Suria Food Court - Vegetarian Food

n/a

3rd Floor, Jesselton Wing, Suria Sabah Shopping Centre, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Booth in the foodcourt on the 3rd floor of the shopping centre. Offering economy rice, porridge, and a la carte noodle dishes. Uses egg - staff can provide guidance.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Malaysian

First Review by junya

Good inexpensive food with a view - Edit

I went at around 5pm and they were out of a few things. They were very nice and tried to help answer my questions. I got the 9rm buffet and it was great. It's in a foodcourt that has big glass windows looking out onto the water.

Pros: good variety, inexpensive, view

Healthiest option we found in KK, and tasty, too - Edit

We fully agree with Junya's review below. On our lunchtime visit there were about 20 options, all but 3 of which were vegan. Everything was well prepared and had good flavor and texture, without too much oil. No MSG is used here, which is a big plus.

A kind gentleman behind the counter who spoke English and was vegan himself helped us by pointing out the only three items that contained egg, and assured us everything else was vegan.

My companion wasn't feeling well after a bad meal elsewhere the night before, so we asked if they had any simple steamed veggies. Sweetly, the gentleman volunteered to cook up a fresh plate of steamed veggies with just a little soy sauce, which was just what the doctor ordered.

And, as my friend Junya mentioned below, it's a delight to grab a table by the window with a view across the water to the islands.

If in a veg Mecca like Bangkok, we'd give this place only 4 stars (it's precooked food in a mall, after all), but here it gets 5 for being the best in town, no MSG, ocean views, and friendly willingness to cater to special needs.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!

In KK, the only eatery that matters - Edit

Fed up with KK's poor quality, overpriced and/or limited vege eateries I opted for self-catering, and while hunting for the supermarket discovered this food court. What a lucky find! The dishes were quite tasty, and not too oily or salty. Curry and tofu/mock meat dishes are RM2.50, veges RM1.50, and rice RM1.50. So a plate of rice, curry, and veges was only RM5.50. Also includes free soup and a tasty chili sauce on the side (for those of us that prefer more heat than what you typically get in KK).

When I asked about egg content, the server was unsure so she dragged an authority out of the kitchen who guided me, while she acted as interpreter.

But my first visit was at night - when I returned the next day at lunchtime, two pleasant surprises awaited. First, the selection was much better, food was fresher, and locals were queued up. Lesson: get here early for best selection. Second, the food court has grand views of nearby islands! Why eat in a dingy hole in the basement of Centrepoint, when you can dine in style at the top of the world, Ma?!

Pros: Good food, good value, Competent, friendly service, Lovely views while dining

Cons: Limited a la carte menu

Return to Kota Kinabalu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Suria Food Court - Vegetarian Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.