofu focaccia's for later, which were also fantastic. Susty's is a jewel.

My boyfriend and I found Susty a few years ago! Best place in NH!! The seitan is unreal! We eat way more then we should when we go there! The nachos are excellant, grilled cheeze is phenomenal.... sietan platter amazing, seitan sandwich, foccacia sandwich, ALLLLL SO GOOOOD!!!
Do be aware there is always a wait on the food, but its all so fresh and made to order!

Our favorite restaurant - Edit

My family has been vegetarian (not vegan) for 20 years, and we always have trouble finding a place to get creative vegetarian food (not just veggie burgers or pasta primavera). Susty's has become our favorite place to eat out because they have a wide selection of creative offerings, using local organic ingredients whenever possible. The food is always delicious and the staff is always kind. Don't go when you are in a hurry for a quick meal. They don't use microwaves and everything is fresh, so food prep takes a while. But it is very well worth the wait.

I love this place - Edit

My husband and I have absolutely fallen in love with this place. The food is absolutely delicious and the portions and perfect...not too small...but not so big you leave feeling over stuffed. Their tofu fries and yummy and I can't get enough of their black bean enchiladas. Their chocolate cake is to die for.

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Good Portions

Cons: far from my house, Isn't one near my house, a ways away

Susty's can be good~portions an issue - Edit

I am a resident of Northwood and was delighted when I saw that a vegan cafe was in Northwood. The food is good. The fried Tofu poppers excellent. The pies are delicious. I wish that they would offer a lunch time option with steaming help yourself soups and trays of specials displayed and out in the front. Everytime I've gone in, the glass case is usually a little sparse and the cashier runs in the back to make your order (or at least that is my impression). I have tried most of the menu and the biggest complaint we have is the portions are skimpy which includes the insides of the sandwiches and the sides of chips etc. If you order a hummus and vegetable they usually give you a very small scoop with a few vegees. Not an abundant plate at all and not enough to split at the table. We are vegetarians and we get hungry! So while I am very glad Sustys is there, I hope they continue to improve their offerings by being more generous with the portions/the hours they are open etc.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy cuisine, clean place

Cons: small portions, hours limited, wish they would have lunch specials

sustys sustains smiles - Edit

if there is a vegan restaurant in new england you should support its this one! great folks, the food kind of has a comfort food edge to it, but everything still seems really healthy. it is totally worth a visit to go out of your way, but geez it leaves me wishing it wasnt 30-45mins away from any sort of city or passing by area. if you are passing through NH you have to go here... if you live in NH you have to go here regularly! now it would be great if it was close to somewhere but you can tell that the people who work here and run it are happy to be out of the icky cities and thier happiness comes through with how awesome it is... just check out the hours and maybe call ahead before going. oh and this place is really into catering events, so think of them for that!!!!

Dopetastically Wonderful! - Edit

The lady and I decided to take a trip up here earlier this fall to see what all the hype was about. We were astounded at how delicious every facet of our meal was. From the tofu-fries, to the aforementioned mouth-watering lasagna, to the strawberry shortcake to top it all off, this place is nothing short of spectacular.

I managed to stick my fork in the plate opposite mine to try a bite of their shepherds pie, which was equally delicious. You can plan a whole day around visiting this place as it is only about 20-30 minutes out of Portsmouth. Highly recommended it is.

Pros: Great all-vegan menu!, Excellent service, Comfortable atmosphere

Cons: not close enough to home, x, x

Susty's makes me happpppy like a cow - Edit

I love Susty's. I took cooking classes there with Norma (the owner) and she is wonderful - all about the cause and she's an excellent cook. Homestyle food tastes just excellent, and well worth the trip.

Pros: New food every day, Good prices, Tofu Foccacia to die for

Return to Northwood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Susty's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9103 times since Aug 2007.