Sunflower Cafe

Contact 615-457-2568

2834 Azalea Place (at Berry Hill area), Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 37204

Quick service vegetarian restaurant where you choose the dishes, and the server plates it for you. Meals are prepared from locally grown produce. Has gluten free, soy free, nut free, and dairy free selections. Est. 2012. Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Buffet

First Review by GoodFoodMan

Great spot - Edit

Thoroughly impressed with this restaurant. Food tasted terrific. It has a relaxing patio. And serving the food cafeteria style is a great thing for people who aren't familiar with the food and can look at it before ordering. This was a pleasant surprise while visiting Nashville.

Pros: Cafeteria style

Cons: Pad Thai was delicious, but served cold. Probabl

Really fresh and great! - Edit

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 11, 2013
After a few years of coming here, it is still maybe the best vegan place in town. My regular meal is the BBQ on flatbread, with a side of the sweet potatoes. Also, you HAVE TO get the cookie dough parfait. Yes, it is basically just a cup of raw vegan cookie dough, but it is SO GOOD. Perfection.
My husband pretty much always gets the crab cakes with a side of pad thai. Which is kind of a weird combo, but they are both so good!
This place is really close to my house and I'm so glad I found it through this site. My husband and i went for lunch and were blown away! He got the sampler plater where you can try a little bit of everything. His favorites were the raw kale salad, and some kind of slaw that had cabbage and pineapple in it, I can't remember the name. It was great. I had the red lentil and coconut milk soup with a broccoli salad. The food was very fresh and delicious and the people working there were so nice and answered all our questions. That day everything was vegan except for a mozzarella salad so you didn't have to guess if they had animal products in anything. We shared some chocolate crispy rice treat things for dessert that i loved. We we definitely be back. My only complaint is that their hours are so short!
Updated from previous review on Friday January 11, 2013
I'm so happy that Sunflower Cafe extended their hours! We love to go here after we hit up the Nashville Flea Market. My go to favorite is the mock chicken salad wrap and whatever soup they are serving that day, I have never had a bad one! My husband still gets the sampler plate every time. There are almost too many good choices!

Pros: fresh, vegan, delicious

Cons: a little pricey

Really cool, tasty restaurant - Edit

The "cafeteria" style idea is pretty cool. Never had anything that wasn't tasty. Isn't a place to go if you want some fancy gourmet, complex vegan food but more just some basic, tasty style of food

Pros: Great location, Good variety , Good value

Pleasant buffet-style cafe - Edit

Trying to decide what to order as we approached the counter was a bit confusing, with several different menus and boards, and no mention of whether various 'veggie' options were actually vegan. However, the people behind the counter were very helpful, and quick to show us what we could have. The food itself was reasonably priced and tasty. Be warned, however, that the barbeque tempeh is hot, at least for our British tastes!

Pros: no waiting for food, cheap, friendly

so good albeit confusing for this 1st timer - Edit

We walked in with a local friend who was there one time before. There were menus and a buffet like chipotle style bar with staff behind it and a menu board above their heads. We didn't know where to start until the lovely lady behind the bar started to guide us thru the options. Phew!

Super casual clean relaxed decor. Food was really yummy especially as all options were vegan.

We had a bowl of quinoa with tempeh bbq and smoked collard greens and slaw; a daily special baked quinoa bean casserole; a side of sweet potatoes; and a banh mi that was the best dish! We ended with a (too sweet for me) cookie dough pudding and a berries & cream that my two little girls devoured.

If we lived here this would definitely be a local favorite....as we would soon get the hang of it quickly.

The Journey:
traveling across America dining & reviewing exceptional vegan!
Instagram @tweeyoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour
TweeYoga.com

great for vegans - Edit

My omni friends took me here while I was visiting Nashville. The Thai ginger tofu was fantastic, as was the kale and quinoa. My friends loved the pad Thai. Everything is vegan, but you can add cow cheese if that's what you're into.

Wonderful place - Edit

I found this place on HappyCow, and when visiting Nashville recently, managed to eat there twice! Great food with no waiting. All fresh and delicious. Burgers were great!

Staff is super friendly, helpful, and quick with a kind word.

Very clean and attractive building. Nice outside porch seating available.

Appeared to be all vegan when I visited. I will be back!

good homey food - Edit

I tried this place for the first time today and really liked it. There were a lot more vegan options than I expected, all clearly marked (gluten free too, if that's your thing). It's a counter-service buffet with a small ordering menu. Reminds me a little of more flavorful cafeteria style food, nothing too unique or impressive, but just good solid healthy stuff. Pretty nice variety to choose from. There's a cute outdoor seating area as well. It was a little pricier than comparable options, but I believe they use mostly organic ingredients. Service was incredibly welcoming and friendly as well.

Just Awesome - Edit

Chose this place for dinner while staying in Nashville last night (mainly because of positive reviews on happy cow) and I have to say, I was pretty blown away. In my mind, this is what a restaurant should be: healthy, good tasting, whole food, vegetarian dishes, with plenty of options and good value for the money.

The restaurant is setup cafeteria style, and you choose your main course(s) and sides. The girl behind the counter explained to me that they have 4 different "chef specials" (main courses) every night, along with a host of sides (there must have been 12-15 options), and that most everything was vegan (good news for me). She also allowed me to sample a couple dishes as I was trying to decide. I wound up splitting my entree half and half between the curried tempeh and the sweet and sour tofu, both of which were absolutely delicious. For sides, I chose quinoa (they have whole grains you can use as a base for your main course), garlic kale, sweet potatoes, and three bean medley. To drink I ordered a kombucha brewed locally just outside of Nashville.

Not only was the whole meal colorful, nutrient rich, and filling, but everything tasted really, really good. I was quite full upon finishing, and chose one of their vegan baked goods to take to go.

Basically, this is a place to go if you are looking for great-tasting vegan/vegetarian food with whole food-based entrees and sides. There's not much, if anything, that's processed here; everything looks as though it's made from scratch, and signs near the entrance indicate that there is a heavy emphasis on using local produce and non-gmo foods. In short, this is healthy, plant-based eating at its best!

Pros: Healthy Whole Foods, Good Value, Excellent Food

Sunflower Cafe - Edit

This place is great. Imagine a school cafeteria that serves heathy and freshly made food. Everything is labeled. V is for vegan and GF for gluten free. There are a lot of choices, with new specials daily. I have eaten here a half dozen times and everything is good to outstanding. Portions size is good for the money. There is a kids menu and even my picky kids liked this place. They also have vegan and gluten free dessert options.

Pros: Many Options, Good food / value

Cons: Desserts are expensive

Full of Flavor!! - Edit

My family and I stumbled across this place tonight and boy-oh-boy and I glad we did!! The gentlemen behind the counter could not have been more friendly and willing to share their love of food! I had the best veggie burger I have ever had (i've been a vegetarian for 12 years and have eaten A LOT of veggie burgers)- it was made with zucchini, beets, sunflower seeds, and lots of other ingredients that added up to magic!We also had the homemade hummus and pita bread, kale salad, and sweet potatoes! Every thing was chock full of flavor and served in large portions. Thanks for sharing your passion for flavorful healthy food, local farmers, and community with us!!

Pros: service, local, flavor!!!

Just a wonderful experience - Edit

The place is a bit rustic and parking is in an area that is basically dumped stone. But who cares with food like this. I had the vegan shepherd's pie which amazed me there was no meat in it. This was many months before I finally became full vegan. The food was great, flavor was amazing, and the price is something to make you want to return again and again.

Pros: vegan food served cafeteria style, friendly servers, help with what was in each dish

Cons: small place with limited seating

Fresh & Yummy! - Edit

We are vegan & were on vacation in Nashville & decided to try this place out for lunch. The restaurant is clean, the staff helpful & friendly, and the food was YUMMY! We probably ate lunch & dinner here about 6 times...wish we had one in Tampa. The vegan cheesecake was WOW!

Pros: good selection, fresh food, clean restaurant

LOVE This Place. - Edit

They serve many different (mostly vegan) options. I enjoyed my first visit and I will come back. The food remind me of my mother's cooking. Healthy and fresh. I like that! I love their brownies. They're made by Vegan Vee Bakery. Delicious!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 12, 2013

Pros: Best brownies, Seitans are impressively tasty., Casual

Excellent, Although, Not Inexpensive. - Edit

The food was really great! It tasted fantastic and we didn't feel stuffed and sick when we were done, but just full and content. :) but we paid $30 for lunch for 2 people. Not exactly inexpensive.

Pros: Great Food, Flavorful, Healthy Soda Choices

Cons: Price

Yummy! - Edit

I had an excellent experience at the Sunflower Cafe in Berry Hill. It was very clean, beautiful atmosphere and I look forward to sitting on one of the two porches when the weather gets warmer.

My food was hot and delicious and fast! Considering that most people have a limited time for their lunch break makes The Sunflower Cafe a good choice for fast service. I can't wait to try more of the fresh dishes and I will definitely return!

Best Food in town, even for non-vegetarians - Edit

Sunflower was by far one of the best meals I ever had. Food was incredible, very fresh and healthy. The place has a great vibe, and staff was very friendly. You can tell they put lots of love into the food, and that the employees really cared about my experience there. The prices are reasonable and very affortable, and the variety of options and choices is a nice surprise. The desserts were fantastic (the chocolate pudding was great), and lots of cool and unique drink choices as well. I have been back several times and the experience has been better each time. They also have a great outdoor deck for when the weather is nice, and the location is easy to get to from anywhere in Nashville. I highly recommend you visit them soon.

Pros: price, quality of food, variety of food

Return to Nashville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunflower Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8705 times since Dec 2012.