First Review by aaronsk

updated: won't go back - Edit

This place is disgusting; from the hair in the food, the crusty crunky silverware, the open-toed waiter (not mine thankfully) who kept scratching his feet, to the dirty glass of sour oj, to the just dirty floors and tables, there is not much I can say that would encourage you to go. Other than what I just said the portions are small and the food is not anything you should ever crave, simple and made in an unsanitary fashion. I think the DOH should pay them a visit, or whoever in WA state that checks on such matters.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 15, 2011
If you have the app, "Cleanly", it shows how gross this is. It has all cafes listed in the area by health inspections. There you can see the myriad of violations. Nasty

Cons: check the health code violations

They really need to update - Edit

This restaurant is a classic example of hit-or-miss, for food, service, and value. Weekend brunches get busy. Moderate amount of options for vegans. It seems like the menu hasn't changed since the 70s, it could really use an update. Worn but comfy atmosphere.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 13, 2006

Pros: vegan options, comfortable, fair prices

Cons: bad coffee, crowded at times, stagnant

one of my favorites - Edit

My favorite is the brunch, tofu scramble (don't forget to order the lemon-tahini sauce - it's excellent, you can also buy it by the bottle) and the vegan Sunlight Rancheros with tastily seasoned tofu, staff are unpretentious and down to earth. I like the whole grain breads - hard to find in most veggie restaurants! Organic coffee, nut burger and tempeh burgers are great too. One of my favorite most frequented veggie restaurants.

My Favorite Breakfast place - Edit

Being a vegetarian is hard when you want to find good breakfast, especially when you don't eat eggs.

This place is hands down the most awesome breakfast place a vegan can find!!! I've been doing since I was a small child! My parents got to know the owners and they always were amazed by them raising vegetarian babies!

The food rocks, the service is awesome!!!

Pros: Vegan, Friendly, Great atmosphere

Cons: Parking, Long lines at times

Passible Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

I just moved into the area so I was really hoping to like this place better. I went for a Sunday Brunch and I don't want to scare people away from this place because it wasn't bad but it is nothing really special. If you are a casual vegetarian or just veggie curious this place might be for you but I didn't feel this place was very vegan friendly sure they had choices but I was served tea in a metal container marked "dairy milk" with tape. Now this is not a huge crime but as a vegan I didn't care for it too much. The food was greasy and had a sort of vegetarian "greasy spoon" quasi run down Denny's feel going for it. If this is your thing then you should love it. I always hate it when I say this about vegetarian restaurants especially ones next to where I live but I have no plans on going back and I couldn't in good conscience recommend this place to vegans but feel free to check it out and prove me wrong.

Pros: filling veggie foods, nice neighborhood to walk around

Cons: not very vegan friendly

Kinda hippie-ish - Edit

I agree with the comment "needs to update". The food seems a bit old fashioned, granola-hippie (no offense I hope to anyone!) Some items can be made vegan, but usually by taking away the dairy - which leaves flavors uncomplex. Good food overall - not great. Good prices - but still not great. Decent service. A solid, reliable 3 stars.

Cons: slim vegan options

Chunky scramble - Edit

I ordered this veggie scramble, vegan and Im thinkin' its going to taste like a normal scramble, might resemble scrambled eggs....NOPE! I got a bunch of steamed veggies with big chunks of poorly seasoned tofu.

The potatoes and the English Muffin were really good. I ordered a latte and it was pretty bad, but the service was really really good.

Pros: Fast Service, Good Music, Lots of Seating

Cons: Bland Vegan Options

Great Food! - Edit

I patron Sunlight Cafe often. The salads are fresh and the soups are prepared daily and delicious. My favorite is the Nutburger, with thier own special blends, it's just yummy and they will not give up the recipe lol.

If you are visiting the Seattle area or live here, definitely take a ride over to this place you won't be dissappointed in the food.

Pros: Location, Food

Cons: Bathroooms need to smell better, Place needs come updating

A nice surprise - Edit

I visited the Sunlight Cafe a few years ago with a less than memorable experience when I first moved to Seattle. The service was super slow and we got a dish we didn't order. I just visited again with a friend and decided to give it another try, two and a half years later. I was much more impressed this time around. The staff was friendly and even though the service wasn't super quick, I saw that only one server was working, so take that into consideration that they may just be understaffed at times and take some patience with you. It's worth it! I had their house tofu on a bed of salad greens and it was enough for two meals, very good. My friend had a breakfast dish and loved it. I would recommend this place to those that have non-vegan friends they want to treat.

Smile - Edit

We go here often. Like the menu and the great soups. The staff seen to be usually grumpy. A note to the owner. Please pay them more or at least ask them to smile. It makes for a more uncomfortable surrounding

Pros: Menu, Soups, Price

Cons: Grumpy staff

Great Experience - Edit

Maybe this place has been whipped into shape since the last reviews. All I can say is, if you live in a neighborhood with a veg restaurant like this and a vegetarian sushi joint a few doors down, you're lucky. I ate here on a Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. The soup was great. I had a huge plate of brown rice, steamed veggies, and tofu in a garlic ginger sauce that left me fat and happy. Service was pleasant and clean.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Staff, Healthy Cuisine

Cons: Only breakfast til 3PM

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunlight Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3117 times since Aug 2007.