SunCafe

• Friend
Contact 818-927-4100

10820 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, California, USA, 91604

Vegan and raw food restaurant offering a menu of fusion and comfort vegan cuisine. Features raw food dishes lettuce tacos and pizza to cooked vegan meals like white truffle fettucine and the Sun burger. Enjoy a selection of rich smoothies, cupcakes, and raw pies. Sunday brunch til 3pm. Originally est. 2009 as SunPower Natural Cafe and moved into this larger space in 2014. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm. Last orders 1 hour before close.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, Fusion

First Review by Hugo

amazing food. slow service. - Edit

The food is amazing. Everything we have had was good! BBQ cauliflower, nachos, tacos it was all so flavorful! The service was so friendly and warm on the occasions we went. However most recently our server went from having just 4 tables to mange at the beginning of our meal, to at least 6 on all sides of the restaurant (inside and outside) this is way too much to ask of someone. And because of it we were neglected in this shuffle we, among other things weren't able to get more water, our exiting service was unsatisfactory it took us more than 20 mins to ask for and pay for our check. We noticed the server had so many tables because we were watching him work the entire restaurant while we anxiously waited to be able to leave. Finally the hostess brought our check over, but it had an error, they fixed it but it was just another bump on the road. I hope if we decide to go back the service will be more balanced.

Pros: delicious food , good raw options

Cons: slow service

GREAT food - Edit

A restaurant, not a cafe as the name suggests.

We ordered quesidilla, a toasted sandwich and a milkshake. The shake was meant to be coffee, tasted more like chocolate but that's fine with me. Friends ate a burger and mac n cheese, looked really good. The restaurant also serves beer and wine.

Service was very attentive and friendly. Portions were bang on (although I got a box on account of the milkshake, which was 20oz).

There was a sharp intake of breath when the bill came ($140 for 4 people) which prevents this being 5 stars.

Pros: Quality food, very tasty, Excellent service

Cons: $$$$$ !!!!

great vegan food options and atmosphere - Edit

I've only been once, a friend that lives in North Hollywood took me and we had a very nice time. We sat in the lounge area outside because she brought her dog with her. I loved the food and the gluten free options, the service was good. I had Moroccan lentil stew and gluten free pizza :)
I would totally come back if I'm ever back in California.

Pros: great vegan food, gluten free options, nice atmosphere

Cons: Not too cheap

Awesome place... - Edit

I like to go on the weekends for their "vegan" omelet. It comes with finger potatoes or mixed greens, I recommend spending an extra dollar and getting their Caesar salad instead. If the omelette isn't covered with avocado make sure they check for ripe ones in the kitchen, usually it comes with avocado on top. Addendum: They now serve mashed potatoes and gravy as a side as well (with the vegan omelet). It's okay, but the gravy isn't as good as Real Food Daily's.

I haven't checked out their other recipes yet...but plan to. YUMMY!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-29

Pros: organic, great wait staff

Cons: Pricey, but worth it

RawDiculous - Edit

Wow this place is so pleasant. I am sitting on peaceful outdoor deck under a tree. Service always the best, food is creative and love all their raw options even though some are cooked. Before leaving a must is their yummy cupcakes. One of the best in LA for sure.

Pros: Organic, Amazing service, Great ambience

Cons: Can hear cars

Take out was fantastic - Edit

We ordered the food online so I cannot really write a review of the place itself. However I can tell you the food was amazing! We got the quinoa salad, the BLT burger and the Cookie Dough for dessert. I'm still amazed at what they can do with dessert! Delivery time as also not too long if you keep in mind that the driver had to come down to Hollywood on Cahuenga. We are definitely planning to go there in person the next time to check the vibe.

Pros: Delicious food, Fast delivery

Cons: A bit pricy

Fun to eat here, but a little bit style over substance - Edit

I liked the ambience here, and am especially glad I went for brunch, so I could enjoy the sunshine out in front of the restaurant. The place is a little hidden away in its own cove which made for a nice meal.

The food was good, but I expected more of it for how expensive the meal was. I wasn't full by the time I left. Next time I visit, I might do so with the family and order a variety of dishes to share.

Good pizza - Edit

I visited Sun Cafe for dinner. Food was delicious: A tasty curry with black rice and a daily special: fig and smoked tempeh pizza. I liked both and the crust of the pizza was very tasty. I enjoyed very much the food. What I didn't like was that my table was close to the bathroom. The bathroom was clogged and as people got in and out of the bathroom a funny smell went all over the restaurant. The managers should definitely avoid this type of situations from happening. I would love to give SunCafe the extra star next time that I visit.

stunning! amazing raw and cooked, my fav vegan cafe in LA! - Edit

Stunning food! Yes it's a little on the pricey side but a perfect place to take your date or have a lunch meeting with someone you care about. I adore the Shamrock milkshake which is creamy thick and rich and delicious have it as a dessert! Also the wrong nachos are to die for and definitely leave you feeling full.
The staff is always super friendly especially for LA standards in the homey comfortable feel makes it worth the price. I normally order a meal with coffee and some dessert and end up spending about $45 for myself, but I stay for three hours or more and relax getting free refills of water and just getting great service no matter what. I suggest that you come eat some good food and stay for a while there's also deals for the lunch menu and during the happy hour which I think you can spend under 20 and get a full meal. It's deathly not for the cheap but for flavor, atmosphere and relaxation for a vegan or vegetarian this place tops it all! You have to try it at least try some of the desserts and the drinks it's comparable to Café gratitude but much less busy and a little more laid-back in that has couches and outdoor seating: there's a cool atmosphere but never any hipsters which I absolutely adore and it's in a great little pocket off of North Hollywood 101 coming in from Hollywood so it's a great place to fine. Go here tell him Joy sent you!

Pricy - Edit

Dropped by on my way thru and grabbed a quesadilla and iced tea to go .. nice dog friendly patio with water bowls that my dog sincerely appreciated. Lady at to-go counter initially didn't seem happy to be there, but she cheered up somewhat and managed a smile or two. Seemed like I waited a realllllly long time for my order .. almost 25 mins .. considering it was 2:30p on Wed. and there were only a couple tables with people eating. So if you're in a hurry, be sure to call it in first. And bring extra quarters if you park at the meters.

The quesadilla was very tasty, but crazy spicy hot .. I was surprised it didn't come with some sort of warning, lol. I even pulled off the jalepenos at one point so I could get thru it, it seemed there was some very spicy red oil involved. I added avocados and got the rice tortilla which was very yummy. But even still, I walked out of there with a standard sized quesadilla a la carte, and a 16oz ice tea for $25. Ouch.

Pros: Tasty and vegan

Cons: Pricy and long wait

Excellent food in beautiful setting - Edit

My main complaint is it's so hard to get to from Santa Monica! Located in Studio City, there's a large selection of outside seating as well as on the inside, which feels like it could be your own personal dining room. So warm and cutely decorated! The food is fantastic - the type of place you'd take a friend who eats meat and always complains about vegetarian spots. The menu is a good mix between raw and cooked, giving everyone options. Why the four stars and not five? Service can be very slow, and at times, it feels they're not paying much attention. Friendly enough when they do come over though. The food is really standout and great portion sizes! We shared:

- Mint shamrock smoothie - One of the great things about this place is when you order a smoothie, you can choose to have them split it between two glasses for you and your dining partner. The serving is then about the size of a smallish water cup and more than enough - very satisfying! You feel you're drinking a fantastic mint milkshake, and yet this is made of mint, spinach, bananas, cacao, cashews and agave!

- BBQ cauliflower - This was awesome! Heavy on the BBQ sauce but not fried! For those who usually eat meat and love wings, you'd likely really enjoy this dish. For vegetarians, it's just a great dish packed with zesty flavor. The pickle was a nice contrast to the smokey-sweet BBQ.

- Shaved brussel sprouts with garlic sauce (special) - Great garlicky flavor without being overwhelming! Almost tasted like something you'd get at a Chinese restaurant without being so oily. Nice ratio of sauce to vegetable. My fiancé felt this was a bit too salad-feeling, but did note he prefers whole brussel sprouts, as opposed to shaved ones.

- Butternut squash pizza (special) - It was already a few weeks ago that we came here, and I'm struggling to remember all of the toppings on this pizza. Suffice it to say it was packed with toppings - including a healthy serving of butternut squash, which was nicely sauteed on top. BBQ flavors here as well, I guess we were feeling the BBQ when ordering that night! We had the cooked crust, not raw.

- Raw cookie dough cheesecake - We were pretty stuffed, but knowing it can sometimes be hard to make our way over here due to traffic, I couldn't pass up on their fantastic dessert! I don't know that I'd say this tastes like cookie dough, but it certainly has a great sweet and slightly chocolatey flavor. The crust is definitely homemade as well and a yummy graham cracker one.

Good All Vegan Reasonably Priced - Edit

I liked the atmosphere and the prices weren't over the top. I tried the Sunday Brunch with Sun Florentine, coffee and a mimosa. My mild disappointment was in the hollandaise sauce, which was brighter yellow than pictured, and therefore unsurprisingly tasted too strong of mustard. I don't know if it was an off day, or they need to try a different egg substitute or "creamy" ingredient. I will definitely go back but try a different main course. Food is otherwise good.

Such a score! - Edit

SunCafe was an all around great experience. Friendly staff, cozy atmosphere and delicious food. Haven't had as good high end vegan in a long time. Equal to NYC's Blossom or Candle 79. Prices were reasonable for such high quality. And kombucha on tap! A must do when in the area.

Pros: Organic, Ambience, Kombucha on tap

Return to Studio City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SunCafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.