Sushiana

732-640-0111

17 N 4th Ave, Highland Park, New Jersey, USA, 08904

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian and fish (pescatarian), Kosher, dairy-free restaurant offering Pan-Asian fare. Has vegetable sushi, dishes with mock chicken and mock beef. Kitchen uses a separate deep fryer for the veggie items. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Sat 9:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Catering, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by Michael X. James

Lots of Vegan choices! - Edit

I've been a satisfied customer at Sushiana for years--since the day they opened! The new location is spacious and clean, the staff is friendly, and I've found that they are very willing to help out with any reasonable special request. If you keep Kosher, this is the classiest joint in Highland Park!

While most of the sushi rolls are fish, there are plenty of completely vegan rolls available, as well as other asian "mock meat" dishes, including lots of fake chicken and beef Chinese options, all delicious.

They have a dedicated frier and utensils that are strictly vegan, and never come in contact with the fish, if you are concerned about that. Also I tend to be sensitive to the smell of fish, but I've never noticed a fishy smell when I've eaten there. The soups are always good, and the desserts are awesome.

My only very minor complaint is that in the summer months they blast the AC and it can get chilly in there. Bring a sweater.

Pros: Variety of yummy vegan options, 2. Clean, nice venue, Friendly staff

Cons: They do have fish. Add a star if you don't mind.

Not going there again - Edit

I used to go to Sushiana quite often -- I'm a vegan and it has been a place I could find something to eat. That was as long as it was a small place and starting out. But since they moved into their larger facility, the owner has been progressively nastier and nastier to me, less willing to work around my allergies and needs as a diabetic. Despite the fact that I have often come with 4-10 people when I come (and they chose Sushiana because I preferred it), I have been treated over the past 6 or so months as more of a nuisance than a customer (what happened to the customer is always right and trying to work with the customer? I guess that went out the window when he started doing really well....)

The worst part was when I came with my Mom, niece and nephew and good friend (who's a really good customer) for my birthday and the owner got angry at me and told me that he could accommodate me when he wasn't busy. So, after being treated badly, I stayed away for 3 months or so.

I went back today for a late lunch and they weren't busy so I assumed there would be no problem since the owner said he could accommodate me when he wasn't busy, with my Mom, brother and two nephews. I ordered something special (vegetables cooked in sesame oil since the only oils they have a sesame and soy and I'm allergic to soy) -- a few moments later, one of the waiters that I know came over and said the kitchen said they couldn't do it but we did work it out.

Later on, the owner, who wasn't there when I came it, was there when I went to use the facilities and I avoided him. But he would not be denied -- he was waiting to pounce when I came out. He said to me, "We can't keep having this." He was very nasty, despite his "sotto voce" and he continued being nasty even as I was walking out the door, all but vowing to never return.

In my opinion, no matter how good your food is, how nice the ambiance and the staff, if the owner is nasty, this is not the sort of place I would want to patronize.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-13

Cons: Nasty owner makes everything else unimportant

Interesting place - Edit

Sushiana is off the main street. Plenty of parking in its parking lot. It's very clean and the staff is friendly though they struggled a bit to understand vegan and they weren't super attentive when it came to water refills or seeing how things were (I think they came over once after we were done eating just to drop off the check). The place is kosher so no dairy at all in the restaurant. No "real" meats although they serve fish. All of the beef and chicken options are mock meats, which is really cool.

The portion size for the noodle/rice dishes are a good size. Our food was a little too oily and lacked a bit of flavoring. The mock meat isn't a type I recognized. It's very average at best. The sushi is WAY overpriced. We ordered a special roll that had kiwi and mango for like $11-$12 and it was just one roll cut into six pieces plus we were charged more for brown rice. We were expecting much more for that cost. Contrast that to the sushi we had yesterday for lunch in Freehold and had 5 veggie rolls for $13 (brown rice on these too). Steer clear of the special rolls...the regular rolls are a bit overpriced too but much more reasonable at $5 a roll (relatively speaking, of course). As far as I could tell none of this is local or organic so the high prices don't seem to be justified.

I would definitely try this place one more time, hoping that the food would be better and the cost won't be so high. I don't understand why fish is ok but beef and chicken are not but that's probably a much larger issue. It'd be great if they started using mock fish products too.

Pros: Very Clean, Plenty of Parking, Friendly Staff

Cons: Overpriced, Sushi, Food is just ok

Return to Highland Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sushiana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.