Sun Deli

Contact 303-938-1128

2299 Pearl St Ste B, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 80302

Serves meat, vegan options available. The owner is a vegan, and kitchen keeps on hand vegan salad dressings, vegan pepperoni and sausage as well as tempeh, vegan chicken, vegan eggplant parmesam, soy cheese and Daiya cheese.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CherylLynne

Amazing place for Vegans! - Edit

Sun deli is a must-try for the Boulder Vegans. I'd say that about half their menu is vegan. The nice thing is that if you have carnivorous friends or relatives, they will also have their fill here. Amazing pizza rolls and great homemade vegan ricotta. They only downside is that they are slow as shit, so make sure you don't have any plans, because you will be waiting at least 30-45 minutes for your food (and longer for delivery). Also make sure that you bring along someone interesting to talk to, because all they have for entertainment is weird snowboarding videos. Otherwise, I absolutely love this place!

Very nice little Deli / Pizza Shop - Edit

Had our first Pizza from here after epic fails at trying to order Vegan pizza's from some of the other places around town. The Pizza was Wonderful The crust is great and the Vegan toppings are top notch. Very Very Pleased, We are ordering another one now.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Vegan Friendly, Vegan Friendly

Cons: Serves Meat, Serves Meat, Serves Meat

Fabulous Vegan Options, including Vegan Calzones - Edit

While visiting Boulder my husband and I stopped into Sun Deli for lunch and were not disappointed. There are loads of vegan options. The special was a steak sub and a drink for 7.99, which we had every intention of getting (nearly the whole list of steak subs could be made vegan), but we decided we couldn't pass up vegan calzones. It was a good decision. They come with both Daiya Mozzarella, almond ricotta, and sauce, I added house-made seitan-roni and mushrooms. It was so much food and absolutely delicious. We also split vegan breadsticks w/Daiya. With 2 calzones and the bread sticks, we had plenty leftover for a later meal. In addition to vegan pizza, subs, calzones, and cheese garlic bread, they offer hemp ice cream, cocomel caramels, bags of nutritional yeast/spiced popcorn, etc. This place had some of the best vegan options at a non-vegan establishment that I have seen. It will be a must-visit the next time I come to Boulder.

Pros: Vegan Calzones, Vegan Pizza by the Slice, Many vegan faux meats/cheeses

Cons: Sticky tables

Love it! - Edit

Go there on Saturday before 5 PM for Vegan Saturday and get $ off your vegan pizza. The food is great and pretty reasonably priced. A good variety of vegan food to choose from. Open 7 days a week and pretty late. They are connected to a liquor store and they deliver pretty much anything they sell (which strangely includes firewood). Good stuff!

Love It - Edit

Read the other reviews b/c I'm lazy. But its VERY vegi/vegan friendly AND really good. My bf eats meat and still loves the seitan cheese-stake as much as I do, and the pizza is awesome

Plus every salad dressing on the menu is homemade and vegan. First Caesar salad I've eaten in 9 years, mmmm

Pros: Awesome food, Comfy atmosphere, VERY knowledgable staff

Cons: Sometimes slow service

one of the most vegan friendly places in town - Edit

I can't believe I went all this time having no idea there was a place with vegan pizza in Boulder. And not some weird-ass artsy vegan pizza, just something resembling good old-fashioned east coast style pizza but with Daiya and seitan pepperoni. The stromboli and buffalo chicken roll were great too (I think Gardein chicken breast tastes a bit weird on its own, but it's good with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch) At least half the menu can be made vegan (all of these items are clearly marked) and tastes good enough that it would probably fool a lot of people if you never told them it wasn't 'real' meat and cheese. They also have a 'Vegan Saturday' special where everything vegan is $2 off before 5pm, or $4 for large vegan pizzas. The only drawback of this place is I'll probably eat here all the time and be a fatass.

Pros: great vegan pizza/calzones/etc, friendly staff, delivery

Cons: a tiny bit pricy, probably fairly fattening, addictive

Very vegan friendly pizza and more - Edit

If you miss having a casual pizza place or delivery pizza, this is the place for you! Last time I checked, they had 3 vegan cheeses to choose from - Follow Your Heart soy cheese, Daiya, and their own homemade vegan ricotta - though I think they were considering dropping the Follow Your Heart because most people seem to prefer Daiya.

I always get one of their calzones with lots of veggies and the homemade vegan seitan pepperoni. Delish! It's great for lunch or take-out, though the other reviewers are correct that sometimes the food can take a good while to prepare, especially if you're getting something that needs to be baked like pizza or a calzone. The sandwiches (also delicious) are quicker.

The owners and workers are very vegan friendly and knowledgeable...you don't have to worry about stray animal products here!

One of the owners also has a dog that hangs around on the premises, and they're very dog-friendly. The outdoor patio seating is also a plus if you have rambunctious kids with you.

One note of caution - the bathroom is decorated with a mosaic of broken mirror shards that could conceivably cut a person, so it's probably not the best for solo young kids, drunk people stumbling around, or suicidal people.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Dog-friendly!, Convenience store snack options

Cons: Workers are sometimes baked, Can take a while to get food, A little grimy

This Was AMAZING! - Edit

I ate here for the first time on 4/10/10 and I was so impressed! There are so many vegan options on the menu and Sun Deli utilizes Diaya vegan cheese. I ordered the Buffalo Chicken Roll which is kind of like a calzone but rolled instead of folded. When it was delivered the presentation was stunning and I was immediately happy with my choice. My dish was extremely flavorful with a nice kick from the buffalo sauce and came with a side of homemade pasta sauce and vegan ranch dressing. The portion size was huge and I received a discount because we went on "Vegan Saturday". I have nothing bad to say about this place... it's even attached to its own liquor store and delivers food and booze to folks in Boulder. We're driving up from Denver again soon because we loved this place so much!

Pros: Cheap for Large Portions, Amazing Food, Very Friendly Staff

Cons: NONE!

Awesome pizza and calzones - Edit

The vegan pizza and calzones are really terrific at Sun Deli. I love the fact that they are so supportive of folks wanting something a little different (i.e., vegan). That support goes so far as their making their own delicious veg pepperoni and a really unique and tasty almond-based ricotta-ish cheeze. Highly recommended.

Pros: great pizza/calzones, funky atmosphere, pro-veg staff/chef

Cons: a little pricey, food can take a long time to prep

Increasingly vegan-friendly - Edit

Okay, so the pizza here is terrific, for a couple of reasons. First of all, they've figured out Follow Your Heart. Perhaps you've had the experience at home where you make your own pizza and, in cooking it, find that the cheese hasn't melted by the time the crust begins to burn? (This happens to me all the time..) Well, Sun Deli gets it right. The crust is good enough to eat by itself, and the cheese is perfect, every time.

That's to say nothing of the great stuff you can get *on* the damn things. Two noteworthy examples: they have a mouth-watering "white" pizza, and a home-made vegan pepperoni. And if pizza sounds like a little too much, try the "veggie roll" or a calzone.

Past the food, they have a very cool environment where you can enjoy it. It's not by any means a high-end joint, but neither is it trashy or unwelcoming. Instead, high-backed boothes and personal TVs (which may be turned up or off, as you like it) provide a unique sense of privacy.

Add to this an owner and a chef who are happy to chat about vegan issues or their plans for the next vegan item to go on their menu, a healthy respect for the local vegan community and reasonable prices (especially on Saturday!), and you've got the makings of a great place to eat! I daresay it'd be perfect if only there were enough vegans about to keep them afloat without the non-vegan menu items.

Pros: Superb vegan pizza, Vegan-friendly plans for the future, Cool environment

Cons: Many meat items still on the menu

Pizza Heaven - Edit

They use Follow Your Heart vegan moz and make their own vegan almond ricotta. Every Saturday is Vegan Saturday where every vegan pizza is discounted $4! Sun Deli is involving themselves w/ the vegan community too by hosting vegan buffets at times. If you like east coast pizza, then Sun Deli will have you salivating for more!

Pros: pizza, pizza, pizza

Really great vegan delivery - Edit

Sun Deli got me though many study nights!! It's just regular pizza. You can get vegan soy cheese on just about anything. I think I made sure garlic breads and things were vegan, but the staff is super nice. Now they just to open a branch in Longmont!

Pros: fast friendly service, knowledgeable staff, great food

Return to Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sun Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3616 times since Mar 2009.