Sunshine's Health Food Store and Vegetarian Deli

Contact 713-643-2884

3102 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas, USA, 77087

Store with a deli cafe inside. Re-opened here 2015 after move from 4915 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. Previously located at 5959 Long Dr, Jan 2016. Open Mon-Fri 9:30am-7:00pm, Sat 9:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Raw, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Amazingrobie

Best Veggie Burgers in Town - Edit

One of the best vegetarian restaurants in town. If you want info on detoxing and going raw, this is the place to start to heal your body. They introduced me to raw living. They have been around over 20 years and they are pioneers in the vegetarian industry.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-28

Pros: Veggie burgers, Raw dishes

Cons: Not open on Sunday

Sunshine's is great for raw food. Awesome cold salad selection. - Edit

I really enjoyed Sunshine's food. There are many vegan options, and it is a quick lunch if you order the prepared cold and/or raw salads. You can also order food to be prepared like burgers and vegan nachos. Do not miss the garlic kale here, it is everything! Super vegan friendly and awesome for vegetarians of course.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy, Fast

tasty - Edit

all items on the menu today seemed vegan to me. our group had the spicy black bean burger, bean nachos and black bean sandwich. all were just delicious. the fresh pressed juices were really nice to. I would recommend giving it a try if you are in the neighborhood.

Pros: lots of vegan options, from kale, bean to soy meat

Cons: can be full around lunch, parking might be tricky

Sunshine deliciousness - Edit

Tastily good vegan comfort food, both cooked and raw. Kale salads that impress newbies to raw foods, served alongside spaghetti & meatballs, greens, Mac & cheese, all vegan, and so good that omnivores frequent the deli. Inside a moderately stocked health food store, with good literature on healthy eating, & friendly, knowledgeable staff.

Pros: Cooked & raw, Vegan comfort foods, Inexpensive

Cons: Parking, Long drive from my home

Very good food - Edit

Great food! Wish the vegan nachos were offered everyday instead of just as a special two days a week, because they're SO amazing. Also amazing: the spicy black bean burger & the raw bar (especially the "carrot tuna")! So many more things to try!

Pros: Great food

Cons: Wish the nachos were on the regular menu, Hours - they close early

Sunshine's will make you smile. - Edit

I dropped in on a Saturday afte being referred by a fellow Vegan. I had absolutley no idea on what to order. I was able to sample a few Raw dishes. Im hooked each item was so pleasing taste wise. Im working on becoming a Raw Vegan because of Sunshine's. Im also looking forward to atteind the cooking class that Sunshine's will conduct on this Saturday, October 6, 2012, at 8:30am at 3815 Live Oak Houston Texas 77004, S.H.A.P.E Community Center.

Vegan Restaurant - Edit

This is a very good restaurant. We eat here all of the time. I just have to make one correction on vasquez review. The bread they serve is sprouted bread. So therefore it is considered vegetarian.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: only location

rvasquez 22 Feb 2013 - Actually I just spoke with the owner and their normal bread is not vegan. You have to request the Ezekiel bread which is vegan and they don't always have it, but frequently do.

Great food, but not all vegan - Edit

This place has some really great food, but just be aware that the bread that they use for their burgers and sandwiches is not vegan! This is a bit confusing because they do go to the trouble of using veganaise. Depending on who you talk to they will usually say that all their food is vegan, but this is not true. Everything else is great though. I particularly like their potato salad and their soups and wraps.

Pros: Tasy food, Good Prices

Cons: Not all Vegan

Delve 22 Feb 2013 - I've already written a review, but found - after visiting again (on three more occasions), that there is a lot of confusion amongst the workers on what is and isn't vegan. That worried me a bit, and has kept me from going often. Thanks for the bread info..I really hate being fed non-vegan things..it's truly an unfair practice vegetarian restaurants seem to be participating in more and more!

Sunfired Foods - Edit

I found this place through the Happy Cow website. I liked the energy there. I had a smoothie which was delicious!! Still haven't had another like it. I also loved the vege burger! I took home some pate and potatoe salad. It was yummy. I'm glad I found this place!

Pros: the Food

Eatin' To Live - Edit

I really liked the sunflower seed pate - definitely get that when you go. I also had the beets (YUM!) and the garlic/kale salad which was VERY spicy and hot from the garlic. I smelled like garlic for two days. Ha! The portabello wrap was good, but a little too salty. Will go back and try more food. Had to drink lotsa water afterwards....

Pros: raw, VERY sweet people, tasty!

Cons: a little too salty, hidden , small

Sunfired Foods get me all fired up!!! - Edit

The soy chicken pita with avocado rocks!!!! this place is an amazing hidden treasure :)

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, great prices

Awesome! - Edit

I just found this place last week and ironically, I live no more than 3 minutes away! It truly is a hidden gem. This place is actually making me love raw dishes...especiall the sunflower seed pate and the garlic and kale salad. I also highly recommend the soy chicken sandwich. Fabulous.

Pros: non-pretentious atmosphere, close to me, tasty

Cons: should be opened on Sundays!

WILL MAKE YOU WANT MORE!!! - Edit

I'm the person who submitted this restaurant to HappyCow and I also submitted 'A Moveable Feast'. Both places are terrific for Vegan/Vegetarian food, but I've recently converted from vegan to a raw food diet and I have to say, Sunfired Foods is THE best place in Houston to go if you eat raw. Hands down. The people are super nice and the food is just out of this world. It's inexpensive and the portions are more than enough.

Being new to "raw" and not very familiar with the menu there, Arga, the person who cooks everything offered me and my girlfriend samples of most of what was in the raw food case/cooler and right away I knew we were in the right place. We were a little put off because of the location being pretty far from where we normally travel for food, but once we tried the salads, now we're hooked!

Arga even gives raw food preparation classes so you can make many of the same wonderful delicious from the comfort of your own home if you so desire.

I'm a bit hesitant to put such a glowing review here because I'm afraid that too many people will discover how wonderful it is and this once hidden treasure among the raw food community will begin to be so busy I can't get a table.

They have a revolving menu of daily specials so you can always expect something new to tempt you.

Pros: Excellent Raw Food, Friendly Atmosphere, Nice Portions

Cons: Location (A Little Far)

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunshine's Health Food Store and Vegetarian Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.