CLOSED: Stephanie's Bakery

619-307-0950

4879 Voltaire St (at /in Ocean Beach), San Diego, California, USA, 92107

Ocean Beach area vegan bakery and cafe offering fresh baked goods, organic coffee, and light lunch food like pizza. JAN 2014 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. CONFIRMED by its FB message.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by condekedar

Delicious! - Edit

This is a cool little place to get Vegan comfort food. The pizza in the oven smelled delish so I had to try a piece- yummy! I also had some Rooibos Tea with vegan coconut creamer and German Chocolate Cake-Awesome! I highly recommend the cake. Friendly service as well.

Pros: Delicious comfort food, Cozy environment, Friendly service

Cons: Street parking only

Best Vegan Cake - Edit

I always order my Birthday cake from here. It's the best vegan cake I've ever tried, it's so moist and perfect. I would eat the whole cake by myself in one day If I could. I always crave food from here. I've gotten the pizza as well, It was pretty good (: A little expensive though.

The cake is totally worth it though

Pros: Delicious moist cake, Friendly Staff

Cons: pizza is overpriced when you get topping

A Disappointment - Edit

We finally got to try this place out after several tries (always closed when we were in town). We were sadly disappointed. We only tried the cupcakes. Of the four we bought, only one was decent--the double chocolate. One cupcake was seriously burned and wasn't the flavor we ordered, nor the flavor the friendly woman at the counter thought it was. The others were oily and had very greasy icing. I don't see any point in going back to try anything else. We did get a couple of very nice pieces of vegan cake at People's coop a block away, so that's our choice in the neighborhood for vegan baked goods in future.

Pros: Friendly service

TheRedVegan 07 Feb 2013 - The team here at Stephanie's would like to humbly apologize and invite you to our place again, dinner and dessert is on us. Please contact us to set up a time and make sure to check out our new extended hours.

Our thanks in advance and we look forward to seeing you!

Best Vegan food in San Diego - Edit

I found Stephanie's on an open search for vegan cupcakes for my sister's birthday a few years ago and was blown away. The huge variety of pastries and cakes was enough to make anyone's mouth water and water they did as everyone at her party happily ate them. I had one of their vegan sandwiches to go and fell in love right away. It takes a while to get your food but that is because EVERYTHING is made fresh to order (including the bread). They have the best vegan pizza around, even my son loved it and he is weird about everything. I am not able to make it down a lot because it is only open three days a week and in OB which I do not entirely enjoy driving too but when I can I cannot wait to order. Their chocolate dutch chocolate (or something like that) cake is to die. LOVE LOVE LOVE Stephanie's.

Pros: Great Taste, Friendly Staff, Fresh Ingrediants

Cons: Location, only open three days a week

Stellar Stephanie's - Edit

I ordered a slice of carrot cake and a pizza. The baked goods seemed a little expensive. The cashier was very friendly.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, good location

Cons: overpriced

It's alright - Edit

First off, this is a partial review as we only had two mini cupcakes here (carrot/chocolate). They were OK, a little too sweet, nothing to write home about. Regular cakes seemed a bit pricey at $7/slice, which was why we got the mini version instead since they were baked from the same batters anyway (confirmed by staff). Nice that they came in different sizes though.

Pros: cakes in different sizes

Cons: a little pricey

Absolutely the best Pizza I have ever had - Edit

This place.....WOW!!! I could go on for hours raving after just one visit. Perfect crust, perfect sauce, perfect toppings, cooked to perfection with a ton of love & soul. Had a carrot cupcake to top off the meal and it blew my mind (and tastebuds) away.

Be warned though after eating here every other restaurant will only disappoint. I left saying "Why doesn't all food taste like this? What an amazing world it would be!" Vegan food should not taste this good, I'll be back every chance I get.

Pros: Perfection

Cons: All other food now tastes bland

Yummy Pizza and cupcakes - Edit

I brought my niece and nephew to Stephanie's because I heard some great things about the Vegan cupcakes. They are amazing! I have tried the vanilla cupcake, the chocolate chip cookie, and the gluten free brownie all of which were delicious. I was excited when I saw pizza on the menu and we ended up ordering the Pesto, which has artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes. My niece and nephew are actually pretty picky eaters and they loved the deserts and pizza from Stephanie's. I have been here about 5 times since and the staff is always very friendly, they answer any questions I may have. I love the art on the walls and the location.

Pros: Yummy food, Vegan, Friendly

Best vegan food EVER - Edit

I don't feel as though I really need to review this place. What else can I say when others describe Stephanies food as "orgasmic" or that they have "died and gone to vegan heaven?" Is there anything I could say that would entice you further to visit this wonderful place?
The staff is awesome, the food is to die for. I take a bite of their supreme pizza and just completely melt in my seat, moaning. (Yes, it can be an embarrassing scene but who can notice the people staring when you are in that much ecstasy). I think to myself, there can't be anything else in the world that tastes better....and then...I take a bite of the vanilla passion cake.... Oh god, just the thought of it..my mouth is watering.
Hats off to Stephanies. You found the cure to sad vegans everywhere. Never have to have bland, boring food again!

Pros: Friendly, YUM YUM YUM, Strudel, Cake, Pizza!

Cons: Hours

Tasty vegan strudel - Edit

So my friend and I decided we wanted a light breakfast before departing San Diego and Stephanie's Bakery came up on my Happycow app, so we headed down there. I looked at their menu before we arrived and had my heart set on a sandwich. When we ordered at the counter I happened to notice something in the display case that was not on the menu, a vegan broccoli and cheese strudel. Well I've never had strudel, so I changed my order right there and it was only $3. The strudel was the perfect size for my light breakfast and was pretty tasty. I felt like I had to acquire a taste for the cheese, but after a few bites the taste didn't bother me anymore. Everything all together made for a tasty strudel and I'd certainly visit Stephanie's in the future for another one. Be sure to call ahead if you want strudel (their sign indicates you should do that).

Best Vegan Pizza - Edit

I went to this place well before Daiya hit the market, and whatever they used made their pizza unreal and out of this world! I was seriously concerned it wasn't vegan, it was that close to real cheese. I had a bite of a few pastries and they were nothing special, but I could have gone on a day where they were selling day old or something. None the less, the pizza was outrageously good! The best pizza I've ever had vegan or not.

Pros: Best Pizza Ever, Crazy Good Pizza, Seriously, try the Pizza

Cons: A little pricey

Best Pizza in San Diego & Cheesecake too - Edit

Stephanie's is my favorite pizza place - love the pesto pizza w/ extra cheese. The midnight chocolate cheesecake is my favorite. Love the struedels too. Have to have a mocha too. It's nice to walk into a bakery and know everything is vegan.

Stephanie's is heaven on earth! - Edit

I am planning an all-vegan wedding in North County, and couldn't find a vegan baker in my area. I almost ended up baking all the cupcakes and cake myself! Then I stumbled upon Stephanie's, and I am so glad I did! First off, they use organic ingredients, and no animal products are ever used in their store. This is HUGE! Secondly, they have OUTSTANDING service. I came in on a Saturday afternoon and the woman who was running the front end, Rachel, was kind enough to do a cupcake tasting...without an appointment! She thoroughly explained each cupcake, the frostings, and their baking process. Rachel was kind and bubbly...truly a delight to be around. I was even introduced to their baker, Maria, who is also very nice.

Most importantly, their baked items are AMAZING. I tried their chocolate, vanilla passion-fruit, carrot cake and gluten free cupcakes. They were all amazing. I ended up ordering half carrot cake and half chocolate cupcakes, as well as a passionfruit cake with mango/cream cheese frosting. I took home a peanut butter cookie and devoured it in the car...it was literally the best peanut butter cookie I have ever tried. My mom took home a chocolate chip cookie, which was great, as well as a chocolate cupcake.We got all of this for a great price, considering the quality and the ingredients.

Stephanie's is a great business with excellent service and WONDERFUL ethics. I am glad to support them.

Pros: great service, 100% vegan, organic ingredients

Up date your website - Edit

I went to this restaurant because of the 'hype'.
Two things, they need to up date their website and lastly, stay open later on a SATURDAY NIGHT.
7 pm on a SATURDAY? Are you kidding me?
This restaurant is only open 3 days a week during the slow months so, I was only able to get some cupcakes and nothing else.
Honestly, I thought the price for the money was way too high and it was above average.
What a downer!

Pros: Cupcake okay , Incomplete, Incomplete

Cons: Limited hours and days, Wrong information given and from the web, Overpriced

Great cupcakes - Edit

After a huge meal at OB Peoples Co-Op we only managed a cup cake each at Stephanie's on our last full day in SD and never got the opportunity to try pizza or strudel. However I have to say that the cupcake was the best I've ever eaten and for once didn't have to worry whether the contents were suitable for vegetarians/vegans etc. Sadly we live in the UK so will have to wait a while before returning for more but we'll definitely be back.

Total Foodgasm!!!! - Edit

Ridiculously good! OMG, orgasmic black forest strudel! Both the savories and the sweets are amazing (I usually get one of each). Ask them to heat up your strudel...that makes such a huge difference!!!!

I also tried the banana chocolate cake on my last visit and it was delish! $6 bucks per slice was kinda painful though. But worth it.

Wish I lived closer to OB...

P.S. They sometimes offer day-old strudels at a discounted price. I tried one the last time I was there (stupid recession!!) and after asking them to heat it up, I thought it tasted fine.

Pros: Vegan Strudel from Heaven!, Amazing cakes, Unique offerings

Cons: Funky hours, Steep prices

Oh My God - Edit

We LOVE Stephanie's Bakery. We have to come here every time we are in San Diego. It's actually the first place we go. We arrive for an early lunch to have some strudel followed by a pizza. Amazing pizza! All gooey and crispy from the oven. We load up on frozen strudels to take home to LA. They are all awesome, sweet or savory, but I particularly love the black forest and samosa. We had their chocolate chocolate cake once and it was good too. If Maria helps us, we've been known to get some lovely samples from her. Yummy.

Pros: strudel, pizza, did I say strudel already?

Cons: too far away!

I've died and gone to Vegan Heaven!! - Edit

If this place was closer to me I would be in there daily! The BEST Vegan Pizza, err, the best PIZZA ever! Vegan or no, this pizza is delicious!! The first time I tried it was at a festival in Balboa Park... "WHAT!?!?!" I practically made out with this slice of Vegan Pepperoni!! Seriously... how do they get the cheese to be so cheesy and creamy and delicious?!?!?! THEN... they gave away FREE black forest strudels at the end of the day... "Oh my friggin' gosh!" Delicious!! It might actually be a sin to eat it... in some very strict religions, in the south. Stephanie, where have you been my whole life? I've since been into the teeny little shop in OB... what I wouldn't give for a location near me in North County.... I don't think they have ANY intention of expanding and opening another store... to my dismay. The pesto pizza... YUM! I think I've tried every single one of the strudels. Spinach is definitely the best savory. Sweet... hmmm... it's a toss up... they are all so good! Oh, and the CAKES!!! MY GOD!! I'm yet to try the sandwiches... I may literally die if I do....

Pros: Pizza, Strudels, LOVE

Cons: Can take a while to make the pizza

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Stephanie's Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.