Stockpot

• Veg-friendly
Contact 27832165

Gertrudes Iela 6, Riga, Latvia,

Serves meat, vegan options available. A family-owned bistro offers at least two vegan options daily. Daily menu is written on a blackboard with vegan items clearly marked. closed Sat-Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by maljorka

Great vegan choices for lunch! - Edit

I visited Riga for work and was lucky enough to find that our local office orders lunch for delivery from Stockpot. I had a delicious (and huge) potato, spinach and chickpea curry with rice and a side salad. I've heard that the place is very popular and regularly has long queues at lunchtime, so you might have to wait a few minutes to be served. They have a few vegan options each day, so definitely worth a visit if you're in the area - near the Art Nouveau district.

Pros: Lots of vegan options (daily menu changes), Huge portions

Cons: Not 100 percent vegan

Daily menu - Edit

Menu changes daily but they have the menu for the week available so you don't have to turn up to find out if they'll have anything you like.

Few vegetarian options and always one vegan option per day. Veggie and vegan options clearly labelled.

Poor customer service, overpriced food - Edit

The first time I went to Stock Pot was last year and I had trouble finding it as I had lost my piece of paper with the address. So I ended up walking up and down Gertrudes St for half an hour before finding it. When I arrived, I was very thirsty and so drank water from my water bottle which they didn’t liked, despite the effort I had made to find the place. So we did not get off to the best start, but anyway since I was there I decided to try to the food. It was ok and so I wrote a review mentioning they had vegetarian food, but I didn’t tell them, because I usually do not tell places when I write reviews. After that I went a few more times, and Richard, the owner, was pressuring me to write a review. I thought it was odd considering I had already written a review, but I didn’t mention that. He wanted me to mention things about their meat dishes, etc which again was odd because I had only eaten their vegetarian food. Frankly I thought their food was a bit expensive. They also do not have specials for lunch. When I went there, I would usually spend about 5 lats (without a drink) for my vegetarian food which was expensive for a cafeteria style restaurant; at almost all other restaurants in Riga including actual sit down restaurants, lunch costs less than that except for the most expensive ones and to spend so much elsewhere at lunch, one would have to go to a non vegetarian restaurant and order non vegetarian food. It is far more expensive than any other vegetarian place at lunch and one of the most expensive places if not the most expensive place at dinner for vegetarians.

I have other things to say, but I would prefer to say them in a pm rather than write them here.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Cons: the most expensive option for vegetarian, portions are too small, unfriendly service

Great veggie options at a low price - Edit

Small nice and friendly place. I had the two vegan options of the day which were a Malaysian laksa (= spicy noodle) soup with coconut milk and a "chili con soya" with rice. Both were very good and the soup was one of the best soups I ever had.

Very friendly service. Low prices.

I wish this was a "veg only" place ;-) ... then it would be perfect!

Pros: great food, nice people, low price

Cons: serves meat

The best food for vegans in Riga - Edit

In Riga there aren't many places for vegans to eat, furthermore - if you manage to find a place, probably you will be able to get only potatoes and cabbage salad.
But Stockpot offers something fresh, so to say. Daily menu includes at least two vegan options that are clearly marked with letters VG (so you don't have to interrogate the staff about ingredients). Usuallythey offer something different every day from various cuisines (some examples: chilli con soya, tom kha, dahl, gazpacho), but every day they have tabbouleh + hummus (very tasty).
The atmosphere is really good, and the place is quite small. From the seating area you can see the kitchen and it is very clean and white. This bistro is family-owned - the owner himself is a chef there, and his wife serves food. They are very friendly (and speak English as well).
Full portion costs about 2-3 LVL, but you can get a half portion for half of that sum.
Unfortunately, they do serve meat, but at least you can't feel any smells from cooking it, and it isn't "displayed" there.
If you go there later in the day, you might be left with only one option, because the bistro is very popular and people tend to eat everything during the day :)

Pros: near centre of the city, very tasty, affordable

Cons: serves meat

Return to Riga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Stockpot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1877 times since Sep 2012.