Sun Dog Diner

• ( 13 reviews )

2-10 Papanui Rd, Merivale, Christchurch, New Zealand, 8014

Serves meat, vegan options available. American style diner with marked vegan options including sandwich, burrito and a cooked hash brown breakfast. Some options could be veganised, please ask. Selection of vegan drinks with free refill coffee. Open Tue-Thu 8:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 8:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Catering, Breakfast, Non-veg

First Review by Samslate

nicole_m

Points +1255

30 Oct 2021

Great brunch

I’ve visited a couple of times and always enjoyed the food. I had the rookie melt on my latest visit - amazing! Vegan grilled cheese with kumara and capsicum, and 8-bit fries - so good! My partner had the renegades of hash. I’d this dish before and enjoyed it, but his didn’t come with tortillas this time which was a big disappointing. The bottomless sweet tea was great.

Pros: Yummy vegan options, Decent price, Option to have half-sized meals

Cons: No tortillas anymore with renegades of hash, Not a lot of vegan options

jedafin

Points +132

21 May 2021

Delicious vegan options

Just delicious vegan options and good vibes, will be back!

RebbecaHowlett

Points +22

24 Aug 2020

Yummy vegan options!

Visited here with my omni family and the vegan options were really tasty! Would definitely visit here again!

Veggie_Bird

Points +83

07 Jan 2020

Quite a few options

We go quite often. Good value and good food. And love the decor!

Pros: Vegan Chilli, Vegan Breakfast , vegan cheese toastie!

Cons: No vegan desserts

flynnmiller

Points +414

31 Oct 2019

Ok food. Small portions

They have a seperate deep fryer for vegans which is nice. Many of the options are either vegan or adaptable to be vegan.

Pros: Tasty, Many options

Cons: Staff can be slightly rude, Overpriced for small portions

Sophieavocado

Points +134

21 May 2019

Unfortunately bland and very little choice

Lovely wee diner but very few vegan options. Myself and partner both got the vegan burrito which wasn't very good, a mixture of rice and random vegetables in a wrap. It could have been good but was very bland and we wouldn't go back for the vegan options unless some new /better ones were added to the menu. Many better choices available in Christchurch for the money.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Expensive for what it was , Bland and boring vegan option

Martin-the-Traveller

Points +71

10 Jan 2019

Good food and friendly staff

We enjoyed the food which was very tasty. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Would go there again.

narcolept

Points +18

12 Oct 2018

Super good and friendly!

I wish I could give it five stars as it saved me when I have to eat out with my “meat lover” friends. Staff very friendly, happy to introduce all the vegan options. Tried the vegan sandwich, super tasty

maddywa

Points +190

23 Sep 2018

Excellent food

Lovely dining experience- staff were very helpful and vegan options are clearly labelled on menu. We tried the taco bowl and the chilli. Both very yummy. The fries were awesome too. Pricing was fair. Happy hour was a nice touch (4-6pm). My only gripe is the large television they have which I can’t stand in a restaurant! I know it adds to the diner theme (they were playing retro films) but it’s so distracting when it is looming over you! No deserts/milkshakes were vegan to my knowledge.

Pros: Enough vegan options, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Large tv in main area

SophieNZ

Points +246

26 Mar 2018

good value lunch option

I had the special which was a half sandwich and a serving of fries. The sandwich was very nice, stuffed full with tofu, black beans, pumpkin and vegetables. The fries were also excellent and they happily swapped out the aioli for homemade ketchup. The bottomless ice tea was good value on a hot day. Was very busy so there was a wee wait on the food which we were warned about in advance. Would visit again.

Pros: big portion, bottomless iced tea, outside seating/buzzing atmosphere

Cons: very busy when we went, only 2-4 vegan options

RampantConey

Points +51

03 Feb 2018

Filling, fresh & funky

This groovy little diner has well-indicated vegan options and generous portion sizes. The man serving made us feel welcome and the meals came out quicker than I expected, given the menu said everything is made from scratch. We ordered the vegan sandwich and the vegan hash; both were outstanding. Would definitely go back.

courtneyjf22

Points +16

16 Dec 2017

amazing little diner

I have been here a few times and have always received great service. Having three fully vegan items on the menu as well as a couple that can be veganised is an amazing effort considering many places have nothing at all. The vegan sandwich is tasty and their chips are the best ever! Only downside is that it is very small inside but overall very good!

Pros: vegan options , friendly staff

Cons: no dessert:( but the crêpe place is next door

Samslate

Points +22

Vegetarian
28 Jul 2017

A lot of meat and little Vegetarian

Went with some friends here today, il be honest , there is not a lot on the menu that i could eat as a Vegan, i ended up having an orange juice and a bread roll with black beans coleslaw and tofu in it for $24 left me feeling a little underwhelmed. The options are very thin pickings i thought with only, burritos , nachos or bread roll. It was so loud and noisy in there also, the music was too loud and there were only a handful of people in there

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: very limited in options, very loud, very expensive

sundogdiner

06 Aug 2017

Sorry you didn't enjoy your visit Samslate. It sounds like you got the Vegan-na Party, which would've had our house made black beans, roasted kumara, pomegranate molasses glazed roasted beetroot, organic tofu marinated in our house made enchilada sauce, crispy onion straws and slaw salad with the lime-coriander vinaigrette dressing on our fresh baked Stove-Top Stuffing bread, served with hand cut fries and house-made Bloody Mary ketchup. At $18 plus an orange juice this would've set you back $22, as everything on our menu is $20 or under. We do have other vegan options on the menu that you might prefer like the Priscilla Burrito, the Renegades of Hash or our daily Chili. We have a total of 4 vegan options and 10 vegetarian options available, which is over 1/3 of the menu. Hopefully we'll be able to offer more vegan and vegetarian options in the future. Again, very sorry that you were disappointed and we hope that you will give us another try.

Return to Christchurch Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sun Dog Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1913 times.