Sunmoon Bakery - Gladston

Contact 359895648477

W Gladston 18 B (at Kniaz Boris), Sofia, Bulgaria, 1000

Organic bakery and restaurant with a few outlets; this is its first. Makes artisan bread using ancient grains. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Bulgarian

First Review by JoannaPolko

Comfort affordable food - Edit

Good vegan options on the menu at affordable prices.

Ordered the St George's Tempeh and it was really really good.
Also the Tempeh curry was a great choice full of flavour.

Unfortunately when I was there non of the desserts or cookies were vegan so that was a bummer.

Pros: Cosy feeling, Price

Cons: No vegan dessert

Quite disappointed with it as a restaurant - Edit

I was very excited to visit my Bulgarian friend's favourite restaurant in Sofia but I left feeling disappointed. The interior was lovely and the staff were very friendky but the food was very expensive for small portions - my boyfriend had an excellent "steak" (a vegetable patty with lots of beetroot) which was good but very small and I had a very disappointing pizza. It was just a big crunchy flat bread with hummus and a very basic green salad on top. It was ok, but it wasnt a pizza at all, it was bread and hummus, and it didnt have half tbe ingredients that the menu promised it would have. Overrall I think it would make a very nice stop during the day as a coffee shop but the restaurant menu is inconsistent. The drinks were interesting and very tasty. I had a kind of rose smoothie.

Pros: friendly staff, pretty place, nice drinks

Cons: Food nothing like what is said, Small portions and disappointing options, expensive

My favorite of all branches! - Edit

The daily menu is usually great and it is well worth coming here for it. I also love their tempeh dishes, and the thina spirulina dip. Lovely bread and fab desserts, too - give the lavender tart a try!

Pros: Delicious food., Great daily menu selections., Fabulous desserts, bread, cookies.

Nice-looking bakery that distrust their costumers - Edit

All in all it's a cozy and nice place which offers very delicious looking bread. Unfortunately I was there only a few hours prior to my departure from Bulgaria, so I only drank a few coffees. It was pretty crowded since many people wanted to buy lots of bakery and other take-away stuff. The only thing I disliked a lot was the CCTV surveillance for instance in the small back room. I wouldn't feel comfortable to sit there on the sofa talking with friends while being watched by a camera from above. Not only would I be irritated, also there isn't anything valuable or special in there to explain the necessity of a camera. Only two painting showing eyes also kinda watching, which was quite ironic.

Cute Organic Bakery & Restaurant :) - Edit

This was one of the very few veg places open in Sofia on the Ortadox Easter weekend on our recent trip. When we arrived the staff were super friendly with very good English :) We felt at home straight away.

It is a small restaurant with two communal tables - so I can see how this may be a problem when they are busy, but due to being the Easter weekend and most people staying home it was quiet and we were only one of 4 in the restaurant.

We ordered drinks including iced tea of hibiscus & mint, bulgarian beer (for my boyfriend), and kombucha - all delish! We had Soup as entree with some fresh bread from the bakery and then we had mains - I had the broccoli & cashew with ginger sauce and my boyfriend had a meal which resembled blended up capsicum, tomato and spices topped with bulgarian feta - kind of like a soup but thicker - it is vegan without the feta - but make sure you order some bread to go with it - it was the most delicious meal of them all! Mine unfortunately was lacking in flavour - but because I was so hungry I ate it all. For dessert we got take aways - 2x vegan ginger cookies, 2x vegan chocolate cookies and raw chocolate-beetroot cake. All were not bad, but again not amazing, lacked a little flavour - I also make raw cakes for a living so guess I am a little critical but I think the texture of the raw beetroot chocolate cake wasn't that great, however the flavour was good.

Overall a good experience and I would go back. I also really appreciated their quick response to my Facebook message asking if they were open over Easter - they were the only veg restaurant that was open on Easter Monday too.

Pros: Lovely Staff! :), Location , Vegan Treats to Takeaway :)

Cons: Some food lacked flavour, Small - Communal Tables

Love this place! - Edit

I was thrilled when this place turned out to be on the corner of the street my hostel was staying in. (I went to the William Gladstone location.) It is an all vegan bakery, their breads are gorgeous and smell amazing. They also have cookies, cakes, and lots other items. They also offer a daily menu. There are several vegan options and some raw ones too. It was such a great place to linger with their home made lemonade (so good!) and breads for a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast. It has a great vibe and lovely communal tables in the front and some smaller ones in the back. And the staff is great. The woman who served me was really knowledgeable and able to point out what items were vegan and was happy to translate ingredients and share what her favorites were. Everyone there was really nice and cool. The kind of people you would want to be friends with. Also, the place was immaculate. It was a bit slow the morning I was in and they were all doing a lot of cleaning of shelves, etc. They had a lot of initiative, if I was the owner, I would be thrilled to have employees like these. Again, I was delightfully surprised at the plethora and quality of veggie and vegan options in Sofia and this place was just great.

Good place to go for a change - Edit

Located on a small street close to "Vitosha" blvd. in the city centre,this cosy place is a bakery and a restaurant in one.

The bread they bake, is really good and tasty,but a bit expensive.

The restaurant is small and most of the times is very busy.

They serve vegan and vegetarian meals.

The menu is not very big,but still OK.

Here I ate the worst soup in my life,about a year ago,but overall the food is good. Really good desserts.

Service was not good most of the times.

They cover the tables, the bar,sell bread and take money on the cashier too. Sometimes there is a queue for the bread.

I would suggest they have different people to do the different jobs.

Pros: located in the city center, cosy, nice desserts

Cons: not easy to find, small place,few tables , poor service

Not quite sure how I feel - Edit

I ate at this location twice and the other location once. At this location, I had the chickpea burger which I thought would be one burger, but was three little burgers. They were tasty, but the portion size was very small and more of an appetizer portion size than a main course portion size. When I arrived, I saw people waiting in line and not having been there before, I also stood in line. However, once at the register, I found out that the line was only for people to get things to go such as bread or food to go, but since I was already there I ordered the veganized chickpea burger. When it came, there was a cream thing and I asked the waitress what it was. Perhaps she didn't understand, because she just said it was vegan and walked away. I didn't feel like calling her over to ask again what was I supposed to do with it, because I couldn't tell if it was vegan mayo or what or for the burger or salad. Also on the menu online, it said it was 450g but in the restaurant on the menu, it was crossed out and 350g was written instead. I didn't try the vegan mayo or sour cream, but I think even if I had, I still would not have been full. The food was tasty though, but the portion size was very small.

I returned again another day and had the Thai tofu dish. I didn't really like it, because I didn't like the tofu. It resembled the tofu, I bought once in a store that had round corners and that I didn't like because it had a strong unpleasant taste. The portion size was good though, but I would not recommend tofu dishes, because the tofu tastes a bit strange. This time the waiter was more helpful. Also the manager or owner was also helpful.

This location only has communal seating, and it is a bit crowded. In order to leave, I had to ask other people to get up, because otherwise I would not have been to get past them. The other location is bigger, and I prefer that location, although this one is a little closer to the main pedestrian street.

Bulgarian Style at its best! - Edit

Very cute resturant with very young and friendy people working there! The desserts are all the time changing, so just ask them about it :)! i found lots of great vegan cakes and even traditional bulgarian cuisin (vegan) :)! loved it

ps: if you go there, try the whole rye drink! ;-)

Pros: Lots of vegan food, friendly stuff, super cute resturant

Great Find - Edit

Very nice approach to healthy eating in Bulgaria. I love the home feel of the place, and the staff is very professional, attentive and friendly ( which is not usual for Bulgaria ). I like the fact that there are tables on the street, so one can really submerge in the Sofia atmosphere. the street is fairly quiet so one can spent a few hours there, enjoying organic beer and great food!
the food is delicious, fairly simple and to the point, definitely rooted to the BUlgarian cuisine, but VEGAN! dishes that are not Vegan are marked so one can feel very comfortable in selecting.
i did choose a dessert as well, and being very picky on good dessert, was not impressed!
A must visit for Vegans in Sofia! i have a feeling one get easily become regular, since the options in town are limited!

Pros: atmosphere , food, friendly staff

Great place! - Edit

Cozy venue with a lot of vegan options, friendly English-speaking staff and superb bread! Unfortunately I wasn't able to try their desserts, but everything else I ate (a soup, a salad and a sandwich) was really delicious.

Pros: tasty dishes, friendly staff, cozy, nice place

Not impressed! - Edit

Decided to buy my bread at the bakery before ordering dinner. Cashier was either very bad at math or dishonest. Wrong change. When I pointed this out, she angrily gave me the 2 Leva difference. After this, we decided to eat elsewhere. Be sure to ask for a receipt and check your change!

Cons: short changed

Ridiculously tasty! - Edit

Great staff and excellent food! It's one of the best veggie places i've visited, couldn't believe the way everything tasted, it was simply an amazing culinary experience...It's a must visit for all the hungry (and not so hungry...but curious) healthy food fans..Absolutely loved it!!!

Pros: super tasty, super healthy, super friendly staff

Cons: we don't have it in NL

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunmoon Bakery - Gladston closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.