CLOSED: Sunshine Cafe

Contact 07-52511678

5f 5-1 Ishibashi-cho, Sanjo-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Previously all-veg but added meat to menu. Veg and vegan choices are clearly listed, and there is a useful picture menu of ingredients, so you could indicate what you do or don't eat. Offers organic teas. Situated above Shakey's in shopping arcade beside Teramachi. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市中京区三条通寺町東入石橋町5−1 5F. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon 12:00pm-9:30pm, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by ahimsa333

Fun and tasty - Edit

This is a lovely spot not far from the Ponto Cho area. Vegetarian options are very clearly marked in English, and meals were a good price and portions generous. I went close to closing, but it was a nice atmosphere and I can imagine it would be even more fun when busy. Good selection of teas also.

Pros: Quick, Well priced , Generous portions

Cozy Little Place With Delicious Food - Edit

My boyfriend and I hit this restaurant fairly late while visiting Kyoto last October and were happy to find it still open and serving food.

The prices are a little high, but still very reasonable.

We started with the very small ratatouille appetizer, which was delicious; we would've both been happy to snarf large bowls of the precious stuff. Then we each ordered the "tofu steak", which comes with avocado and mushrooms on top and is in a soy-based sauce. If you order this, please be sure to clarify that you want it "vegan", or else they will add oyster sauce to the already-perfect marinade.
Neither of us can explain why this was so good, because we've had plenty of other things like it over the years, but it was. It was amazing. We ended up sharing three portions of it. It came up in conversation the other day, and we both went, "Oh yeaaah, that!" wistfully, recalling the flavourful little gem of a memory and looking forward to returning sometime in the not-too-distant future.

The wee portion of ratatouille we'd shared before randomly achieving peak spiritual tofu awareness was smaller than normal, because the restaurant was going to close soon, and the owner had made sure we were aware of this. He clearly felt quite bad about serving it, even for a discounted price, and brought us each a cute little scoop of their house mango gelato when we'd finished ravaging his bean curd.

It was a lovely experience and we'll be going back more than once the next time we're in Kyoto.

Pros: Excellent, fresh food, Cozy, warm, romantic dinner atmosphere

Cons: Predictably small Japanese portions

Quick & Tasty - Edit

Not sure if they serve meat during dinner, but the lunch menu was all vegan! There were only a few offerings, including a veggie curry or soup and salad, but the dish names were translated into English and all the options sounded good. Luckily there is a big green sign marking the location inside the arcade, or it would be impossible to find! Their sweet lemonade and homemade ginger ale were perfect after a long day walking around in the sun.

Pros: All-vegan lunch, Special tea blends, Delicious

Cons: Few dish options

Good food, great service - Edit

While I'm a little disappointed that this place is no longer all Vegan, it gives me a good place to eat with my non-vegan girlfriend. They have a number of Vegan options, but with some of them they have both a vegan and non-vegan (also non-vegetarian) version, so be sure to specify.

I was disappointed to discover that while they have soy ice-cream, it contains eggs, so isn't vegan. Similarly the cakes aren't vegan, but they do have some vegan biscuits. However the service there has always been very good and the food has never disappointed.

Pros: English, Good food, Good service

Cons: Mostly non-vegan menu, Vegan dessert selection limited

Tips for finding Sunshine Cafe - Edit

Sunshine Cafe is next to JTB and across from AU. You will see a green (sandwich board) sign for Sunshine Cafe in front of a narrow hallway. Go down the hall to the elevator. Take the elevator to the 5th floor. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the food.

All vegetarian options are marked with a "V" on the menu.

Place filled up fast the evening we went (Saturday night), especially in the non-smoking area, so plan accordingly.

Pros: food, tea, cake

Cons: limited seating, could use one more staff member

Great view from the top floor - Edit

Location: in shopping arcade on Sanjo-dori , very near Teramachi -dori cross street,; on 5th floor above the shops, with a sign on the ground floor at the entrance. There are stairs and an elevator .
It's easy to find .

This is a comfortable, casual cafe with a vegetarian soup and salad set and a veg lunch set, as well as fish and other options. We had the sets and a generous raw vegetable side salad too. Sets cost about 800 yen. I would go back; it's a friendly spot with an English menu, and English speaking waitstaff . Although vegan or vegetarian options are few--at least there are some! It also serves tea, coffee, beer.

Pros: Moderate prices, Fresh crunchy salad, Vegan menu items

Cons: Small non smoking section

Hard to find but worth it! - Edit

This place took us a while to find but we really enjoyed our dinner here. Lots of veggie options, good prices, English menu available plus lovely food in a great atmosphere.
They have a record player set up that was playing some excellent tunes, staff were friendly and the restaurant is set up really well. Recommended!

Pros: Good food, Great atmosphere

Cons: Bit hard to find but OK

Convenient: Near downtown and closing time late - Edit

I had my dinner many times in Sunshine Cafe when I visited Kyoto. It is located in a famous shopping street, where my hotel is very near and many stores where I like to shop are also there. Its closing time is very late. I had my dinner there once even at almost 11:00 PM. It is a vegan friendly restaurant, but it offers more vegan dishes than I previously thought, with good services (e.g. they understand English better than other restaurants). In addition, the dishes are also delicious and not too expensive.

Pros: location in a shopping street, late closing time

venture up! - Edit

We stumbled across this restaurant and to be honest it was the name that made us look, it sounded veggie friendly and it was!
The restaurant is on about the 4th floor, you get the lift up. The decor is very nice, hippy cafe style.
The restaurant serves meat and fish as well as having a good range of veggie options.
The food is freshly cooked and was delicious especially the Tempeh (sort of chips made from soy beans)
The meal came to 2400 yen, that's for 2 mains and a side, so fairly reasonable, could be done cheaper if on strict budget.

Pros: good range of food, atmosphere

Nice space, great menu - Edit

I had a hard time finding this place, but once I did, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I ordered the tempeh pocket, which was tasty, but a little dry. Does serve seafood, which was disappointing, since it prevented me from ordering the lunch set.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good food

Cons: serves seafood

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sunshine Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3829 times since Aug 2007.