Streets of India Cafe

Contact 818-325-2500

16260 Ventura Blvd, Encino, California, USA, 91436

Serves meat, vegan options available. Was veg when it opened its doors in 2011 but added meat in summer 2011. Makes authentic Indian street food using herbs and fresh ingredients. The veg dishes are marked with "v" and many are or could be made vegan upon request. Specialties include South Indian dishes like masala dosa and uttapam, as well as curries prepared with soy meats. All-you-can-eat lunch buffet on weekdays. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by ashokkumar

Questionably Vegan - Edit

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do about this...I'm pretty solidly sure that my meal there yesterday was not vegan. My body reacted horribly from their food. I was so excited to have a mostly vegan buffet. I triple questioned them that all of the items were vegan - no animal, no dairy, no butter, no broth - going through all of the super basic things that non-vegans don't think of. This caused the restauranteur to change one of the items to "veg" from "v". This had me feel comfortable that they understood. My body had a violent reaction - without going through the specifics, my body responds in a specific way, the last time this happened, I accidentally ate chips at a mexican restaurant that were cooked in lard (I learned after eating them and excusing myself from the table for about 45 min.) My friends who are meat eaters that ate with me had no reaction. I was actually hoping for typical food poisoning vs. having to accept I ate animal products. If you are vegan, I would be very careful if you choose to eat here.

Many vegan dishes - Edit

When I read about this place on HappyCow I was very eager to give it a try. Came here shortly after it had opened in 2011. Back then the entire restaurant was pure vegetarian Indian. Now there's some meat on the menu.

Went back again this week, Sept 2013, and here's my Streets of India Cafe review update.

On my first visit, we were a group of 4 friends who ordered a wide range of dishes to share, and we all enjoyed our meal. The family that runs this Indian cafe were gracious and helpful with our orders. They explained which items were vegan and which could be altered to suit vegan diets. From the menu we had tried samosas, bhelpuri (crunchy puff rice salad mix), panipuri (bite size puffs served with stuffing, chilled soup, and sauce), masala dosa (spiced potato stuffed crepe), uttapam (griddlecake), and several curries to share (jackfruit curry, kerala soy fish curry, soy chicken curry, and chana masala). We had a lot of extras to take home. Everything was delicious, well seasoned and tasted healthy - unlike other Indian foods I've had which often times are too salty or too spicy.

My personal favorites were the soy chicken curry in the tomato base (great sauce), the samosas, the panipuri, and the jackfruit curry.

On my second visit (this week), I opted for the lunch buffet. It was all you can eat for only $6.75 early bird special (crazy price!) and $8.75 regular lunch time (still very cheap). Many dishes were vegan suitable and labeled as such. I tried a bunch of dishes, and everything was all right. Personally, I prefer to savor a la carte dishes. Mixing buffet dishes proved to be too overwhelming for my palate.

I recommend this place. The food is good. The house made mango chutney is divine - it's sweet and tangy like spiced candy jam.

Pros: good seasoning, friendly people, mango chutney is divine

Walked out Today - Edit

This establishment now serves meat and I will not be returning, another Vegetarian restaurant lost!

Updated from previous review on Monday October 03, 2011

Cons: Serves Meat, No longer a Vegetarian Establishment

5 Gold Stars! - Edit

Found this place via a Groupon coupon deal. Excellent food, with extensive menu having many vegan options, at a good price. Parking included for 1 hr., and friendly family who owns the restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value

Excellent Indian Food! - Edit

Streets of India has some of the best Indian food I've ever tasted, and ALL of the food served there is either vegan or vegetarian: there are NO meat options (hooray!). At our lunch there today, my partner ordered the Masala Dosa, which was enormous and came with two sauces: one hot & spicy, the other mild & tangy. Despite the huge size of the dosa, my partner had no trouble finishing it, so I know he liked it. I had the Thali plate, which comes with 3 vegetable choices, either white or brown rice, raita, a side of relish, naan, and a beverage. My vegetable choices were spinach, cauliflower, and okra, all of which were delicious and nicely spiced: not too hot but just hot enough for my taste. (ALL of the other selections also looked great.) Instead of regular naan, I opted to pay a dollar extra for the garlic naan, which was superb.

We opted to sit outside on the front patio, as there didn't seem to be any air-conditioning inside. The patio tables all had umbrellas, which we appreciated, and they were very clean as well. Also, the patio is high enough and far enough away from Ventura Bl. that no dirt or car exhaust fumes blew on us or into our plates. Though the temperature outside was quite warm, we preferred to sit out there rather than inside where it felt even warmer.

There could have been better coordination behind the counter, but both servers were friendly, and both came out to see if everything was okay.

I wish Streets of India would open a restaurant in Hollywood, so that we could enjoy their fantastic, all-vegetarian food regularly.

Pros: delicious Indian food, NO meat is served, service is fast & polite

Cons: didn't seem to be air-conditioned, limited number of tables

mmmm Tasty - Edit

Great place. Superb food and excellent staff. The "lamb" Samosa was really tasty, the chapati nice and fresh, the "Chicken" Tika (Made Vegan on request) was creamy and rich and the Manchurian Gobi was absolutely amazing. If your in the area its really worth a visit, can't wait to go back

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Amazing Staff

Cons: not the cheapest

Authentic Indian food, BEST service ever! - Edit

Streets of India Cafe is better than I could have imagined. My friend and I, both of us vegans, walked into the quiet restaurant for dinner. The gentleman at the counter guided us through the entire menu and told us what was vegan, which was just about everything. As we ordered, he alerted the kitchen that everything on our order should be done vegan. We had a dosa, saag, and the dal of the day, which came with a choice of brown or white rice. Our server even brought out several choices of pickle.

For less than twenty dollars, my friend and I had a filling and delicious dinner.

While I am not Indian, I've had many Indian friends over the years, and I've had some great home Indian cooking. The food tasted authentic, not like the overly oily and greasy Indian food that is typically served in Indian restaurants.

And, to top it all off... when ordering, I inquired if the desserts could be done vegan. Unfortunately they cannot be. But, halfway through our meal, a woman came out and told us she was bringing us a vegan dessert.... on the house! It was a cream of wheat-style dish in coconut milk with ground pistachio and coconut on top, and was absolutely delicious. I hope that this dessert eventually makes it to the menu.

Top-notch service and superior food. I will definitely be coming back!

Pros: great service, vegan friendly, inexpensive

Delectable - Edit

Excellent, fresh, clean, and very tasty! The Korma Curry with vegetables is awesome, made with coconut and cashews. The Rava Dosa was terrific. Try the Panipuri for a delicate and special appetizer. Excellent service.

Great Vegetarian /Vegan friendly restaurant - Edit

Came across this new restaurant that opened in Encino.
Friendly service,generous portions & affordable prices.They serve lot of Soy products.Enjoyed their Okra which was very fresh.Paneer stuffed bread was very well prepared.All vegetarians /vegan folks should try.Another plus point is one hour validated parking .I went during a weekday & didn't have to struggle for parking on busy Ventura blvd.

Pros: Friendly service, affordable price, fresh food

Cons: should offer nan

Return to Encino Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Streets of India Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1864 times since Jan 2011.