Sun in Bloom

Contact 718-622-4303

460 Bergen St (at Park Slope), Brooklyn, New York, USA, 11217

Offers organic, gluten-free, vegan food. Has raw food, raw desserts, baked goods, nut milks, and organic fresh pressed Norwalk juices. Weekend brunch. Quiet setting. Mon-Fri 8:30am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Macrobiotic, Organic, Raw, Delivery, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Noa G

Great Restaurant - Edit

The neighborhood and the location of this Restaurant is very cool. They offer many raw and gluten-free options in their menu. The Service ist super fast and the dishes taste very yummy. They also have a fridge with homemade juices, raw desserts and to-go options.

Pricey and average. - Edit

We met with friends here and the overall experience was average. The chocolate 'mylk' and hot chocolate were awesome, the asparagus soup not so, the Kim chi seemed a little safe (I prefer heat). The options were very good, but none of us were excited about our food, and we all love food. The whole experience just lacked something and the music was just weird, it was not appropriate for dining, unless in a fast turnover take-away or similar.

Pros: Lovely chocolate drinks!, A nice venue., Convenient if you wanna go to Babeland!

Cons: It seemed to cost more than other places., Unremarkable food., Incongruous music!

hmm lowest rating is 2 stars? - Edit

So the lowest rating I can give this place is 2 stars. The service was great, kind people, good atmosphere. But the food was disgusting. I was very disappointed. I ordered the blt wrap which cane with home fries. They tasted like a cold potato salad... Not a great consistency. And the wrap had 90% lettuce and then a drop of mushrooms as the fake bacon and nothing else. And the worst part is that the blt was the only thing that seemed even close to appetizing on the menu. Sad to say but will not be going back.

Sunny Sun In Bloom Sunday Brunch - Edit

Excellent food & menu choices for a late summer Sunday brunch with my omnivore son & his friend. My Miso-ginger scramble with steamed Brussels sprouts was filling & tasty; chickpea miso garlic glazed tofu chunks, with carmelized onions, black beans, quinoa & perfectly steamed Brussels sprouts with cream sauce. Waitress forgot the salsa until asked. Gluten-free Rosemary garlic biscuit, tast, yet a bit dry, as some gluten free baked goods can be. My son enjoyed his Brunch tart plate of butternut squash, with shiitake bacon, carmelized onion & glazed tofu. Waitress had to be reminded it came with home fries; portions small for the price point. Other guest enjoyed the pancakes with fresh fruit, walnuts & maple syrup. Fresh squeezed OJ - tasty, yet small. Ordered takeout for later - collard green wrapped BLT, with home fries on side; tasty, filling even hours later.
Would eat there again when visiting Brooklyn. Convenient location, near Barclay Center. On street parking.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Delicious food, Knowledgeable waitstaff

Cons: Very small, Waitstaff overwhelmed when it got busy

Amazing Food!!! - Edit

This place is perfect: cozy cafe decor, friendly and accommodating service, and amazing food!!! I had the breakfast scramble which was sautéed in some sort of miso marinade - a delectable, healthy plate. Then I tried their signature dish - awesome kale salad with butternut squash, spiced pumpkin seeds, avocado and another amazing sauce. Finally I had the delicious pancakes. I can't find a bad meal in this place. Brazil nut latte was exceptional, as was the chocolate torte for dessert. Unfortunately, I don't live in Brooklyn anymore, but this has definitely become my favorite restaurant when I come to town. Heaven!!!

Here Now and Happy - Edit

Im sitting here right now, alone for breakfast, and it's wonderful. I got gluten free pancakes and they're really delicious. The soundtrack is perfect and the waitress has beautiful smiling eyes. Glad I came.

Good food at steep prices - Edit

This store is a decent size for NY standards, and it greets you with friendly staff and warm decor. The menu is expansive and will suit all your vegan dining restrictions and preferences. The juices line the fridge beautifully. The raw desserts tempt you as you choose juice, chia pudding, granola, salads or wraps.

The food is delicious and healthful. Avocado can be added to almost any savory dish to increase the healthful fats and vitamins- $2. The sandwiches are fabulously ordered with wheat wrappers or bread, collard green wrapping or as a salad. I love those options! Every one sounds delicious, but I wanted the BLT. It was slightly too salty for me, but then the potatoes that came with it were less salted- maybe that was on purpose?

My favorite items t order though are desserts- they are gluten free for the most part and kind of pricey, but convenience has its cost! Muffins and cupcakes, raw tarts and cookies. Pretty tasty stuff - as vegan and gf go, this stuff ranks in the upper echelon for baked goods.

The wc is kind if small, so be aware!

The food is amazing, I just wonder if I like that there is essentially portion control.... And you need $$$ or a small appetite to be satiated. I love the food though!!

Pros: Gluten free so easy!, Raw is plentiful, Vegan baked aww yeah

Cons: Price, Portions

Sun In Bloom blossoms. - Edit

The first time I stepped in to the original Sun In Bloom location in Brooklyn, my jaw dropped. This place has the perfect balance of vegan, raw, and gluten-free food. If you're looking for Kosher, look no further, as Sun In Bloom is entirely Kosher certified. They also have fresh cold-pressed juices, smoothies, Fair-Trade coffee, and everything from dressings to desserts are made from scratch in-house! The new location offers quick grab-n-go style, all organic, wraps, sandwiches, hot soups, and macro bowls, and brings warmth to the corner of Church and Reade in Tribeca with it's radiant staff, keeping in harmony with Sun In Bloom's loving vibes.

Pros: good vibes, EVERYTHING'S delicious, beautiful design

Don't forget your wallet - Edit

Let me start by saying that the food my wife and I had was very good. We ordered a couple of macro dishes and the food was fresh and tasty, but, when you are talking about brown rice, steamed greens, sauerkraut, black beans, etc, how can you screw that up? My issue is that I felt like it was way overpriced for what we got. A small scoop of brown rice, a small portion of steamed greens, a tablespoon of sauerkraut, and a scoop of black beans was $15 or $16. My wife and I then split a piece of cheesecake (very good) and the bill came to over $50 for lunch and we both left hungry. The service was friendly, the food was good, the portions were stingy, and the price was high.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Good selection

Cons: Small portions, High price

So Good - Edit

I went there with my boyfriend today for a couple's brunch since he's gluten free and I swear this place can make you want to eat like this all the time. The food was amazing although a little pricey. I'd definitely go back. Still thinking about that gluten-free brunch tart.

Pros: food, atmosphere

Cons: prices

Good fresh food - Edit

We enjoyed our dinner at Sun in Bloom, especially due to their gluten free options. The down side was that there was very little air circulation and as soon as we walked in it was very hot (outside was about 70 degrees and felt a lot cooler than inside the restaurant) - they turned the ceiling fan on for us but it offered very little relief.
We enjoyed our meals and hope to go back for their weekend brunch.

If you want a healthy meal, this is your place. - Edit

Good music, relaxing, and fresh, delicious food. Try the reuben (with homemade sauerkraut!) or macrobowl (steamed greens, wakame, beans... yummy seasame ginger dressing). And if you leave without dessert, you're missing out. Raw peppermint, chocolate, espresso torte is absolutely lovely! Definitely recommend Sun In Bloom!

LOVE this place!!!! My first time at Sun In Bloom in Brooklyn and I loved it!!!!!! I had delicious juice (my first time really trying juice) and the best gluten-free pancakes that I have ever had. I will definitely be returning. And I love the ladies running this place... they were so helpful and kind...loved them.

I'm just a vegaterian but this place is a must try for anyone that is vegaterian, vegan, gluten-free or raw. The atmosphere is relaxing and I love supporting such an independent, organic restaurant. Loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

cute little cafe - Edit

i have been to sun in bloom just a couple of times. they have things such as cake, cookies, muffins, and i think a few sandwiches. i have only had the cookies and muffins. cookies were ok and muffins were very good.

This restaurant led me to Happy Cow and Eating Veg - Edit

Hi all, I'm relatively new to vegan/raw food and it is thanks to this place that I am completely hooked. Aimee and her staff make their food and their space warm and welcoming.

Now that they've been open for a few months, there have been some terrific additions to the menu. I have a few favorite dishes that I'll share with you: the Bella Divine, which is mesclun and avocado mixed with dulse and raw sauerkraut with a live dressing, is something my body now craves daily. Go and order it with a side of their live sesame-ginger kale chips (yum).

My kids (7 and 5) are hooked on the "all-day inspired breakfast" granola with coconut kefir, fresh fruit, goji berries and cacao. And thanks to one of the staff patiently sharing the benefits of wheatgrass with my daughter, she now drinks it whenever we're in there. (She's 7.)

The food is amazing, but what I actually like best about Sun in Bloom is the atmosphere--the whole staff makes a thoughtful effort to learn names, everyone is smiling, it's clear they care a great deal about both the quality of the food and the quality of the experience. There are neat little events that keep popping up, like Tarot Tuesdays in the evening. This is definitely the kind of place where customers can find a new friend sitting at the table--which is just lovely.

Cool newest addition: benches outside; perfect for people-watching on Bergen Street!

Pros: spectacular food, made fresh, very friendly staff, terrific vibe

Cons: selection of food is growing

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sun in Bloom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6887 times since Jun 2008.