Sun Sweet Restaurant

• ( 3 reviews )

Vegetarian Indian restaurant serving delicious Indian lunch dishes, sweets and savories, some of which are vegan and others that could possibly be made vegan upon request. Located in the CBD of Nairobi. Very welcoming owner. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm, Sat 9:00am-2:00pm, Sun 8:30am-1:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by Mahinda

LorenTrabelsi

Points +16

02 Dec 2021

Great place!

The owners are the nicest people I have ever met!

Pros: I ate the samosa and it was very good. , Most of the menu is vegan.

JonathanP

Points +161

27 Oct 2018

Delicious food belies modest surroundings

It feels like going back in time. A family-run place that aims to feed you, and feed you well, with none of the razzmatazz of much of modern Nairobi. The cooking has the time-honoured, quiet assurance of a place that really knows what it's doing. I had the Gujerati thali - a plate of varied bhajia with pickles to start, then three curries with chapatis and rice. The curries were sublime - especially, er, the yellow one (excuse my ignorance), which added a subtle, lemony overtone to the more earthy heft of the dhal. The only flaw was that there was too much food to finish, but that didn't stop them offering me top-ups!

Pros: Beautifully flavoured, authentic thali, Quiet, family-run place

Cons: Perhaps not the smartest location in town.

Mahinda

Points +941

30 Jan 2018

Great Gujarati Veg food, Very Hospitable Owner

I had lunch here on January 27, having found this restaurant thru word of mouth from a Gujarati merchant. And the food is great - Gujarati food with the local African taste twist! Thepla-Shak and Mixed Bhajiya Platter was excellent and so was Masala Tea. I had food to go as well for my long bus ride to Mombasa. Owner Dipakbhai Nathwani and I turned out to have many common places from childhood so it was kind of a reunion. He helped negotiate a taxi to Karen Blixen Museum as well as called ISKCON in Mombasa to arrange my stay there - thanks for the great hospitality!

Many items can be made vegan so inquire. Many items can also be made so that they are preserved on the long safari trips.

Pros: Vegetarian, Indian, Gujarati

Return to Nairobi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sun Sweet Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.