Sugar Bear

Contact 269-657-4841

101 W Michigan Ave (at N Kalamazoo St), Paw Paw, Michigan, USA, 49079

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant and ice cream parlor. Vegetarian items are clearly labeled, and many items can be made vegan. Has hummus, quinoa, tofu, veggie wraps, vegan soups, and stir frys. Kid friendly. Has Wi-Fi. Gluten-free menu also available.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Rambling Woman

great place for kids and ice cream - Edit

We stopped here for lunch and the place definitely has small town charm. There is a great play area for kids with lots of toys and books.
The menu is clearly labeled with things that can be made vegan (or gluten free). My toddler loved the vegan cheese quesadillas and homemade apple sauce, and my husband liked the vegan burger. I had the veggie reuben with vegan cheese. Unfortunately the dressing wasn't vegan so the sandwich was somewhat plain. Probably wouldn't order that again. There were 4 types of vegan ice cream to choose from, and the mocha chocolate bowl we shared was awesome.
Overall this place was worth the stop, and I do appreciate the many vegan options that there were to choose from.

Pros: kid play area, great ice cream, many clearly labeled vegan options

Cons: food not super exciting

Awesome Vegan Choices! - Edit

My friend just told me about this restaurant, which happens to be about an hour away from my home. We travel this direction frequently for soccer games...so now I have a spot that I plan on stopping at A LOT! I had the vegan stuffed sandwich, that I would prefer to call a calzone because I got the pizza flavored one. It was phenomenal! My mom got the vegan reuben and said it was pretty darn good, too. I can't wait to stop there again - every time I'm passing by Paw Paw, Michigan. Their online menu shows 17 items that can be made vegan. 17! Unheard of in our little area. They also have real meat items to make my kids happy. We finished our meals with ice cream - soy for my mom and I and the "real thing" for my daughter. The women working were very kind, too. While we were there, it was 10 minutes before closing and a family came in. They were seated and helped without any indication that they were closing. Great customer service!

Pros: Tons of vegan choices, Friendly staff, Fun atmosphere

CourtneyBuhl Thank you so much for the wonderful review!!!! I am the owner and I have been making it my mission to find a vegan broth I LOVE (not loving the ones I find), so that ALL of my meatless soups can be Vegan not just vegetarian. I love ideas or input from Vegans so feel free to contact me! I have a veggie cube I love but it has traces of MILK! GRRRR I shared your review on our facebook page www.sugarbearpawpaw/facebook.com I hope that was ok :-) Be sure to like our Page and check out our website. Thanks again!! We are open all year, so whenever you are in town......

Great place in SW Michigan! - Edit

What a find! This ice cream parlor and cafe has more vegetarian options than many restaurants in nearby Kalamazoo. Their menu clearly lays out what can be made vegan and gluten-free. They also have an allergy list for each dish and ice cream flavor. It's a great place to bring both omnivores and vegans.

I had a veggie quesadilla with a gluten-free tortilla. It was average in flavor and portion size. They have 4 flavors of So Delicious ice cream which I had put into a milkshake with Oreos. The mini size is perfect! I can't wait to go back for a sandwich and soup or local Ope's products.

My server did not seem familiar with the vegan and gluten-free items on the menu but she did make sure to double check everything with the kitchen and was very friendly.

Pros: Variety, Friendly staff, Price

Cons: Staff not knowledgeable about vegan diet, Small portions

CourtneyBuhl Thank you - reviews help our business so much. I am the owner and I so appreciate when people take the time to write one. I felt compelled to respond not just to thank you BUT to assure you that ALL my servers NOW are informed!! I myself have Celiac and if I go to a restaurant that boasts Gluten Free and the server seems uniformed and lacks confidence....I leave. I am too afraid to get sick. Sadly, with our big renovation and some system crashes I was not able to be on the floor as I always have been and train the wait staff. I discovered in late September that the training of the staff was not to my standard. I am SO HAPPY to say that is no longer the case!!! :-) Any staff that did not show the effort and enthusiasm needed to learn, know and serve and inform my customers are no longer here. It is a tough job working here as it is a complicated menu. I also have recently found a larger nicer (hard to find when gluten free is involved) tortilla that is gluten free and I am so excited. I hope soon the world will catch up with us and GF items will be larger and not so pricy. I hope I (or my awesome new chef) get a chance to cook for you. I can promise you, we won't disappoint. Should you come in, ask if I am in....I would like to thank you in person for your post! Maybe a Vegan ice cream on the house ;-). Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday. We are open all year and hope to see you soon!

Small Town 5 Cows! - Edit

This is a charming little small town ice cream store that also serves vegetarian food. Fun decorations on the walls and ceiling. Board games to play while you wait. Free WiFi.

How I wish there was an ice cream stores like this around when I was a kid. In addition to regular ice cream, they offer 3 vegan flavors. They have a meat menu and a HUGE vegetarian menu. Veggie BLTs, stir fry, veg chicken patties, wraps, Quinoa Burito, veggie dogs, veggie burgers, a hummus grilled cheese, quesadillas, the list goes on and on. Never one to pass up a veggie reuben, I went with that and it did not disappoint.

It was very busy when I went in but staff handled the crowd w/o a problem. To see a restaurant like this thriving in small town America puts a smile on my face. I will definitely be back next time I have to drive I-94 through Michigan. It's easy to find. Take exit #60 off of I-94. It's on the corner across from Muffler Man & the State Police.

Love the Sugar Bear! - Edit

The staff are super friendly and nice, and they advertise their veg options which is a big deal in Paw Paw! I have heard that the mother of the proprietor is vegetarian and that's to what we owe our gratitude.

Tasty homemade soups, always some vegan options!

Pros: Vegan options in small town, Low prices, Friendly staff

Return to Paw Paw Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sugar Bear closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 949 times since Feb 2009.