Sundowners on the Bay

• Veg-friendly
Contact 305-451-4502

103900 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, Florida, USA, 33037

Serves meat, vegan options available. Predominately meat and fish restaurant with patio and view of water. Has a separate, small vegetarian menu that you must ask for; uses dairy.

Category: Lacto, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Sartis

Spectacular View and Vegetarian Menu! - Edit

You must ask for the vegetarian menu, which is pretty much the standard salads and pasta. They do have veggie kabobs, which are good. They have grilled avocado as well. I avoid oil, and the food is quite oily, but at least they're trying. I've ask for steamed kale and broccoli, and they've been accommodating. There's not many places to find vegetarian/vegan food in the upper Keys, and most of them are hole in the wall places. This restaurant has amazing views of the Gulf of Mexico. Beautiful sunsets! It's worth going just for the atmosphere. Like all waterfront restaurants, you'll pay a bit more to eat there.

Pros: Bautiful View, Separate Vegetarian Menu, Accommodating

Cons: Price, Limited selection

Very Accommodating! BEAUTIFUL View! - Edit

We made a reservation for sunset when we were staying in Key Largo, and wow! What a beautiful view!

They offered a separate menu for vegetarians, which was not at first glance very raw vegan friendly, which is what I am interested in, but they were extremely accommodating at making menu changes and prepared a very nice salad for me. My husband was very pleased with the menu selection he made, which was the vegetarian shish ka-bob.

What they lacked in selection they made up for in service and beautiful, beautiful view! This was a very romantic setting for an evening out.

Pros: gorgeous ocean view!, friendly and competent staff!, vegetarian menu with great food!

Cons: needs more vegan selections, needs more raw vegan

It may not look vegetarian-friendly but it is - Edit

We went to this restaurant when vacationing; we use Happy Cow to help us find restaurants whenever we are out of town. As we pull into the parking lot my partner asks again, "Are you sure this is the right place?" It looks just like any other seafood place but upon our request they gave us a vegetarian menu. There were a few vegan options ( I had the mushroom kebobs and they were delicious) and though, as mentioned in other reviews, they don't have any fake meat dishes, they had some very creative pasta dishes. This restaurant definitely offers more than salads but it's a seafood restaurant whose vegetarian clientele is probably minimal (isn't fishing the big thing in the upper keys?) and I wouldn't expect them to have tofu.

Pros: great view, excellent food, friendly staff

Wished there were tofu - Edit

We recently stopped at Sundowners and while it was nice to see that they had a separate vegetarian menu, we were disappointed that it was basically pasta, salad and vegetables. I wish they would offer a tempeh or tofu dish, possibly a stir fry. It would be so easy to prepare and the local grocery stores all stock it, even the new Gardein brand which we've seen used in restaurants.

Pros: great location, sunsets

Cons: no creative veg option

Great ! - Edit

Stopped in for dinner based on reviews here and we were not disappointed. It was right on the gulf and I'm sure the views during the daylight hours are incredible.The atmosphere was great. There is even an option to sit outside or inside. The wait staff were very friendly and when we asked for the veggi menu they perked right up and were happy to bring it out for us. I had the pasta primavera and it was fabulous....fresh ingredients cooked perfectly and they even put the grated parm cheese in a side dish for me without asking. I was impressed. The veggi menu was very detailed describing the dishes right down to the pasta used and ingredients. It was so refreshing to not have to ask 20 questions about the dish before ordering ! We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: none

The only Vegan in the Upper Keys! - Edit

Wow! Is it hard to find vegan in the upper Keys. Sundowners not only has a great view and great service, they have a vegetarian/menue. You have to ask for it as they don't pass it out automatically. The food is cooked completely seperately using a meat-free grill and pans. I've tried most dished, which are pastas or salads, and they are all good, however the grilled mushroom kebabs servied with a side of roasted rosemary potatoes are the best! They are also very accomodating to requests. I highly recommend Sundowners!

Pros: vegan, meat-free grills, several selections

Cons: meat served, no tofu or mock meats

Fun - Edit

We were happy to find Sundowners had a vegetarian menu which included a couple items that we could eat (vegan). The food was surprisingly good/fresh and the staff were kind and welcoming. We had an enjoyable trip to this restaurant.

Pros: Veg menu, On the water, Kind waitstaff

Cons: Fishing tournaments sometimes held here

Return to Key Largo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sundowners on the Bay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1950 times since Sep 2008.