Sunflower Thai Vegetarian Restaurant

• Friend
Contact 09-3020616

50 High St, Shop 6, Auckland, New Zealand,

Serves Thai food, vegetables dishes, and a variety of mock meats. Originally was Sunflower Cafe and changed management in 2013 with modified menu and full table service. Reported February 2017 to be 100% vegan. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Take-out

First Review by studioahimsa

Cheap and crazy tastey - Edit

Probably one of the cheapest option for eating out (vegan) in auckland and super nice, lots of lock meats which I love but if you're not into that there are also other option like eggplant and toge etc.

Pros: completely vegan, cheap

Cons: none I can't think of

Simple setting, delectable food - Edit

100% vegan restaurant offering huge variety with plenty of mock meats. Try the mutton kebabs and the chicken in peanut sauce. Staff were very friendly.

Nice staff bad food - Edit

I was very happy when I found a Thai vegan restaurant in Auckland. The location is great and staff are super friendly. Unfortunately, food is bad. I ate vegan Thai food in many countries, and I always loved it. However, this time I was very disappointed. Dumplings were not fresh, and the noodles soup with vegetables and tofu chicken was tasteless. The noodles were like glue, and the tofu chicken was bad. I wish I could always give 5 stars to vegan restaurants, but my review must be honest. I hope they will improve the quality of the food.

Best Thai food and service! - Edit

We visited this restaurant not too long ago. Being travellers from Canada, we weren't familiar with the area. We finally found it and were greeted and seated quickly. The atmosphere was basic but comfortable and welcoming, but don't let the simplicity of decor fool you. This is hands down the best Thai food I have ever had!

I was also happy to see the chefs exit the kitchen to get the fresh ingredients for our meals.

It didn't take too long to fet our meals , but it was obviouilsy not rushed either. You can tell they take pride in their dishes.

We enjoyed every bite of it!

Unfortunately, they dont take credit cards, which was a bit surprising as they are very close to many hotels in the area.

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Pros: Service, Taste , Cost

Cons: Too kind

good for lunch - Edit

not just thai but some chinese too - it used to be a chinese vege restaurant before they took over so i think some of the menu is carried over from that.
they do a really nice chinese hot and sour soup- fantastic in winter and my favourite is spicy basil with mock chicken.
nice staff- i wish them all the best

Pros: cheapish, fresh

Cons: can be slow at peak times

Delicious Vegan Thai Food - Edit

Sunflower has a great selection from their menu, everything from dumplings to curries and sizzling hot plates.

I really like their Massman Curry and dumplings.

If you're not a fan of meat substitutes then this might not be the place for you.

Many non vegans have been impressed by this place, great friendly service and relaxing casual environment.

Pros: Reasonably Priced, All vegan, Lots of options

Cons: Parking can be difficult

Best in NZ! - Edit

Having been to every vegan eatery in the country, and most vegetarian ones too I can say with confidence that Sunflower stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Pros: Everything is vegan Cosy environment Friendly staf

Cons: Ruins other vegan/vegetarian restaurants

Simple restaurant but yummy vegan food - Edit

Love that place. Simple, but so much options. Loved the curry, the Samosas and very rich menu. Asian food but tasty and cheap.

Pros: Lots of options. Vegan and veg.

Cons: Simple restaurant. But also cheap

my favorite in the city centre - Edit

Introduced by friends and been back plenty of times. Great place to go before a show. Love having Thai food and knowing it won't have seafood in it (that might kill me). I find it weird to call stuff after meat, but always found something I like on TLD menu.

Meh - Edit

Think there's a bit too much fake meat for me, but if you like fake meat and Thai food this is the place for you!
I wasn't overly impressed by what I ate, but it tends to be open a bit later than other places in the centre and is, well, pretty central!
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 24, 2016

Pros: Inexpensive, Central

Cons: Too much fake meat for me

I love the choice here! - Edit

There's just so many delicious dishes here at Sunflower. Have always eaten here during University days and now work days. I love their dumplings and their noodle dishes. The decor makes the place quite homey and relaxing too.

Pros: Delicious food, Great variety, Good value for money

I'm obsessed! :D - Edit

If you haven't been to sunflower, go there asap!!!
Amazing "chicken" burger and peanut satay curry!! Oh their dumplings! Devine!!!! Full vege menu which is just so groundbreaking :)

Pros: Everything

Making ethical normal - Edit

A great asian-style, all plant-based and cheap option. I didn't believe it was vegan when I looked at the menu... I had to ask again and confirm. It's strange but great to be able to order from a menu that seems normal. I took a whole bunch of omnivore mates there and they loved it too. We all ordered things and shared. So nice to have that option! Love LOVE LOOOVVVEEE Sunflower. If you REALLY like spice go for the Lamb-like skewers. The duck-like dishes are great... actually everything is pretty awesome.

Pros: Cheap, Great to take everyone to, Food

Cons: Not 'up market', Sometimes don't have everything

A legend in the making - Edit

You might be walking down High Street when suddenly you see it - a sign for Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant hidden down the back of a ground floor corridor. That’s how I found it - randomly - and in those days the shy staff would play classical music and bring you peppery rich marinated tofu with fluffy rice and chewy noodles. The restaurant is still clean, and the menu is mostly unchanged, but the staff have livened up and the place feels a little bit warmer as the years have passed.

Sunflower are the first choice of take-away food in my house. It’s got good size servings of delicious, simple Asian food for decent prices, and that’s a winning combination.

Pros: Cheerful vegan chow, Novelty value

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunflower Thai Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.