Sunny Place

Contact 075-7117617

168-2 Tanaka Ōichō, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan, 606-8202

One the the oldest vegetarian restaurants in Kyoto, a casual little cafe serving veggie burgers, set meals, and more. Directions: from the intersection (Hyakumanben) go west on Imadagawa, turn north (right) at the first traffic light, walk about a block, and the restaurant is on your right. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-2:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-10:30pm. As of Sep 2016 opening hours are irregular - check Facebook for daily updates.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Western

First Review by Ricardo

Sunny Place, Kyoto - Edit

Correction to previous review. Their facebook page seems to say there's been a small fire and they are closed for a few days.

I've just submitted an update suggesting the facebook page is added to the listing.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-13

Good place for vegan and organic food - Edit

Visited here for lunch once. Open for lunch during day time everyday and Friday-Sun for dinner. Owner speaks english and was helpful.
Lunch was about 100-130 Yen more expensive than other places but still quite cheap and affordable.
Limited lunch options. I had the Japanese lunch set with miso soup (vegan and organic no fish)+tea. Costed 1000 Yen. Delicious and filling food.
Also bento boxes available if you want to takeout.

Small place with large benches close to the counter. Personally would have preferred better seating.

Would probably visit again depending on which nearby restaurants are open but good place to have food if you are in that area.

Pros: Good food, Decent price

Cons: A bit cramped

A great choice! - Edit

I'm kicking myself for only coming here once during my visit to Kyoto! I had a super delicious pad thai. The menu seems to be on a rotation, so not every choice is available every day; I really had my heart set on the veggie burger mentioned by another poster, but sadly it wasn't listed on the day I was there (but my Japanese is terrible, so I didn't ask if it was possible). The chef / owner was friendly and very helpful, and made a valiant effort to explain the menu to me and to another group of foreigners that stopped in while I was there. The food was quick and delicious! My meal, including a beer, was 1500 JPY.

If you're in the northern end of Kyoto, you should definitely make a stop here. It's about a thirty minute walk from Ginkakuji, or a ten minute walk from Demachiyanagi.

Pros: friendly and helpful owner, good price, interesting menu

The best veg burger we have ever had - Edit

This little nice restaurant has a pub like feel, clean and friendly stuff. The stuff is helpful and speaks good English.
We had the avo burger and the teryiaki burger set which came also with a portion of chips and green salad. They were both amazing. We went back for lunch on our last day.
They also sell organic beverages and make amazing and strong espresso coffee :-)

Pros: Best veg burger, Clean and friendly, Make strong espresso

Cons: Wish we had more time to go back again, Feels a bit dark inside

fantastic! - Edit

Very yummy food, and for a reasonable price too (set lunch was 1000 yen ). There is no English menu, but the staff are able to explain the options in English. I had a plate with a small sample of all the other options, plus rice and soup. The cafe is easy to find, but a bit out of the way. I would highly recommend it!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, easy to find

Cons: location

Great food and atmosphere! - Edit

Sunny place is open again. I used to live in Kyoto two years back when sunny place mysteriously was closed all the time so I never had a chance to go. This time I was just visiting Kyoto since I now live in Kanagawa and on a small chance that it might be open I went there for lunch. And they were. I have been there two times now and they seem to have lunch monday to friday until 14:30, and this week another group "Plant Lab" will start to do dinner between 18-22 on friday to sunday. If you are wondering about other places to eat, the lady having the lunch restaurant has a ton of good Kyoto-veggie-tips.

Pros: Tasty wholesome food, Friendly People, Hippie atmosphere

Cons: Low on staff, Can run out of food when busy

sweet little spot with great food made with love - Edit

This very small counter top restaurant serves up such great food that feels heart and soul warming. Traditional japanese set lunch with various side dishes like gomae, hijiki with lotus root, sweet potato and pickles. The rice was delicious, great vegan miso soup and the owner and her assistant so clearly put their heart into the food- it is beautiful, filling and healthy. Really wonderful place- by far my favorite in Kyoto.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Artfully prepared, Very comfortable informal vibe

Cons: Small

Re-opened! - Edit

Happy to report that this place has now re-opened. I'm studying Japanese in Kyoto and had heard about this restaurant but never got a chance to go before they closed. In September I happened to pass by and there was a sign outside saying something about the first of October. I decided to come back later and finally did today to discover it had re-opened in October. Sugoi!

Since I haven't been there before I can't tell if anything has changed, but they still serve a lunch set with fried soy chicken which was nice and juicy. I also had a cinnamon rice muffin which was a bit dry, but the chestnut jam that came with it was good. I chatted a bit with the staff (two ladies) and they were friendly. I totally forgot about the millet burger, but I guess I will have another chance. ;)

Wasn't Open - Edit

We tried going to this place three times over a week but it wasn't open and had no explanation. We were really looking forward to trying the famous millet burger.

Cons: Not open

cozy and comfortable - Edit

I regularly eat at this nice little restaurant because I love their home-made style dishes. Owner and all the workers there are very friendly, which always makes me feel at home and enjoy the conversations with them. Highly recommended even for non-vegetarians as food there is simply so good! My fav is fried soy chicken!!

Pros: tasty food, affordably priced, friendly workers

Delicious millet burger! - Edit

We tried to eat here several times but it was shut on 2 occasions, anyway, last night in Kyoto we made it. The closest tourist things were the imperial palace and Kyoto university. It took about 40 mins to get here from Kyoto Station (where we were staying). Happy cow instructions were good and google map correct. Friendly staff, you take your shoes off and sit at the counter. We ordered the millet burger because other reviewers had recommended them, and they were superb. Really tasty and came with a side-order (you choose from the bowls at the counter). Owner spoke small amount of English, but felt readily accessible to tourists like us with little Japanese. It was excellent value for money. Highly recommended if you are in the area. Its pretty close to Cafe Proverbs.

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy cuisine, Good value

Nice people and great food - Edit

Sunny Place is small but cozy with good and affordable food. I was there on the 12 of may 2010 and they had a very basic English menu and the owner didn't speak too much English, but it's easy to just point and say kudasai! :)

The Millet burger was my favorite and i would also recommend the organic beer and chai tea.

By my Swedish standards they have a bit peculiar opening hours , 1200-1400 & 1800-2230 wed - mon (closed on Tuesday) but it's awesome to be able to get a good vegan burger at 2215!

Pros: Good food, Good value

Cons: Strange hours

Love the v.chicken - Edit

We ate at Sunny Place in August 2009- the lunch sets are great value (under 1000 Yen) and delicious. We ate the fried gluten chicken with choice of 3 fresh salads, brown rice and miso soup and the millet burger set. We also had a fresh soy chai.

The staff are really friendly and we were glad to be able to eat food made by them again (more fried gluten chicken) at the Kyoto Vegan Festival.

The restaurant is easy to find and close to a bus stop. It is small, but has a really cozy atmosphere. English may be limited, but the shop is clearly signed in English.

Pros: cheap, delicious

A lot of food and all of it delicious - Edit

Sunny Place is very small and casual but very friendly. The menu has limited amounts of English but the staff was very helpful. We went in between lunch and dinner hours, so we were worried because sets would not be available. However, even though we went ala carte we not only got substantial entrees but our choice of three sides and a bowl of soup and another bowl of rice. For two people at an odd hour it was only 1900 yen. This is an incredible value for incredible food. Right around the corner from Cafe Proverbs, just go down the street running diagonally NW from the corner of Imadegawa-dori and Higashioji-dori, turn right at the first main intersection. Closed Tuesdays, lunch from 12:00-14:00, dinner from 18:00 to 22:00.

Pros: delicious options, numerous selections, great atmosphere

Great food and service - Edit

Went on Oct 18, 2009. The restaurant has a very casual setting and the service is great. Tried the Millet burger and the Soy "pork" burger and they taste great! Not very expensive (ard yen750), which is considered cheap in japan.

It is within walking distance (2mins walk) from Cafe 15:17

Pros: Friendly staff, Makes me feel home

Cons: Nil

Great value - Edit

Lunch/Dinner Set is 850~950 yen, including misoshiro and brown rice. The staff is quite friendly, but the place has only a counter for about 10~12 people. Though I didn't see an English menu, apparently they can speak a little bit.

Personally, I felt that the quantity of food was not much, but I think it's fair for the price. Quality is good, vegan only.

Pros: Economic, Friendly, Healthy

Cons: Small place, A bit hard to find

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunny Place closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.