Sunshine

• Veg-friendly
Contact 030-2232525

Pauwstraat 11, Utrecht, Netherlands, 3512 TG

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian food. For vegans this is a good option if you want to eat something other than the standard Asian veggie food in Utrecht. The menu has a vegetarian section and it is easy to order a completely vegan meal since cheese and fish (tuna) are listed specifically. It is run by a family that actively promote the Ethiopian culture and want to inspire people to visit their home country, so they are always talking to people about Ethiopia and showing them pictures and guidebooks (after you are done eating). Closed Mon.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by Isle of wight

Enjoyed the food and ambiance - Edit

These people are so nice and funny! Had a great laugh with them.

They made a mixed vegan plate for us two. I really liked the taste. We had big full bellies!

Though I find the price for the mixed plate was too much (around €17pp it was I think.

great food - Edit

We have only eaten here once, but we both enjoyed it quite a lot. Had to specify we were vegans, and we were served someone else's (nonvegan) order at first, but aside from that it was a great experience, and very tasty food.

Pros: very flavorful food, filling, friendly staff

Cons: the combination meal is pretty expensive

Lively - Edit

Great restaurant in a central location with good choices for vegans and vegetarians. The atmosphere is lively and fun with good staff. The only downside is that the portions are a bit on the small side which makes it quite expensive.

Pros: Atmosphere, Staff, Quality

Cons: Not Enough Food

not completely clean - Edit

I fully agree with the other reviewers that this place offers some unique food. I've been here 3 times now and got quite food poisoned last time. Hair and even some minced meat in my veggie food. Though I took it all out, but I apparently didn't.

Pros: unique food, well priced

Cons: not hygienic, might has meat in veggie food

Lovely - Edit

I went there with a non-vegan friend, and we will both go back.

The price its low to moderate, but the food and the whole experience is worth it. We eat with our hands, I eat a mix of mostly everything, and everything was delicious. Only complain would be that "a bit spicey" ended up being too spicey, but that might be because of language barrier, and if you are not so meet-friendly, I recomend you to tell them so they dont put it too close in the plate.

Even so, the staff was very friendly and happy to let us know whatever we asked about ethiopian culture.

It was a bit noisy, and cramped, but we could eat there anyway with almost no time waiting for a table.
The music was very nice too and Im pretty sure that you could buy the cd there. With the whole decoration of the place the atmosphere is very inspiring, it makes you feel the good vibes all over the place.

After the food, the staff invited us to a few drinks, which at first included honey, but when I specified that I didnt really eat it, they quickly brought me something else to drink, also very tastee and alcohol free.

I loved it.

P.S.: I believe I spent something like 15 euros counting a great aromatic peppermint tea.

Pros: Almost everything, Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, Great tastee food and opened untill late

Cons: Need to say vegans dont eat honey, Meet to close to the vegan dishes, A bit spicey ended up too spicey

Love, Love, Love - Edit

Great restaurant , great food and great atmosphere. The moment you walk in, you are embraced into the Ethiopian culture. The service is great and the food is cheap for thr quality and quantity you get! Eating with your hands is an experience everyone should have and it really isn't thst hard to do with a delicious sour yet yummy Ethiopian pancake! The restaurant can get a bit noisy but still worth going to! Everything was beautifully spiced and not overly filling.

Pros: Great food, New experience, Perfect atmosphere

Cons: Noisy

Great Food, Very Vegan-Friendly - Edit

Very nice service: When I asked if there were any vegan options, the waiter (owner?) told us that this indeed was the case since in Ethiopia people mostly ate vegan on Fridays due to religious reasons. Hence, we were prepared a large plate of different delicate food. Afterwards, the waiter came to our table with some books about his country and very enthusiastically told us a bit more about it. This restaurant is a really great place to enjoy a homemade meal and the hospitality. I will definitely return on my next visit to Utrecht. :)

Pros: food, quality, hospitality

The BEST Night Out... - Edit

I went there with two omnis for dinner and we had the best time. It's nice to turn up and be able to announce that you're vegan and have the staff say "oh no problem, in Ethiopia we eat vegan twice a week. We know!" Excellent injeera with a delicious range of vegan toppings, and the staff were so so friendly and good at explaining how to eat it. It's a great communal atmosphere and eating experience, with delicious food and a good range of fairtrade beers (coconut beer - surprisingly good!) and delicious home-made Ethiopian honey wine. And beyond the great food and drink, I can't be enthusiastic enough about the service - the staff were so friendly and informative and even sent us home with a present! :)

I would highly recommend this place for any vegans struggling to find something interesting to eat in Utrecht - at the end of an evening at Sunshine you will be nourished, full and soul-satisfied. Further, my omni friends loved it too!

Pros: the food!, staff, atmosphere

Cons: none :)

Nice and vegan-friendly - Edit

The staff is very friendly and are happy to serve you. You can eat vegan 'pancakes' - with your hands ofcourse - with lots of vegetables. This is definitely one of the more absurd (in a positive way) options for eating out.

Pros: Absurd

Good veg food in a sea of omni restaurants - Edit

Although Sunshine is off the beaten track, it's definitely worth your while. We've been a couple of times so far and the food has been really good. For vegans it's important to note that if you order the vegetarian dishes you need to tell them that you're vegan (you might also want to say that you don't eat dairy) as they will add cheese and a cream dressing to the salad on the injera. They have a few different vegetarian toppings/curries to choose from, including dishes made from lentils, kale or brown beans. They also serve Ethiopian beer as well as fair trade Mongozo beer. Despite my initial mishap with dairy on the injera toppings, Sunshine is a great little place serving veg friendly food in a city with very few good vegan/vegetarian options.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, open late

Cons: vegans need to specify

A Great Place - Edit

What a find! This was the first time I had used Happy Cow to find somewhere to eat and as this was the closest to my hotel and I had never eaten Ethiopean before I thought I would give it a go. Comprehensive Veggie options and meat options in case you havent persuaded you mates yet.
The meal comes on a large tray and has a "pancake" more like a large pizza sized thin crumpet that the meal is served on. I went for a Veggie mix of beans, lentils, cabbage and tuna. I was told by the manager who was translating the menu that is was spicy. When I heard these words I was expecting something that would have the hairs standing up as has happened so many times before. This time it was perfect a nice spicy flavour that doesnt make you run for a glass of water. :-) Staff excellent and friendly. The Etheopian beer went down well and the complementary desert Honey wine was aslo a reall treat. Just go I cant reccomend it enough.

Pros: Food , Service, atmosphere

Return to Utrecht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunshine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2375 times since Jul 2010.