First Review by Navegante

Vegan ice cream! - Edit

I visited SubZero with my family of four after a trip to Legoland California. They have almond milk and coconut milk bases, in addition to traditional dairy bases. The bases are all vanilla or plain flavors. You can then choose up to three flavors, and one mix-in (like chocolate chips, nuts, and fruit). They have a list of the vegan flavors and mix-ins. The staff makes the entire concoction in front of you, using liquid nitrogen. It's pretty cool.

It was a bit pricey ($25+ for four "regular" size servings). I am also not sure that the vegan list provided was accurate. It said that the sprinkles were vegan, but most sprinkles contain confectioners glaze and are not vegan. The staff was helpful, though, and my ice cream craving was satisfied. I ordered the coconut milk base. It was pretty good - not amazing, though. Store-bought Coconut Bliss is much better.

Love Em - Edit

I have been getting my vegan ice creams from sub zero since my days in Utah! Not only is it super fun to watch them make your ice cream but is fast, and the staff will clean out their cups if you specify that you are vegan etc. Sometimes they have specific cups that are designated just for almond milk etc. I love getting fruity flavors. The texture of the ice cream can be kind of crunchy at first though so be warned!/

Pros: Delicious, Cleanliness, Creative

Cons: Expensive, Small Portion

Vegan 'Ice Cream' in Carlsbad - YUMMM!!! - Edit

If you've never been to a Subzero store, you need to try it. The experience of watching them freeze your treat is amazing - cold fog everywhere. It looks like something out of a mad science show. We stopped here because I'm familiar with this chain in Utah as being a place vegans can get a good treat. I had the coconut milk base with coconut flavor and oreo cookies, in a cup. Waffle bowls are not vegan (casein). It is really good. The texture is a bit more slushy than traditional ice cream, but it hits the spot for a cool treat on a hot summer's day. My whole family loved it!

Pros: Vegan frozen treat, Near Legoland and the beach, AMAZING to watch them make it

Return to Carlsbad Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Subzero Ice Cream and Yogurt closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.