Sunrise Restaurant

530-753-5750

229 G St, Davis, California, USA, 95616

Serves meat, vegan options available. Funky little family-run Vietnamese place. The main dining area is in the back and is dim and quiet, with a TV in one corner. Service is slow, but you can go to the front and pay whenever you like. While the menu is predominately meat based, the vegetarian/vegan section on the menu features around 10 dishes including salad rolls (rice paper with tofu, mint), vege fish, lemongrass-chili tofu. Sells a wide selection of ethnic drinks, from durian shakes to salty lemonade.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by julietalagatita

Wish I could--but I do not recommend - Edit

I love that this restaurant has a vegetarian section and all of the dishes sound great. However, the place looks dirty, neglected and uninviting. There are always stacks of dirty dishes in tubs in the middle of the dining area. The TV is on. I have never seen more than one other table with other diners (not ever a good sign). The food looks like it has been sitting around. One time I asked for raw tofu in a stir fry rather than fried. They said they did not have any more raw tofu, it was all pre-fried. They showed it to me--it looked dried out and scary, but I did say I'd take it. The dish was bad. It is in such a great location, I'd love to have them up their game or let a vegetarian restaurant move in.

Pros: menu looks promising, location

Cons: food looks like it has been sitting around, it looks dingy and dirty, on a crowded night in town it is empty

Disappointing meal - Edit

We came here for dinner last night based on the reviews here and it was not a good experience.

The place doesn't look like anything special. We walked in the front and there was nobody there. Someone came when we rang the bell and guided us to the back where we picked our own table.

The decor is tacky with mirrors on every wall and a TV playing in the back of the room.

I ordered a tofu dish with veggies and asked the waiter if I could have it a little spicy. My friend ordered chow mein and also asked for it a little spicy.

We started with spring rolls which were really too chewy. Then our entrees came and we were both very disappointed. They were HOT. They were not a little spicy. The noodles in the chow mein were tough and under cooked. We never had anyone come back to ask us how our meal was or fill our water glasses (which I could have used!).

Overall it was a very disappointing meal and I will never go back.

Pros: cheap

Cons: tacky , not cooked well

Good Stuff - Edit

A very unassuming restaurant with a nice vegan selection and very friendly servers. Very flexible with special requests, including my Thai iced tea made with coconut milk and light on the sugar. We had a tasty vegan chow mien, Vietnamese spring rolls and a veggie combo with rice that had a nice kick to it, although you can specify the heat level. Two dinner entrees, one beer, one Thai iced tea and appetizer were about $25. Great value.

Pros: friendly servers, very accomodating, low key

Sweet people, sweet food - Edit

I love the people here, and they are always so helpful at making my food vegan, they even made my mother and I Thai Iced Coffee with Coconut milk, which was an extra effort. This is the only real Vietnamese restaurant in town, and while it's not like the Vietnamese food in Sacramento, it's still quite good, and their helpfulness makes up for any difference in tastes. The owners can be at times a little difficult to understand, but its not a big difficulty, so long as you're not terribly impatient or hard of hearing. They make the best boba, its cheap, and it doesn't have non-dairy creamer, and as previously mentioned, they'll make it with coconut milk if you ask. Enjoy, and support these vegan-friendly restaurateurs!

Pros: Friendly, Good value, Always willing to change food 4 ur needs

Cons: Language Barriers

Return to Davis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunrise Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.