Strange Matter

Contact 804-447-4763

929 W Grace St (at Harrison), Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual restaurant, venue, and arcade. Menu is 70% vegan with dishes using jackfruit and mock meats. Daily specials, vegan breakfast biscuits and gravy, and more. Vegan cheese always offered. The arcade features old school games (like Mario Brothers). Live music, hip college atmosphere. Open Mon-Sun 4:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veganthespian6

Good # of vegan options in a 'strange' setting ;-) - Edit

Get past the challenging parking and the dark decor so you can enjoy choosing from the many vegan options on the menu. The highlights for me are the vegan mac & cheese and the vegan doughnut holes (I've never found these two anywhere else). The servers have mostly been polite and accommodating and will turn down the music if asked nicely.

Pros: many vegan options, reasonably priced, good food, most servers have been friendly

Cons: sometimes noisy (daytime drunks talking loudly), parking is hard to come by occasionally

Fantastic Vegan options in a strange place - Edit

Its a rough environment- very well suited for the heavy metal bands, etc that play there on a regular basis. The Vegan food however is AWESOME! Love it. We try something new each time and are never disappointed. A real hidden gem when it comes to creative, tasty diner type Vegan options.

Pros: Reuben, all the vegan sandwiches

Cons: not a place to take grandma

Try The Reuben - Edit

Ate Strange Matter for the first time last night- I ordered the Paul's Reuben sandwich with daiya and a side of vegan mac and cheese. Overall, I was really impressed. The Paul's Reuben is literally, THE BEST reuben I have ever eaten in my life, hands down! You can't even tell that it's vegan, and if you haven't tried it yet you are really missing out. The mac was not bad, but it was not on the same level as the sandwich which was disappointing. It bland for my taste, but it was nothing a little nutritional yeast and hot sauce couldn't fix. Strange Matter is my new go-to for delivery.

A regular diner with vegan options - Edit

You get what you pay for here - diner food. Burgers, fries with mayo, wings, etc. However, you can get all these things vegan here. Their lentil burgers are really good, and on Tuesday they're only 3 dollars. Vegan cheese costs extra. People often complain about the service here, but it's a punk bar, so I accept it the way it is.

Pros: Good vegan options, Cheap

Cons: Spotty service

Great place - Edit

Great place to get a drink,they offer a few veganized mixed drinks.Sandwiches are good and we always get the donughts.Just make sure to check their schedule before heading over because they host shows most nights of the week.

Pros: vegan mixed drinks, some vegan items, fun young atmoaphere

Cons: burger night

A Variety of Vegan Items, but OKAY food - Edit

My Husband and I have tried this location 2 different times, both times trying several items on the menu. We were both extremely excited by the amount/variety of vegan items on the menu. Unfortunately, we were unimpressed with the quality of the food. It was certainly edible, and we enjoyed some items more than others. The price and portions are reasonable, but overall, it was just OKAY.

Pros: Variety, Price

Cons: Quality , Flavor

"The Revenge" - Edit

I will have you. You will be mine one day. I saw you on the menu yesterday, a king among men (or of sandwiches, whatever). I settled on the biscuits and gravy, as I had a long day ahead of me and new you'd probably best me, but I promise you, I'll be back. Pretty interesting place. Lots of vegan options and some super sweet throwback video games. Service was a bit slow, but all in all a pleasant experience, I highly recommend.

Pros: the revenge, video games, good music

INCREDIBLE. - Edit

Strange Matter's food is delicious. My omnivore boyfriend and I (vegan) eat there all the time together, and we both leave happy and full. They have an excellent selection and a great variety of specials that change from day to day :). Whatever kind of vegan cheese they use is superior. To everything. Also super cheap. Nothing is over $10, and tax is included. I love them!!!! Best vegan-friendly restaurant in RVA. I would give them a 5-cow rating even though they are not fully vegetarian, but Happy Cow won't let me ;)

Pros: Delicious Food, Very friendly/helpful staff, Low Prices

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Strange Matter closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3413 times since May 2010.