CLOSED: Strega Cafe

Contact 905-984-5872

19 King Street (at downtown), St Catharines, Ontario, Canada,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Saint Catharines cafe with a small food menu that offers salads, at least one daily vegan soup, and a few lacto-vegetarian sandwiches (dairy). Vegans can ask to omit cheese, mayonaise, etc... From time to time you will find vegan cookies and treats. Has soymilk for coffee. Casual, art exhibits, open mic, and live music some evenings. Non smoking. JUL 2014 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Delivery, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by World B. Free

mmm soup - Edit

This used to be my lunch spot of choice (before Rise Above opened).

As other users already mentioned, most of the menu is salad and sandwitches, and there are limited vegan options (though they do allow me to pick the toppings that I want on my sandwitch - and the olive tapenade is a must). The homemade focaccia is very good, and they often have vegan cookies (which are hit or miss) as well as one or two other vegan treats. There is soy milk if you like it in your coffee or tea, and the coffee is fair trade. The chili is vegan too, and there is always at least one (often two) vegan soup(s). The soup in this place is soooo good. I like to order a small bowl of soup w/ a half-sandwitch, or a large bowl of soup w/ focaccia and olive tapenade. I find the portions to be filling, but I enjoy modest proportions.

I agree with the other reviewers though, in that this place should provide more vegan options (as well as variety), as it's a great place to relax. The staff is friendly and helpful (not shy to the word "vegan"), and the decor and atmosphere is the best in St. Catharines). Additionally, open mic nights on Thursdays are tons of fun and you're sure to discover a plethora of new talent.

Pros: Soup, Atmosphere, Bread

Cons: Limited options, Cookies not consistent, Too much meat

cheap drinks - Edit

I have to agree with the last review, Strega has a lot of sandwiches and salads. Nothing I really cant make on my own. In fact, after eating their overpriced sandwiches. I made my own, exactly the same. It is a nice place to have a quick bite when you dont want the hassle of making your own meal. The drinks are cheap on certain evenings, like martini night! Always end up leaving a little hungry. The service tends to be ok at best. Usually tables are taken up by lone coffee drinkers using the free wi-fi on their laptops. I have had to wait for a table too many times because of this.

Pros: good food, good prices, nice place

Cons: loud, bad service, small portions

Sandwiches and... - Edit

not much else. The atmosphere, local events, arts are all great and the people are always friendly, however for vegans there really are only a few sandwich options on the menu. It seems strange that as progressive as the cafe is they don't have more vegan options on the menu.

Pros: Local Art/Events , Friendly Staff, Good Sandwiches

Cons: Not much else other than sandwiches

Return to St Catharines Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Strega Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1049 times since Aug 2007.