Sunny Point Cafe

Contact 828-252-0055

626 Haywood Rd (at State St), Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28806

Serves meat, vegan options available. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Has veggie options. Mon 8:30am-2:00pm, Sun 8:30am-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 8:30am-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by lentil

Few options, super long wait - Edit

We went on a weekend morning and waited for over an hour and a half for a table. We were there for brunch and there were VERY few vegan options. My husband got the vegan Huevos Fucheros which he liked, but didn't love. I got the cornmeal hot cakes that were pretty good, but also a little dry and felt kind of anti-climatic after the long wait. (after getting a table we had a super long wait for food). The omni friends we were with seemed to LOVE their food. Shame there weren't a few more vegan options to choose from. I wouldn't go again, the wait wasn't worth it.
Also, there were dogs all around that were barking non stop. I'm all for letting dogs be in the outdoor seating, but several of the dog owners there that day seemed to have brought dogs that hate being around others. It was pretty unpleasant.

Cons: long wait, not many options, serves meat

Good options - Edit

My partner and I stumbled on their amazing garden and decided to try it out. I love that they have an extensive garden so they can incorporate local fresh veggies into their food. I tried their veggie burger with a gluten free bun and fries. It was pretty tasty, but honestly I like my homemade version better. The fries were delicious, though. If I went again I would probably try their gluten free hot cakes.
Items that can be made vegan are labeled on the menu, but you must request it to be sure of what you're getting. Gluten free items are also labeled.

Pros: Outdoor patio , Vegan, gf options

A Good Option - Edit

There wasn't too much to choose from for a vegan, but they did have a few items labelled. I ordered the breakfast salad. They subbed the non-vegan biscuit with their focaccia (which was delicious albeit oily), and subbed the fried egg for a whole half of avocado. The avo was ripe and not a brown spot to be seen! The mustard dressing, potato hash and vegan tofu bacon were outstanding. All the greens were fresh (no wilties to be found) and possibly grown in the garden patch out back...! Coffee was also perfect-- soy and almond creamers available. I'd come back again just for this salad!

Pros: Fresh produce, Cute space-- indoor, outdoor, and patio, Great coffee

Cons: Too few vegan options

One and Done - Edit

Went in the summer, but outdoor seating wasn't available. Waited more than 15 minutes for a table, but at least you can help yourself to tasty coffee! Tables are packed close together and our REALLY pregnant server could barely maneuver around. The menu is extensive, but true vegan options are minimal. As a plant-based eater, limiting my oil and salt intake, the options were even less! The place is cute and really busy, all the time. I think I'll stick to Green Sage.

Pros: outdoor seating

Cons: limited vegan options, long wait for table on weekends

Vegan Items Marked - Edit

Sunny Point had a large menu but very few vegan options. Vegan options are marked, but be careful because you have to inform the server to make the food vegan. I ordered the Hoppin' John's burger which was delish, but the bun it normally comes on was not vegan and needed to be replaced with their house made bread. For conscientious meat eaters and vegetarians, they have many organic and gluten free options and more humanely raised animal food options as well. The server we had wasn't very attentive, but that fact does not effect my review as other servers may be better.

Pros: Dog friendly (on patio), Organic options, Local foods

Cons: Few vegan options, Items labeled "vegan" must be specified when order

Love this place but very limited vegan options - Edit

Loooove this place but very limited vegan options surprisingly as Asheville is generally very vegan-friendly. For brunch, pretty much the only vegan option is the Huevos Rancheros. Can substitute avocado for eggs, they have tofu sausage- I'm pretty sure I was served Morningstar sausage there once though and it contains dairy. They only have soy milk as far as non-dairy options, no almond or coconut milk. Lovely atmosphere, GREAT raised-bed garden out back. I really wish they'd become more vegan friendly with more options!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Awesome Huevos rancheros, Dog friendly on patio

Cons: Limited vegan options, Soy milk is only dairy alternative, Sometimes long wait

sunny point - Edit

Always good food! Always busy, but if you go in the summer you can sit outside(heaters in winter sometimes). Pricy. Excellent salads. Good portions. Trendy West Asheville hot spot. check out pineapple jacks across the street if it's busy.

Pros: my fav salad, good portions, outside dining

Cons: pricy ($6 slice of cake??), very limited parking(park across street), very busy, long wait

Meh - Edit

As a vegan I don't really like this place. I like that they do local food but their vegan options are extremely limited and although they can omit things to make the couple vegetarian dishes vegan, they are rather bland in the end. This place is really more for meat eaters.

Pros: Local Ingredients, Friendly Service

Cons: Not very vegan friendly

hearty vegan breakfast - Edit

They are pretty big on the meat at Sunny Point, but they also do a couple of great and creative vegan breakfast options, as well as several other vegetarian choices. Everything is well-prepared with extremely generous portions and they'll make things vegan when they can. Always jam-packed for obvious reasons. On top of the good food and reasonable prices they have their own garden and try to serve food that's as fresh and local as possible. Only down-side is they are serving all kinds of meat as well. Too bad.

Pros: good, creative food, huge portions, reasonable prices

Cons: always crowded

What lentil said - Edit

Lentils review pretty much summed it up. The Huevos Fucheros is da bomb. They have a few very good veggie choices for any meal, but they really excel at breakfast. Service is good. I think they tried to be a little to "fancy" for dinner when they started serving it. You used to order at the counter and sit down, but The lines would form out the door for weekend brunch and people would fight for tables, some people would get food and have no table while others took tables prior to ordering food. It was a mess, but now all that is being managed by a hostess with a list.

The patio is great, but inside is sorta close quarters.

All in all it is great to have yet another good "crossover" restaurant for dining with carnivores.

Pros: good breakfast, nice little patio, Huevos Fucheros

Cons: small, busy, not much selection

Delicious if you can get in! - Edit

wonderful atmosphere with some veggie & vegan friendly items. they are usually very nice about making something vegan :-)

Pros: delicious, on site garden, atmosphere

Cons: not totally veg, usually a wait

Excellent breakfast! - Edit

The food here is delicious, fresh & healthy. I highly recommend Sunny point for breakfast or lunch. The dinner menu has much less vegetarian choices. The have the best huevos tofucheros in the world. Everything here is seasoned deliciously. Lots of fresh herbs. I don't even really like grits but I always get grits at Sunny Point. There grits are soooo good! Portions are a bit huge so watch out. Usually when I leave here I'm not hungry again for the rest of the day!

Pros: awesome brunch spot, outdoor seating, heuvos fucheros

Cons: dinner menu is more for meat eaters, portions kinda insanely huge

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunny Point Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2973 times since Sep 2008.