Sujata

Contact 075-721-0789

Kyoto-shi Sakyo-ku Tanaka-Mon-zen-cho 96-2, Kyoto, Japan,

Tiny restaurant on the north side of the road east of the Hyakumanben intersection in the Kyoto University and Ginkakuji area. English speaking staff. Relaxing atmosphere. Serves Japanese style lunch and dinner menu (teishoku), Indian curry, and noodles. Previously named Earth Shokudou. Mar 2014 owner reports no egg or dairy used. Last orders 6pm every day. Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-6:00pm Last orders 6pm every day

Category: Vegan, Indian, Japanese

First Review by DavidSlawColeman

Great option in Kyoto - Edit

Lovely little place by the university. Limited options, but that was a-ok with me! I had the Japanese lunch (signs have English, and the chef knows enough English that it was all very easy). Tiny. I'm probably repeating what everyone else has said, but it's a reasonable-price-for-Japan spot (800-1000 for all mains, I think), and the food was quality and good. The woman/ chef running the place on her own is really lovely!

Pros: Reasonable price., Quality food.

Cons: Tiny (not a bad thing, but for groups it could be!

Very Impressive - Edit

Though it was a long walk from our hotel, Sujata was very worth it!
The chef was lovely. I had the lunch set which was fantastic, the tofu had lemon and ginger and it was a very generous portion for ¥950.
My partner loved his Ramen so much I didn't even get to taste any! That was ¥850 and his favourite of our whole Japan trip so far.
Very cute little restaurant too as we loved the seating

Pros: Good Prices, Amazing Food, Lovely decor and staff

Great food! - Edit

The food was amazing, we got the japanese set meal that was so good! Lots of different traditional japanese foods. All vegetarian. But the restaurant only had one person working there, so it was very slow. Two of us got the japanese set and one got the ramen, the sets came out in about 15 minutes but the ramen took about another 20 minutes. The group that came in right after us was still waiting for their food when we all finished eating.

Pros: Amazing food, Big variety of traditional dishes, It was so good

Cons: Very slow

A must visit - Edit

This is my lifeline when I visit Kyoto as I more or less eat my lunch here. Great ambience with pleasant music in the background. Great food at cheap prices. Each day there is a Japanese meal and 3 or 4 standard Indian curries.
I recommend the Japanese food as you get to know how delicious Japanese vegan food can be, especially when you are visiting from abroad.

I would definitely recommend going here. More than the food, the host adds a lively touch and charm to the place. Having food here is like eating at my grandmother's place with nice atmosphere and company.

Pros: Great food, Cheap prices, Good company

WOW - Edit

WOW WOW WOW this was GREAT. The grandma making the food greets with a big smile, great recommendations, and a joyful vegan vibe. Small cafe with limited menu but everything we tried was delicious! Just ask her what's for dinner and you'll leave satisfied. Even the cake-- WOW-- not too sweet and not too sticky.

Pros: Delicious, Plentiful, Joyful

Great food & excellent experience! - Edit

Randomly wandered into the restaurant when I was in the area and it was the highlight of my day! The old lady serving was extremely kind and the navratan korma I had was much better than what I have had in some Indian restaurants. Highly recommend!

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Value

Authentic and tasty! - Edit

If any place is "slow food" it's this place. When I visited, grandma cooked and served by herself. The food was delicious and the portions were generous. Mostly Indian plus a couple Japanese options. Small menu. Very affordable.

Simple, Delicious, Well-priced Food - Edit

As other reviews have said this place is run by a delightful vegetarian owner. It was a real life-saver during the New Year period, when many other places were closed, and she even served a traditional Japanese new-year meal. As my title says the Indian food is simple, fresh and delicious, more like Indian home cooking than the greasy dishes so often served at Indian restaurants around the world. The samosas she makes fresh are absolutely amazing, so make sure you order some. The Japanese dishes are also a chance to experience traditional food without the worry of fish sauce etc or the price of Shojin Ryori. This is definitely a must-visit when in Kyoto.

Pros: fresh and delicious food, open during the new year period, delightful vegetarian owner

Cons: a bit of a walk, but worth it!

Cheap, lovely place with good japanese style food - Edit

Think title says most. It's a great place and you get a decent portion of food. Some days the lady that runs the store have a recommended dish which is usually a good option. Most food sets cost 850 yen.

Pros: Good value , Friendly lady who runs the restaurant

Easy to find. Great food. Lovely old lady. - Edit

We had dinner at Sujata this evening. It is easy to find. We went in half an hour before closing time, and the old lady requested we order the Japanese set dinner, and pointed at the wall. We did, and it was fabulous!

You can eat downstairs at the bar or some tables there, or upstairs. We were upstairs. you sit on the floor on mats, in front of low tables.

The set menu was 840 Yen, and the dessert we had was 400 Yen.

The old lady did not speak much English, but she smiled and was friendly. there was also a young guy helping her serve the food.

The food was similar to Mikoan -- traditional Japanese dishes, vegan style. I highly recommend it. The only downside is that the food took a long time to prepare. That said, there was a group of about 8 next to us upstairs, and downstairs was full. I completely understand the longish wait, and really enjoyed the food.

Pros: Easy to find, Not too expensive, Delicious food

Cons: The service was slow

Cute - Edit

Here you can sit downstairs watching them cook over the counter or upstairs. We watched them cook and chatted. The owner is very friendly. I got the Japanese obanzai set and my friend got the spinach Indian style curry (which she loved). The obanzai set was good, decent Japanese food and cheap.

Pros: Cute, Good food, Friendly

Awesome old lady - Edit

Easy to find on the north side of Imadegawa-dori east of Hyakumanben. Set menu each night. Price was ~Y800-900pp.
A tiny place you sit right at the bar looking into the kitchen as the proprietor cooks your dinner.
Highly recommended.

Pros: Authentic experience, Great food

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sujata closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6391 times since May 2011.