Su Ren - Veg Inn

021-62810108

1585 Huashan Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China

Name 素人素食, address 徐汇区华山路1585号(泰安路淮海西路). The owner is Tibetan Buddhist. No egg or alcohol used. Has picture menu with English descriptions. Dishes are named with Buddhist terms.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Buddhist, Tibetan

First Review by SP

Great food - Edit

Have been here several times now. Initially it was had to find as it is deep on the edge of a corner street. Was skeptical to walk in as it looked like someone’s home. Wife that works here speaks some English.. whole menu is on WeChat so make sure you have the app. Food was delicious!! Have been back several times and will be returning before I leave Shanghai!

Great for small groups - Edit

Every time I go I like everything I try. I bring groups of 6-8 people so that we order many dishes and try different things.
Although I love the challenge of reading their handwritten menu in Mandarin, sometimes I just have no time and ask for the menu with the English translation. Note that this menu has probably been translated with Baidu so a few names look awful, but at least you know the main ingredients. Their aubergines and veggie stir fried rice are always on our table.
The staff is very nice and attentive to any request. Since the place is very small, it never gets too crowded, which is great for group privacy.
The only thing I did not enjoy much was a mock meat sausage dish, but that might be because I never enjoyed real sausages in the past either, my friends liked it.
They sell some herbs and spices downstairs by the cashier.

Pros: quiet, good for small groups

Cons: not for very tall people

Literally my favourite restaurant of all time - Edit

I really cannot overstate how much I love this place. I've been there around about six times now and it has been consistently amazing each time. The faux meat is absolutely fantastic, the best I've ever had. That said, for those that don't enjoy the taste of fake meat there is also plenty of delicious vegetable dishes. A seemingly spectacular demonstration of just how good vegetarian/vegan Chinese cuisine can get.

Note that for those who don't speak or read Chinese there is now a menu that you can look at on WeChat which also has pictures of all the dishes.

Pros: Absolutely amazing food, Very reasonably priced, Welcoming staff

Cons: English menu requires WeChat

Average - Edit

I didn't really like my mushroom dish with pine nuts. Our daughter loved the sausage and cucumber dish she had. My husband had the pepper steak. I wasn't a fan but he liked it okay. It is very close to our hotel and we love to support veg restaurants so we may try it again. If we do I'll give the curry veggies a whirl.

Pros: staff very nice

nice owner - Edit

The description above says there's a picture menu, but when I went earlier this month (June 2015) there wasn't one. The owner explained that there used to be one, on his iPad, but one day his iPad went missing (someone might've walked away with it?), and since then he hasn't had a chance to do up a new photo menu.

They have a non-photo menu, with a lot of items on it, but all in Chinese. If you can, go with someone who can decipher it for you!

To get there, from Jiaotong Uni metro station (Lines 10 & 11), take exit 7 and it's a short walk north. On the right you'll come to a parking gate (see photo), go through there. You'll see Coolzy Pizza on the right, and Veg Inn is next to it.

The place is small, with seating for only ten. It's a no smoking place, and there's free wifi!

Pros: friendly owner who speaks some English, no smoking, free wifi

Cons: no menu in English

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Su Ren - Veg Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.