First Review by Misanthropia

bad business overall. - Edit

the waiter is malicious. we had one hot chocolate with whipped cream. every single spoon tasted like cow's milk. the chocolate squares on the side melted and tasted like a whole milk bar. when asked the brand of the chocolate, the chef kept being evasive saying it's an industrial brand which comes in bulks. also the chocolate squares are allegedly a brand called 'bella' (if anybody finds out let me know..). in the small kitchen they use to prepare the chocolate there are some chocolate bars which are not vegan and you can buy in the shops. not to mention one of those was the full fat milk I think they gave us.

Pros: ambience if you like trash/kitch

Cons: not vegan and mischevious

not so vegan !! - Edit

worst Location I have visited in the past years !!
when I asked the waiter, he told me that everything there is vegan, but then he served Coffee with cows milk !!
I had a small peace of truffle cake, but it was so old that even my fork couldn't cut through !!!

Cons: serves Cows Milk, but says it's vegan !!!, expensive, grumpy waiter

Fake vegan, unfriendly, and not even clean - Edit

I went to 'Suessi' because of the very positive first review here (regrettably I hadn't looked it up on tripadvisor, otherwise I would probably not even have gone there in the first place). It was an awful experience. First thing I noticed was that my cup was a bit dirty. When I asked the waiter if what I wanted to order was really vegan, he reacted very unfriendly, claiming that of course everything was vegan. Anyway, the chocolate definitely tasted like it contained cow milk. I talked to another customer, and she felt the same way about her food and the behavior of the waiter, and we both felt equally uncomfortable. I agree with the earlier reviewer that the atmosphere is special in this place, but to us both it felt rather awkward.
By the way, Suessi really has a sign saying 'Vegan', but its homepage does not mention anything about anything being vegan. And IMHO it really isn't.

Cons: Fake-vegan, Unfriendly, Strange atmosphere

Sacred grounds of vegan dessert! - Edit

I walked pass by this store quite a few times. It is located close to Karlsplatz and the TU Vienna on the way to vegan supermarkets. I admired the lovely made desserts already, but just now he put up a huge sign saying "vegan"! I couldn't believe my eyes, so I had to go in and make sure that any of these marvels could actually be vegan. I went in and immediately felt like I left this world and was summoned to the Orient Express or the Wonderland of Sweets. I think that I have asked him about four times "Is this vegan?" "But is this vegan as well?" And yes, he assured me that everything is vegan, only a few quiches in the display which are marked as vegetarian contain dairy or eggs. Given the huge selection, it was quite a challenge to make a choice, but luckily me and my SO are very willing to try out as much as possible! And now I'll try to discribe this fairytale without letting it sound like a love poem, which it would deserve as well. So, we tried three differents tartlettes: white chocolate with coconut, dark chocolate with blackberrys and date-caramel. Already the first bite casts you into a nirvana of taste and delight! I can't tell you how excited I was to try this desserts, and I am a very critical dessert eater, but this was way beyond any expectation I could possibly have!
Then we tried the Punschkrapfen ( a traditional austrian dessert) which was good, but nothing compared to his other creations. The meringue tastes like the original, a bit to sweet for me ( but I didn't like meringue as a non-vegan as well), but my SO loved it. I just had the small truffe au chocolat noir, which might be the most breathtaking bite of chocolate I ever took! And now, as if it couldn't get any better, comes the finale (drumroll). He offers several versions of Tarte a la creme chocolat au liqueur gourmandise (heavy-breathing). We tried the Baileys chocolat (self-made vegan baileys) and chocolat blanc champagne and I don't know if the English language offers the right adjectives to express the sensation of this almost spiritual experience of taste! The Baileys chocolat is topped with a small cookie and brioche like dough inbetween covered in heavenly, creamy chocolate. And then, the last dessert I tried: The chocolat blanc champagne. I think I heard a flock of angels sing after this dessert touched my taste buds. This creamy, delicious relic was so good that I got goosebumps! It took the over the sensory center of taste in my brain and made me experience enlightenment. This is is, I thought to myself, this is the one! The ultimate dessert! The Vatican of the chocolate lovers. (fireworks)
So, to put an end to my hymn of praise, this place is a must visit for every dessert lover who comes to Vienna! This was so magical, in the olden times they would have written songs about it!
And if my description of this unmatchable taste experience wasn't convincing enough, I might add that for that level of finesse and quality, the price is suprisingly generous!

Last remark: This place is only opened from June to August.

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Süssi Salon de Thé Francais closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.