Sugar Apple Juice Bar Cafe

Contact 305-292-0043

917 Simonton St, Key West, Florida, USA, 33040

Vegan juice and sandwich bar attached to a health food store. Serves both cold and hot food. Limited seating at a counter, and a small outside table. Vegan since 1994.

Category: Vegan, American, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by hathor03

A Must! - Edit

The store is wonderful. Extensive refrigerated section, vegan snack foods, pantry essentials, bath and beauty necessities and more. V friendly staff. Juicebar food menu is heavy on the tofu/tempeh.

Pros: Huge variety in store, Friendly Staff

Cons: Opens late

Great store to visit - Edit

I was already past my breakfast so I only had juice there. It boosted my energy a lot. Due to different climate I was getting sniffles and it helped me a lot. Had to pick some other things from the store and they were very helpful and knowledgable

AMAZING Food! - Edit

Excellent food! Tempeh Reuben is over the top great, and grilled tofu with tahini sauce is killer! My non veg boyfriend was in heaven. This is our new go to place on KW!

Pros: Great food , great service , low key lunch spot

Cons: not a damn thing!

Best Vegan Reuben Ever? - Edit

I try vegan Reubens every time I get the chance, and I think Sugar Apple's is my new favorite. It just had the perfect balance of flavors and textures. There were several tempting sandwiches. I wish I'd had the chance to eat there more than once.

Pros: All-vegan, Nice sandwich selection, Juice and smoothies

Cons: Apparently understaffed, so slow, Tiny seating area, Seating area needed a bit more attention

The best Vegan food - Edit

Just love this place, a must try the food is amazing it really is the best place in Key West for food and juices. Also has free parking at the side.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 03, 2014

Pros: Vegan food, parking (free), friendly staff

Very tasty and large portion sizes! - Edit

We stopped here for lunch and had a great meal! They had many different sandwich choices which cost between 8-15$, along with many different juices. My husband ordered a burger which came with a big fresh salad with tasty dressing, and I ordered a FLT (faken), which came on a multi grain/nut bread, and the faken tasted really good. The mini bistro was attached to a health food store. We had a hard time finding parking in that area but it looked like they had customer parking available. We would come back to this place again!

Excellent food - Edit

This is the place in Key West for a vegan to get a great sandwich. Seating is limited to a counter and a small table outside, but the menu is rather extensive and 100% vegan. I had the tempeh Reuben and it was very good. It came with a mixed green salad.

Pros: 100% vegan, Large menu, Good food

Cons: Limited seating

delicious organic food - Edit

Great for a quick sandwich or juice. I had a wonderful tempeh Ruben on house made rye that was very tasty. My juice was also very good. Reasonably priced. Closed on Sundays and closed for dinner. Best for takeout, small space to eat inside.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 09, 2013

Great - Edit

I had an Italian stew, a special of the day that I selected from their blackboard with their daily specials listed. Not sure if this is the kind of thing that is regularly on the standard menu. My meal was quite delicious. I would absolutely eat here again.

So, why only four cows for the rating? The only thing to be careful about is that there is a store attached to the restaurant part of the business. (You walk through a doorway to go from one area to the other, and it is clear which area is which.) At a quick glance, I saw items that use animal ingredients (vitamins with capsules made from animals, etc.) in the store. So, don't automatically assume that the items in the store area are also vegan. Let me emphasize: ALL ITEMS IN THE FOOD SERVED ARE VEGAN, AND IT ALSO STATES THIS ON THEIR MENU. Just make sure to check or ask about any purchases you are considering that come only from the store area. No worries about anything in the restaurant area.

Pros: Great meals and drinks., Fair pricing (considering quality and location)., Friendly, helpful staff.

Cons: Not much space for eating. Could be a problem dur, Non-vegan items in attached store, NOT IN THEIR FO

Key West Vegan - Edit

I was in Key West this past week and was out for a run and found the Sugar Apple! The FLT sandwich was unbelievable and I actually went back the same day to get the special, Vegan Reuben sandwich to take with me. Both sandwiches were so fresh, it was amazing!!!

Pros: Vegan, Fresh, great choices

Fresh * healthy * delicious - Edit

Great spot for lunch. Loved their juice/ smoothies. Peaceful Tempey and Italian veggie sausage were yummy. Most meals come with entree sized salad. Recommend the place 100%. The store is nice as well. Found a fresh mango bread that was one of a kind.

Amazing - Edit

This was my favorite place to eat in Key West. The portions were huge! Loved the peaceful tempeh sandwich and also the italian one. So very delicious!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, large portions

Cons: limited hours, takes a while to make the food.

Excellent sandwiches - Edit

Our cruise ship stopped in Key West, so we ate here for lunch while in port. As noted by everyone below, this little deli is all vegan (although the attached store is only vegetarian). It's noted on their menu and their blackboard. There's only a few seats, but we had a late lunch there, so had no problem. They also have free filtered water. We ordered the banana and raspberry smoothie which was very tasty. We each had a different tempeh sandwich and both were excellent with fantastic bread. The side salad was also excellent with greens, tomatoes, seeds, etc with a choice of 3 different dressings. So glad we got a chance to eat here!

Pros: excellent sandwiches, fantastic bread, all vegan menu

Cons: tiny

The best vegan lunch in Key West - Edit

My wife and I ate here everyday while on vacation (except for Sunday, they were closed, and we unfortunately ate some garbage at Green Republic). Sugar Apple has a small menu, but everything on it is great. The sandwiches are made on great bread, they are filled with excellent greens, and they are super tasty. Every lunch we had was two menu items and a smoothie and it was around $20. If you go to Key West, eat here for lunch; there is no better vegan lunch to be had.

Pros: Great Food, Inexpensive, Good Location

Cons: Closed Sunday

A small eating area - Edit

We enjoyed stopping in at the "deli" attached to a health-food store. The vegan sandwiches were delicious. Our daughter enjoyed the simple vegan hot dogs that the staff made for her.

"Only Vegan Kitchen in Key West" - Edit

Small juice bar adjacent to a health food store, varied ALL VEGAN menu, limited seating (only a few stools at a counter). Friendly staff, convenient location. Pro-vegan literature on display.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, ALL VEGAN!

Cons: Limited seating

Awesome, healthy vegan spot - Edit

Teeny tiny little hole in the wall vegan kitchen. Serves soups, sandwiches, salads, fresh juice, smoothies, etc. Entirely vegan!

Pros: All vegan!, Great specials, Healthy and delicioius

Cons: Small, Slow, Closed Sundays

Good Customer Service - Edit

The better choice in Key West for your natural products. Their deli cafe has great food and juices. Great place to grab a quick lunch on the go.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly

Cons: parking, small

Sugar Apple - Edit

With Williams Market leaving, Sugar Apple is the next best choice. They are much smaller, but they have a decent selection of items. They don't have much in the way of cold/freezer items though. They also have a cafe which serves some good things.

Return to Key West Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sugar Apple Juice Bar Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6620 times since Aug 2007.