SunCafe

• Friend
  • Vegan
Contact 818-927-4100

10820 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, California, USA, 91604

Vegan and raw food restaurant offering a menu of fusion and comfort vegan cuisine. Features raw food dishes lettuce tacos and pizza to cooked vegan meals like white truffle fettucine and the Sun burger. Enjoy a selection of rich smoothies, cupcakes, and raw pies. Sunday brunch til 3pm. Originally est. 2009 as SunPower Natural Cafe and moved into this larger space in 2014.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, Fusion

First Review by Hugo

stunning! amazing raw and cooked, my fav vegan cafe in LA! - Edit

Stunning food! Yes it's a little on the pricey side but a perfect place to take your date or have a lunch meeting with someone you care about. I adore the Shamrock milkshake which is creamy thick and rich and delicious have it as a dessert! Also the wrong nachos are to die for and definitely leave you feeling full.
The staff is always super friendly especially for LA standards in the homey comfortable feel makes it worth the price. I normally order a meal with coffee and some dessert and end up spending about $45 for myself, but I stay for three hours or more and relax getting free refills of water and just getting great service no matter what. I suggest that you come eat some good food and stay for a while there's also deals for the lunch menu and during the happy hour which I think you can spend under 20 and get a full meal. It's deathly not for the cheap but for flavor, atmosphere and relaxation for a vegan or vegetarian this place tops it all! You have to try it at least try some of the desserts and the drinks it's comparable to Café gratitude but much less busy and a little more laid-back in that has couches and outdoor seating: there's a cool atmosphere but never any hipsters which I absolutely adore and it's in a great little pocket off of North Hollywood 101 coming in from Hollywood so it's a great place to fine. Go here tell him Joy sent you!

Pricy - Edit

Dropped by on my way thru and grabbed a quesadilla and iced tea to go .. nice dog friendly patio with water bowls that my dog sincerely appreciated. Lady at to-go counter initially didn't seem happy to be there, but she cheered up somewhat and managed a smile or two. Seemed like I waited a realllllly long time for my order .. almost 25 mins .. considering it was 2:30p on Wed. and there were only a couple tables with people eating. So if you're in a hurry, be sure to call it in first. And bring extra quarters if you park at the meters.

The quesadilla was very tasty, but crazy spicy hot .. I was surprised it didn't come with some sort of warning, lol. I even pulled off the jalepenos at one point so I could get thru it, it seemed there was some very spicy red oil involved. I added avocados and got the rice tortilla which was very yummy. But even still, I walked out of there with a standard sized quesadilla a la carte, and a 16oz ice tea for $25. Ouch.

Pros: Tasty and vegan

Cons: Pricy and long wait

Excellent food in beautiful setting - Edit

My main complaint is it's so hard to get to from Santa Monica! Located in Studio City, there's a large selection of outside seating as well as on the inside, which feels like it could be your own personal dining room. So warm and cutely decorated! The food is fantastic - the type of place you'd take a friend who eats meat and always complains about vegetarian spots. The menu is a good mix between raw and cooked, giving everyone options. Why the four stars and not five? Service can be very slow, and at times, it feels they're not paying much attention. Friendly enough when they do come over though. The food is really standout and great portion sizes! We shared:

- Mint shamrock smoothie - One of the great things about this place is when you order a smoothie, you can choose to have them split it between two glasses for you and your dining partner. The serving is then about the size of a smallish water cup and more than enough - very satisfying! You feel you're drinking a fantastic mint milkshake, and yet this is made of mint, spinach, bananas, cacao, cashews and agave!

- BBQ cauliflower - This was awesome! Heavy on the BBQ sauce but not fried! For those who usually eat meat and love wings, you'd likely really enjoy this dish. For vegetarians, it's just a great dish packed with zesty flavor. The pickle was a nice contrast to the smokey-sweet BBQ.

- Shaved brussel sprouts with garlic sauce (special) - Great garlicky flavor without being overwhelming! Almost tasted like something you'd get at a Chinese restaurant without being so oily. Nice ratio of sauce to vegetable. My fiancé felt this was a bit too salad-feeling, but did note he prefers whole brussel sprouts, as opposed to shaved ones.

- Butternut squash pizza (special) - It was already a few weeks ago that we came here, and I'm struggling to remember all of the toppings on this pizza. Suffice it to say it was packed with toppings - including a healthy serving of butternut squash, which was nicely sauteed on top. BBQ flavors here as well, I guess we were feeling the BBQ when ordering that night! We had the cooked crust, not raw.

- Raw cookie dough cheesecake - We were pretty stuffed, but knowing it can sometimes be hard to make our way over here due to traffic, I couldn't pass up on their fantastic dessert! I don't know that I'd say this tastes like cookie dough, but it certainly has a great sweet and slightly chocolatey flavor. The crust is definitely homemade as well and a yummy graham cracker one.

Good All Vegan Reasonably Priced - Edit

I liked the atmosphere and the prices weren't over the top. I tried the Sunday Brunch with Sun Florentine, coffee and a mimosa. My mild disappointment was in the hollandaise sauce, which was brighter yellow than pictured, and therefore unsurprisingly tasted too strong of mustard. I don't know if it was an off day, or they need to try a different egg substitute or "creamy" ingredient. I will definitely go back but try a different main course. Food is otherwise good.

Such a score! - Edit

SunCafe was an all around great experience. Friendly staff, cozy atmosphere and delicious food. Haven't had as good high end vegan in a long time. Equal to NYC's Blossom or Candle 79. Prices were reasonable for such high quality. And kombucha on tap! A must do when in the area.

Pros: Organic, Ambience, Kombucha on tap

Excellent Family Dinner - Edit

Went out for dinner with a large group. We got the Mad Hatter table (middle of the restaurant, mixed chair choices). The sommelier helped us pick for the table and we had several lovely wines paired mostly with the weekly specials.

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere

Cons: Price

Very nice place w/ outdoor & indoor seating. - Edit

Went here on Saturday 6/13/15. Had the tacos which were a very nice surprise. 3 tacos of grilled zucchini slices, shredded purple cabbage, spot of tomato salsa & a squirt of mild sauce. Also had a small raw cinnamon "bun" in a rolled up slice with a cashew dipping sauce. Excellent--very rich.

Pros: Inside/outside seating; friendly staff., Creative menu; something for everybody., Valet parking if needed.

Cons: A little pricy, but it's Studio City.

Suncafe, our brunch - Edit

Our second time at Suncafe and we had a nice brunch here.

We started with the soup and salad combo, the raw mushroom soup was so good, we got 2 more regular size servings through out the day. The soup is a great value for $7.

We also had the sun bruschetta, raw sun nachos, the fiesta burger, and pesto with crackers. The soup was definitely the best dish we had today.
I posted a video on the food at Suncafe, watchi it here

Updated from previous review on Monday June 08, 2015

Pros: organic, completely vegan, delicious everyday food

Cons: attitude of the employes, were out of many raw componets, confusing menu

They overcharged my credit card $15.00 - Edit

Lunch for two, including wine and tip, was $75.86. My credit card was charged $90.86. I am disappointed.

I contacted the credit card and they gave me back my $15. I called the restaurant, the manager checked and got back to me. She apologized. She offered me a free entree if I come when she works and talk to her.

Updated from previous review on Friday November 28, 2014

The chances of me coming over months later, looking for a specific employee who works regular business hours is zero. There are better ways to compensate a wronged customer!

Cons: Over charged credit card

Mostly Raw vegan - Edit

At SunCafe in Studio City...BEST BEETS EVER! -- at SunCafe
I don't normally like beets, but theses were fresh and pickled just right so that they maintained their crispity crunchiness and didn't have that gooey aluminum aftertaste.

I'm noticing a theme of me being the happiest in my pictures if they're taken during dessert. Hmmmm. This is the raw Almond Butter Cheesecake at SunCafe in Studio City. It doesn't taste like or like cake,and Pastor didn't much care for it since he was expecting a creamy tart custardy type thing, but I loved it because it tasted like a Almond Macaroon on top of fluffy raw chocolate.

Veg out,

Veggie Army
www.VeggieArmy.com

Delicious Food and Great Atmosphere - Edit

I'm always blown away by the food! I've now taken most of my family and friends here, and everyone I've brought here has returned on their own. I was hesitant to try some of the raw entrees, but they've always been great! Amazing pizzas, portobello burgers, soups, salads, cheesecakes, shakes, and basically everything else!

Pros: Amazing food, Organic, Great ambiance

Sexy Vegan Dining - Edit

This place was conveniently located 1 block from my hotel during a trip to Universal Studios. What a great find! Thanks to Happy Cow. We sat outside on a beautiful evening accompanied by a great wine list, and great food and great company. We ordered a pesto pizza, French onion soup, fettuccini "Alfredo", and baked mac and cheese. The French onion soup was the first I've found that was plant based and it was amazing. The pizza was light and great to split as an appetizer and the pasta was so good!

Pros: Ambiance, Wine, Outdoor Garden Seating

great space cool staff - Edit

Sun Cafe is all vegan and organic. I'm a raw vegan and there a few options of every course available raw. The seating is great and outdoors they are dig friendly. The staff is super cool. You can bring a date or a biz lunch here.

Savory, Scrumptious, and Sexy - Edit

I have recently been trying my hand at eating a raw food diet and have been able to test out several LA restaurants that cater to this lifestyle. After being vegan for three years and having no real like finding a satisfying sandwich alternative I'm so pleased to say that Suncafe has THE BEST raw sandwich that has ever graced my mouth. I ordered the fiesta burger with their house made raw bun along side the almond butter cake for a treat and I was utterly impressed by the rich flavor that came through in every bite. It also helped that the outdoor patio seating is not only intimate but also stunning while being cozy. I hope to make this place a regular stomping ground for my friends and me! :D

Sweet Kale Shake takes it all - Edit

The Sweet Kale Shake is one of the best smoothies you will ever have. I'm never disappointed with the food at Sun Café, everything I've tried here has been amazing and the service is fantastic. I reallllyy wish the portions were bigger though. Raw Leaf Tacos are killer, sun burger is great, pad Thai, all their pizzas, Zucchini tacos, oh my!! Definitely a little pricey for their small portions.

Pros: delicious food, sweet kale shake

Cons: price, small portions

Tasty & Flavorful - Edit

Since they moved location, I figured it was time to update my review. The new place is lovely and spacious. It's in a converted house, so there's an outdoor patio as well as lots of indoor seating within the different rooms separated by French doors. The service is friendly as always. Sun Café is one of our favorite restaurants and it's wonderful to see them grow into this new space. Valet parking is available as well as street parking.

As for the food, there are some new items on the menu, but many of the old standards are there as well. We enjoy trying their specials too, especially at brunch, like the benedict and florentine. Over the years, we have tried almost all of the menu and it never disappoints. The food is so tasty and packed with flavor. Definitely a treat for the palate. The raw pizzas are the best I've had anywhere and the kale salad is amazing as is their homemade Sun chorizo which is on multiple different dishes. The raw cookie dough cheesecake is out of this world. On this most recent visit, we had the cast-iron skillet mac and cheese and the mushroom spinach quinoa risotto. Just delicious. And don't forgot to try their shakes! I really could just go on and on.

While I enjoy their raw and cooked dishes equally now, it was Sun Café that really opened my eyes to everything that raw could do. I recommend them to everyone. They also do a weekday happy hour if someone wants to try multiple smaller items. If you've never been, now is the time with their new location.

Pros: flavorful and tasty, lovely space, raw and cooked

Too expensive - Edit

I think raw is a trendy thing and people will spend more for that cache. As a 6 year vegan, I came to this place because I was interested in their vegan offerings. The food was good but so not worth the price. Place is cute, staff is nice but give me a break. Two vegan lunch entrees and one tea for $36? Ridiculous. Loads better nearby than this. Let the studio hipsters have this one.

Pros: atmosphere, waitstaff, flavors

Cons: price, parking

Rawfully Delish!! - Edit

This food raw-ked my taste buds!!

I had the Italian Sandwich, my friend the Zucchini Lasagna, and we shared a bowl of mushroom soup.

Hello??? How can they make just ordinary ingredients taste so extraordinary and make your mouth and tummy SO happy?? Pure genius I tell you!

To look at owner/chef Ron he doesn't physically show signs of possessing super human qualities like Superman or Spiderman or any other super-hero, but he does.

The place is small yet can accommodate many. It is clean, and nicely, yet simply decorated. In addition to inside seating, two tables adorn the sidewalk.

Parking is metered for maximum one hour at a time on the same side of the street; two hours at a time across the street.

If you have been thinking about going to this place, stop thinking and just do it! Your tummy and mouth will thank you!!

Their food is the reason they are one of the top vegan restaurants in the world and are in Happy Cow's first ever cookbook out in June 2014!

Pure genius, I tell you!

Pros: Extraordinary Flavor, Perfect Portions, Painstakingly Precious Presentation

Stick to the raw - Edit

I picked this place out for dinner solely because of their raw menu, so imagine my disappointment when the boyfriend wanted something cooked when I had set out to go all raw, especially when none of the cooked options looked particularly inviting. For the raw, we settled on the nachos with jicama and the mushroom soup and salad combo; for the cooked, we decided to try one of the specials - black-eyed peas and vegetable stew over quinoa with coconut cornbread. I'd like to get one more raw entrée but took advice from our waitress who thought it'd be enough food.

And it really was. The nachos came on a huge plate and, just like she said, the jicama kind of sat on our stomach and was quite filling. I liked it a lot - it was refreshing, much healthier and lighter than the traditional version, but I just wish there were more toppings. The soup and salad combo was very good too. The raw mushroom soup had an incredibly deep and robust flavor, which made me almost want to lick the bowl clean. The salad was a simple but nice and fresh-tasting kale salad. Now onto the minor downer - the cooked dish. Not that it was bad, but it was just so basic to the point where, I dare say, any home cook could easily whip it up. Totally not worth the $14 price tag. I thought it was a little flat as well. Maybe that's why it was served with hot sauce on the side. The cornbread was great, but sadly came as a tiny slice that was gone in about two bites. We also had the chocolate cookie dough cake for dessert. It was delicious, tasted as good as it looked.

All things considered, I'd say our evening was a more than passable experience. The food was healthy, wholesome, without any of that fake dairy/meat stuff. Service was prompt and very friendly. I genuinely believe that we'd have had a stellar meal if we had ordered all raw and avoided anything cooked. There's still so much on the menu I'd love to try. I'll definitely be back!

Pros: wholesome menu, good raw food

Cons: meh cooked options, stingy on certain things

Fantastic Vegan Restaurant - Edit

The food and service here are incredible! We had the Sun Nachos and the sliders, and both were fantastic. The server was very helpful too.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Waitstaff, Good Selection

Cons: Not Much Parking

Good - Edit

It takes a while to get your food once ordered, Everything is fresh and had lots of flavor. Great service, very friendly. Everything is vegan and they have raw options!! I love their caesar salad and raw tostada.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Fresh, great tasting food, raw options

Cons: Takes a while, Small portions, expensive

Amazing! - Edit

We just ate at SunCafe for the first time and we are already planning what to order when we return in a few days. It was absolutely awesome. The lentil soup and garlic bread were great starters. Quinoa risotto and supreme pizza were amazing entrees. We were too stuffed to eat our desserts, but ordered some to go. We have eaten in many of the country's best raw vegan restaurants, and this was right up there with the best of them. Maybe even number 1 on the list. Really fantastic food. And the service was second to none. Our waiter, Nevin, was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients in every dish. He made excellent recommendations and the food came out promptly and was presented beautifully. Nevin was attentive and friendly and a real pleasure.

We can't wait to return.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Reasonable Prices

The Best! - Edit

It's a vegan (mostly raw) restaurant on Cahuenga Blvd. right before you get to "the valley". I bring a ton of people here and every time it gets rave reviews not just from my veggie friends, but from my meatie friends too. It not only has some of the most creative vegan food out there, but by far the tastiest! When you are preparing raw food you have to be so careful about the flavor combos; it's very easy to let one ingredient over power the rest and Sun Cafe creates flavor profiles that are virtually effortless. Now I've had just about everything on the menu so let me share some of the stars:
The Lettuce Leaf Tacos
The Mediterranean Pizza
The Raw Nachos
The Kale Shake
The Chocolate Cheesecake (not only the best raw dessert I've ever had, but the best dessert period.)

Good Food - Edit

Has first read about SunCafe on HappyCow years ago when it first opened and was called SunPower until 2011 it was re-named. Here's my SunCafe review.

It's a little restaurant cafe with yellow signage that's easy to spot from the road. We found parking in a side street around the corner from the restaurant. The interior of the restaurant is small, and the vibe is mellow.

My husband and I tried a wide range of their food and enjoyed most everything. The Sunburger that we had was delicious. The patty was thick and hearty with great texture and flavor, and not overly salted like other raw food burgers out there.

The pizza was amazing. Very original crust made from nuts and seeds. Could be a complete great tasting cracker/bread by itself.

The lettuce tacos were simple yet so incredibly tasty. We especially enjoyed them.

For the sweets, we both liked the green smoothie (kale and stuff) but we did not like the berry cheezcake because it was kinda mushy and a bit too sweet for us.

I would definitely return to try the other menu items the next time I'm in this area.

Pros: good food, healthy, smoothies

Good Brunch... - Edit

We ate brunch here a few weeks back and were very impressed. The Tofu Omelette was the closest I've had to a real omelette since giving up eggs.

The portions are a little bit smaller than you'd expect, but are probably correctly sized for healthy eating. Unlike the traditionally oversized American portions we've been eating for years...

Ready to go back and try one of their shakes or smoothies...

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Nice ambiance

Cons: Parking is bad on weekends

Mmmm Mmmm Good! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were in town from Fort Lauderdale, FL were delicious raw vegan food is scarce. Sun Cafe was a breath of fresh air!
Excellent service, generous portions and many options!
Try the creamy mushroom soup and the spicy nori roll.

Pros: Affordable, Friendly Staff, Cozy

Just amazing - Edit

On a recent trip to LA for a few days, I got to try several places, all of which I enjoyed, but SunCafe was hands down the best food I had on the whole trip and might be one of the best meals I've eaten in the past few years. If you're visiting LA as a tourist, it's a little off the beaten track of Hollywood/Santa Monica/downtown, but totally worth the drive.

The place itself is unremarkable on the outside, but clean, uncluttered and cute on the inside. Got a friendly welcome and good explanation of the different type of dishes they serve. Glad I decided to choose all raw for a change - I'm sure the cooked dishes are equally as good, but the 3 things I ate were outstanding - as good as or better than any raw food I've ever eaten. I started with Kale Colossus - a salad which included amongst other things, SunChorizo (a nut mixture), marinated mushrooms and banana. Banana in a salad - who'd have thought?

Followed that with a raw corn Tostada, with jicaama slaw, avocado and sunflower seed 'frijoles' to which they added vegan nacho cheese. It was quite rich, but you could have drunk the cheese out of shot glasses - delicious! Finished up on the staff's recommendation getting the Mint Shamrock Shake - spinach based, but which tasted like Mint Chocolate Chip.

The entire staff was incredibly friendly - including the kitchen staff (you have to go through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms), but I enjoyed seeing behind the scenes. Can't recommend this place highly enough and can't wait to go back.

Pros: Great variety of raw & cooked dishes, Very friendly staff, Fresh ingredients

Cons: None, OK - a little out of the way, but worth the trip!

Raw Vegan Nacho Cheese & More - Edit

Buy an entire cup of this. It will become the best food you have ever tasted.

Love the Lettuce Tacos, Kale Colossus, Cacao Superfood Shake, and Raw Nachos. Like the raw pizzas and the Raw Kelp Noodles with pesto sauce too.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 21, 2011
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 21, 2011

Pros: Flavorful, Healthy , Friendly & comfortable

Cons: Not 100% raw vegan, Need more nut-free dishes, Closed Sundays (but everyone needs rest)

Hip Raw! - Edit

Little place hidden in the flashes of the busy street, but with amazing atmosphere. the inside looked cozy and worm, but we say outside because the weather was perfect. it's true that it took a bit longer for the server to attend, but we had all the time so it actually turned into nice relaxing lunch. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff! always a beautiful smile, friendly and casual, and she knew the menu back and forth. we wanted to have only raw so told us what are out options and made great suggestions!
the nachos with cheddar were amazing! fresh elegant with the right amount of spice, great texture and complexity of flavors!
the raw pesto pizza was out of this world! hands down the best raw dish i've ever had! from the crunchy and nutty crust to the earth and moist mushrooms! amazing!
i believe we had the raw cookie dough pie for dessert, we let the server surprise us, so i'm not 100% sure, but it was also great! how do you achieve this silky creamy texture!
big props to the whole stuff at SunCafe! we drove from Vegas to eat there and i have to tell you, i will be back hungry for more!

Pros: amazing food, great staff, atmosphere

Cons: none

Not Really Raw!! - Edit

Service is sketchy like the food. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's too rich, sometimes it's too sweet, they don't seem to get it quite right. And the prices are sky high. Granted it will be more cos it's supposed to be raw but you end up spending a whole lot more for a little lot less food that isn't even all raw. We left hungry and spent over $60.00 for lunch not including tax. Not something most people can afford or should pay for a decent lunch. And please can we stop pretending that nuts and seeds, agave, shredded coconut, etc are really raw? These days most of these items are not raw even if they say they are. It's too hard to find and too expensive for restaurants to use. Maybe that's why I see so many raw fooders gaining weight. Really deceiving.

Way better than Travolta's five dollar shake - Edit

Don't know anything about the rest of the food but remmember the five dollar milk shake that Travolta ordered in the movie Pulp Fiction because he was curious if it could really be worh the cost?
Well Sun Power has a seven dollar raw chocolate shake and it is worth it! I've driven out of my way twice just to get one and you can't put a price limit on something that good.

Raw Deliciousness - Edit

I just visited SunPower Cafe for the first time. I have eaten at several raw food spots and this one is one of the best! The service was good, and everything we ordered was delicious! I went with a meat eater and he was incredibly impressed with the food.

We got the nachos, the raw supreme pizza, the sweet kale shake, and the coconut butter pecan cheesecake. Everything was so tasty! The pizza is a must-have, and the desert was so rich and yummy!

Its a bit pricey, as most raw food is, but it is totally worth it! The atmosphere is pretty good despite being right on a busy street, and the service was great. I definitely recommend trying it!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Healthy

Cons: Pricey

Surprisingly good - Edit

Having had a very bad experience with Leaf, I was apprehensive about trying another raw joint, but SunPower came highly recommended and now I know why. I have eaten there twice now, and the food is excellent. The sandwiches are fantastic, as is the kale salad. I need to go back there so I then have an excuse to go to Kind Kreme for dessert! ;)

Pros: Delicious, Healthy

Very good - Edit

Recently I had lunch at Sunpower. I think if you are a rawfoodist or experienced in raw food, you will appreciate the menu. I had a burger and kale salad both were very good but a teeny bit bland. I wish they jazzed it up a bit. The staff was sensational. Next time I think I'll try the pizza.

Pros: staff, fresh ingredients

Cons: parking

amazing! - Edit

I just discovered them a week ago and I've already been back once for more!!!

The kale shake is surprisingly delicious. I've had the pumpkin soup, asian salad, and curry sandwich, and these have all been terrific.

One of my new favorites.

Pros: food is great, good place to take non-vegans

Cons: parking is tough

the best vegan restaurant in studio city! - Edit

i've only been to sunpower once, on opening day, and already they were serving up incredible food.

i ordered the seitan salad sandwich, which was basically like an old-fashioned tuna sandwich made with seitan instead of fish, and sunpower really nailed it. the seitan was top notch, the vegenaise was creamy, and the chopped vegetables were fresh and flavorful but not overwhelming.

the sandwich came with "choice of side dish" and i went with the pita and hummus, which i loved. other options included coleslaw, cookies, vegetables with dipping sauce, and kale.

for dessert, my friend and i split a slice of the special of the day "cacao cheesecake". the thing was so rich and dense, it was hard to eat with a plastic fork! this cheesecake probably could be a meal on its own, it was so decadent. even though it was a little hard to eat, it was delicious and well worth it. definitely don't leave without trying dessert.

sunpower is officially a 'take out' restaurant...so while they have tables, your food is served in to-go containers and you pay at the counter. the service is great and the meals come out super fast. this is an excellent choice if you are in a hurry. also, the staff and ownership are pretty passionate about veganism.

Pros: great food, all vegan, friendly staff

Cons: expensive, take-out, street parking

"Raw Fusion", totally delicious, all Vegan, WOW! - Edit

The best way I can describe this restaurant's food is:
Raw Fusion.

Here's why:

If you are a devoted raw foodie, this place will humble your previous thoughts about just how good raw food can be.

If you are like me, you usually only eat raw when dining out with raw friends.

Sunpower Natural has the best of both worlds, with mostly raw healthy items (that don't always taste raw) and things like fluffy wheat buns for my burger because raw bread/crackers for sandwiches aren't my thing.
(Of course they have all raw pizzas/sandwiches/salads with the homemade raw bread/crackers for those of you that love it.)

I had a torta sandwich with a really nice patty that was gently spiced and had a nice firm texture. (Not a mushy, wet, patty that smooshes out the bun with your first bite...) It had pico de gallo, avocado, and a lot more I don't remember, but it was GOOD.

I also had some raw coleslaw that was so much better than a veganaise covered version. It had thicker than normal chunks of cabbage, and a nice ranch/mayo type raw dressing that really went well with the cabbage.

Finally something I thought I'd never like... I loved! A raw cashew shake/smoothie with raw kale in it. It looked like the color of pistachio ice cream, and tasted just as good!!! More like a dessert... try it!

It's a small place with just a few tables, but the staff and food totally make up for any negatives there.

Parking can be hard, but loop around and you'll probably get a metered spot.

Totally worth a try, even for those who aren't into raw food. Try it and you'll see.

Pros: Amazing homemade foods, Reasonable prices, Unique and Healthy

Cons: Parking, Only 8 tables

Great new Organic/Vegan/RAW dinning experience! - Edit

I first had the 'Raw Supreme Pizza'. It was really delicious. It is four Raw diminuative pizza slices. But it being a Raw dish, easily satiated my appetite. To drink, I had the 'Cacao SuperfoodShake' which was also delish! The Shake was thick, creamy, chocolaty, nutty, Raw, and yummy! A meal in a cup! My second entree was the 'SunPower Burger'. The burger was also very delicious and Raw! It had an amazing cashew-based 'special sauce' which tasted like the best mayonnaise. I also had the Fresh organic lemonade with agave which was very refreshing! The dinning room is on the small side containing three or four tables if I remember correctly. There is a wide and cozy bench that runs the length of the dinning room adorned with plush pillows. The decor is nice, warm, and simple. The location of SunPwer Cafe is literaly right off of the Universal City/Cahuenga Blvd exit on the 101 freeway. By the way, most of the menu is Raw, which is a boon! Will definetly return to try their other dishes! Nice job Rawsheed!

Pros: WOW Raw burgers!, Superb Raw Pizza!, Convenience (right off the freeway exit)

Cons: All dishes served in to-go containers, Dinning rm. a bit small, Metered street parking

Return to Studio City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SunCafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9511 times since May 2009.