Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 703-237-3888

6304 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia, USA, 22044

Extensive menu featuring mostly all vegan food: soups, organic salads, noodle dishes, sandwiches, vegetarian sushi, rice dishes, main plates, vegan desserts, and more. Some dishes feature imitation meat. Vegan items clearly labeled. Gluten free options. There are 2 party room with screen and projector, 2 Japanese-style party room with bamboo screen. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Juice bar, Asian

First Review by feorag

Great food and gracious hosts - Edit

We had planned to go to another DC vegan restaurant but we were running late. In a late night scramble to find vegan food we arrived at Sunflower about 20 minutes prior to close and we were the only ones there. We could tell they were already packing up for the night So we started to leave (I know how much staff love the last minute "are you still open?" customers) but they were very kind and gracious and opened the kitchen. We (quickly) ordered the moo shoo rolls, lo mein, and the "Adventures in Organic Tempeh Land." All came out hot, fast, and delicious. Huge chunks of tempeh but they had a great flavor and perfect crumbly texture. We will be back!

Love - Edit

I have loved this place for years! They have a very friendly staff, and an awesome menu! Most of the menu is vegan, but there are a few, clearly marked, vegetarian items. I typically start with the Five Spice Fried Chicken, and perhaps an order of Spring Rolls. I highly recommend the Vegan General Tso or the Popeye's Favorite. Both very savory dishes, and both are a hit for my family. I am also a fan of the Colorful Vegetable Rice Noodles, the Rice Noodles in Curry Soup, as well as the Orange Chicken Chunk Sandwich . . . depending on what you're in the mood for.

I have been going to this branch of Sunflower since they first opened, but I have also been to their branch in Vienna. Stop by if you're in the mood for some savory Veggie Asian-fusion lunch/dinner!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 24, 2013

*I'd like to note that they recently began offering a military discount. Just show them your military ID, and you'll receive 10% off your meal!

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff, Vegan Options

Very accommodating! - Edit

I chose this restaurant to go to after my high school graduation because it was held in constitution hall and we were meeting family from Virginia. The staff is outstanding, they gave us our own private room! I couldn't have picked a better establishment to hold this dinner. It was a fantastic environment to interact with family, and plenty of appetizer choices surely aided in that pursuit. The expansive menu met all my desires and is variable for any craving. I couldn't reccomend this place enough!

Pros: Wonderful staff, Amazing menu and selection, Private room!

Good food. - Edit

Most of the menu items are vegan. The non-vegan items are marked. There are also gluten-free items marked. The food was served relatively quickly. Prices are good as well.

My meat-eating family members enjoyed the food too.

I'm a Happy Cow! - Edit

I was specifically looking for another vegetarian restaurant in this very hectic complex intersection of roads when I pleasantly discovered the sign for Sunflower and decided to stop. Sixteen 11x17 pages on the menu left me in awe. I overate a dine-in lunch and purchased one to go. Very happy with the taste, selection, and atmosphere.

Pros: Huge selection

2 Responses

DannyRebel 10 May 2015 - I returned to this location and learned that they are no longer affiliated with the Vienna location. The food was marvelous again, so I could not help but order a take-out meal after dining in.
It might be helpful to note this Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant's specific website:

DannyRebel 19 Nov 2015 - Traveling in the area again and could not resist. Thanksgiving entree special is available and amazing. Coconut shrimp gave me a scare. I thought it was actually shrimp! It was THAT convincing, but then again it's been a few decades since I converted.

Disappointed again... - Edit

I visited the Vienna location once, and while everyone was kind, I did not care for the food. It tasted like frozen vegetables cooked in bottled PF Chang sauce. When in Falls Church last week, though, I decided to give this other location a try. I thought that I just ordered something mediocre the last time. I was disappointed again.

I started with fried spring rolls and the cold basil rolls; I enjoyed both of them on my first visit, and I enjoyed them this time, too. The fried spring rolls were served with peanut sauce, which was a fun change. As it was lunch time, there was also salad, which I couldn't really stomach: it was just lettuce in what tasted like soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Then for the entrees. My husband got the ma pao tofu, which was mixed frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots, lima beans) and soft tofu in a bland sauce. I got the ocean filets, which were good, but 1.) they tasted nothing like the ocean and 2.) they were floating in overly sweet sauce with frozen-style veggies. The rice, too, was unpleasant; dry and flavorless.

I hate leaving negative reviews like this, but I felt like I wasted perfectly good money on a lackluster experience. If I had made the food myself, I wouldn't have eaten it. It would not pass my own taste test. But as I paid, I felt obligated to finish my meal.

I will likely never return to either Sunflower location, which sucks, because everyone was friendly, and I really admire the idea of an all-vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: friendly service, good appetizers

Cons: bland entrees

lots of choices!! - Edit

Everything is vegan except for a few items that are vegetarian (and clearly marked on the menu). We had cold basil rolls, daikon radish cakes, a noodle dish with awesome mushrooms and a kale burdock dish with chickpeas and organic tofu over brown rice. They also have a bunch of meat substitute sandwiches and vegan desserts! Yum!!

Delicious, veg•an, affordable - Edit

I came to Sunflower in 2011 and enjoyed it so much that when I moved to Rio de Janeiro I often thought of it fondly. I was happy to be transferred back to DC early this year and introduced my new wife to the menu. She loves it. Although she's not a complete vegetarian, she often asks that we go back there, at least once a week. Her choice is the "Popey's Favorite" and mine is their Thai soup. The waitstaff is very genial and the kitchen very accomodating when my wife requests "not spicy". Good food, healthful cuisine, nice atmosphere and friendly staff--what more could one ask for?

Pros: Varied Cuisine, Vegetarian or Vegan options ONLY, Nice Staff

Cons: Furniture dated, Outdoor seating has no view except road

Vegetarian

Contributions +18

Five happy cows!! - Edit

A quaint lil restaurant with amazing food! I've never eaten anything I didn't like here. The staff is always friendly even when it's very busy. I try to eat here any chance I get!

Pros: Amazing food, Jasmine tea, There's sunflowers everywhere!

We Drive 40 miles Every Sunday to Eat at Sunflower - Edit

This is such a great place. The food is organic, fresh, and leaves you elevated when you leave. If you have any residual tension after a day of work, have the Wakame Soup. Tensions will be gone! The staff is so friendly and make your dining experience so pleasant. We drive 40 miles every Sunday to eat at Sunflower. Our only complaint is they have not opened Sunflower in Maryland.

Pros: Food is fresh, tasty & great, Friendliest staff of any restaurant, You leave relaxed

Cons: No Sunflower yet in Maryland

Excellent place - Edit

This place has great vegetarian and vegan dishes, very nicely prepared. There are some tasty mock meats that are less than healthy, as well as a number of natural and healthy offerings. The décor is a bit odd, and the place is not entirely easy to get to, but these things are certainly worth winking at considering the excellence of the food.

Pros: very fine food, decent price

Cons: location is a bit hard to find, decor is odd

Vegetarian

Contributions +109

good stuff - Edit

I tried them out last week. I had the Sunflower's Satisfaction, which was great, though the red bell peppers were much hotter than I expected. (Be ready for a runny nose!) I also had their Steamed Tapioca Pearl Patty w/Five Spices Stuffed, which was very good as well.

Service was a little slow, and the seat I sat in had a tear in the cushion they had merely covered with tape.

But the food was quite good and not too pricy.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices, decent view

Cons: service

Great place to eat - Edit

There is another location in Vienna, VA as well as the Falls Church one, and I've been going to both Sunflowers regularly for several years. The food is great and the staff is very friendly. Nice selection of appetizers and entrees, good soups and desserts; something for everyone. A couple of the items on the menu are not vegan (where noted) but are vegetarian and vegan versions of them are available. The Falls Church location has a slightly better menu as it seems they test out new items at that location first.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value

Great Find - Edit

Wow, what a last minute find. My husband and i went to see Amma, the hugging saint, (amma.org), and i did a search and found this. i wish there was a restaurant like this in NJ. It was very good. The decor is lovely, yellow/orange with sunflower paintings and sunflower things everywhere, very cozy yet uplifting. i didn't like the uncomfortable hard-back chairs though. i had the "Macro Plate" which was good but could have used a little more rice and beans and the curry sauce was a little spicy. Also there was some water on the bottom of the plate. But it was still good. i also had the Tofu Pumpkin Pie and at first i thought the orange sauce on top tasted "cheap" or something but after the first bite i realized this was a very interesting, effervescent, tasty combination. It was small but i would order it again. My husband had the Macrobiotic Tofu and it was really good-not spicy.

One other complaint would be the unfriendly waitress.

Well i wish we ordered more so i could review more things, so, until next time...

Pros: Great Food, Lovely Atmosphere

Cons: Unfriendly waitress, Hard back chairs, Busy Area

2 Responses

Ishani 25 Aug 2010 - Thank you!! i will check it out.

Jaelus 22 Feb 2013 - There actually is a similar restaurant in NJ called Veggie Heaven. They have three locations, one in Montclair, one in Hackensack, and one off of Rt 46 that I wouldn't recommend.

can't wait to get back - Edit

Had some friends in DC take us to this place when we were visiting as other vegan friends of theirs had recommended it. Loved the atmosphere service and food. We had the fried chicken appetizer, general tso's, and a soup with "meat"balls. Really enjoyed them all. We're heading back to the area next week, and visiting them again is the top thing on our list. Can't believe someone's dissing the atmosphere because of the cute pro-vegan t-shirts the staff wears....

Pros: nice atmosphere, good variety (mostly asian)

Try the fried chicken - Edit

The fried chicken appetizer ended my Mississippi-born partner's years-long quest to find a veg alternative to a childhood favorite. The staff is always delightful, but the Seven Corners location is a nightmare to get to on the best of days.

Pros: food, staff

Cons: high-traffic intersection

Return to Falls Church Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.