Steel City Cakes

Contact 0114-2585819

434 -436 Abbeydale Rd, Sheffield, England, S7 1FQ

This bakery cafe makes some vegan cakes and serves coffee and tea. On the weekend only it offers vegan hot dog and veggie burger. Took over the location of the previous V Deli in 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Bakery, English

First Review by itsmeagain

A cake for everyone. - Edit

We love Steel City Cakes. They have a vast range of vegan cakes all the time. Some really unusual flavours available too and all are delicious. Staff are really friendly. We generally get the tasting plate to share which allows you to sample six cakes. Far easier than trying to narrow it down to one!

Pros: Huge selection of vegan cake available, Friendly staff, Good value

Impressive selection of cakes - Edit

I would highly recommend Steel City Cakes. I have visited twice over the last couple of months and really enjoyed both visits.

The first was on mother's day, when I treated my mum to afternoon tea here. They will happily prepare a vegan one for you if you give them a couple of days notice and the afternoon tea itself really has to be seen to be believed. There were three (three!) layers of cakes and biscuits and another layer of sandwiches and sausage rolls beneath. It was all delicious and far too much for two people to consume - luckily they were happy to provide a large quantity of takeaway boxes for us to take the rest home in.

The second time was to order a hot meal - I had the 'chili cheese hotdog' with chips and it was good, although the chili and the cheese made the bread quite wet and mushy so I think I'd have the classic hotdog if visiting again (which I plan to).

All in all it's a really good cafe - as other reviewers have mentioned there are literally millions (!) of vegan cakes on offer and they all look incredible. I will definitely be visiting again soon.

Pros: so many cakes, food, vegan afternoon tea

Cons: cafe is a bit plain, outside location is noisy

So Many Vegan Cakes! - Edit

I visited this cafe bakery for the first time and I was amazed by the number of vegan cakes available. I counted more than twenty different vegan choices, if you include flapjacks and cookies. And the range of flavours - all the favourites like Victoria Sponge and chocolate, but also original ones like Peanut butter, White chocolate & pistachio and Oreo.
The cakes are really light and fluffy and moist too. I can say that confidently because, although they are £2.50 per slice, they do an offer where you can have 6 slices for £6. It seemed a good idea at the time, but once I'd left Steel City Cakes I regretted the impulse to buy 6 different slices of cake. I needn't have worried, because once I got home, the family polished off all six in no time.
Steel City Cakes also have savoury frozen vegan options like burgers, sausages and nut roasts. On special weekends they do set menus for very reasonable prices, but you have to book ahead.

Pros: Lots of choice of delicious vegan cakes, Also teas, coffee, some savoury food, Vegan savoury food options in freezer

Cons: Limited savoury food choice to eat in

Amazing vegan cakes and burgers! - Edit

Just visited Steel City Cakes for the first time, and was met with the biggest display of the biggest vegan cakes I think I have ever seen! My husband and I had two vegan burgers (Classic and Mac & Cheeze) and two cakes (white chocolate and raspberry triple layer cake and pecan pie) between us, all were excellent. Friendly staff too. Will definitely be back!

Pros: Biggest. Vegan. Cakes. Ever., Lots to choose from, Gluten-free vegan cakes too

Steel city cakes...says everything; massive, glorious cakes! - Edit

A fantastic place for some Cake. The slices are always huge and great value, which is what we love in Yorkshire! ;)
They always have a massive range of vegetarian and vegan cakes, and have started doing burgers and other savory snacks too, although fairly heavy on the fake meat side but it's great to see more and more options in the city for Veggies and vegans! Can also get great milkshakes too, which of course can be veganised! The cakes can be quite heavy, and some can be quite sugary tasting, but I loved the black forest and coffee and walnut vegan cakes...amazing, pretty much visit every time I'm back in Sheffield!
The staff all always lovely, polite and always ready to help...especially when you can't make up your mind! ☺

Pros: Vegan friendly, Inexpensive, Friendly staff

Cons: Bit sugary

Great cakes, large slices and vegan! - Edit

Lovely spacious cafe near a busy interchange. Vegan cakes always at least very good, not quite up to Doncaster's 'the enchanted bakerie' in appearance but who cares! Great drinks and friendly smiles all round. Burger's etc on a weekend too. Result!

Pros: Lots of options, catering too, Spacious light environment, Family run and good value

Cons: Parking awkward., Cakes tend towards dense/heavy

The best cakes I have ever ate - Edit

Steel city cakes are delicious with such a wide variety for vegans as well Ive ate multiple times from here and I cant get enough especially at such a fair price and large portions too cant wait for my birthday cake! Try the oreo cake!

Incredible afternoon tea - Edit

With some advanced notice, Steel City Cakes can provide a full vegan afternoon tea. I hadn't been expecting too much, but it was absolutely incredible: two kinds of sandwiches, sausages rolls, hotdogs, cherry and plain scones, lots of petit fours and various cupcakes. There was far too much food to eat in one sitting (and I say this as a supremely greedy person), and thankfully they let us take the leftovers home. It was £25 for two, with free refills, and everything was delicious - really beautifully baked and tasty. Highly recommended!

Pros: Great service, Delicious cakes, Value for money

Excellent vegan cakes - Edit

Frankly the cakes are splendid really. They do vegan cakes and cupcakes, they really are fine. You can take away 3 giant pieces of vegan cake for just 6 pounds, now that is what I call value, it really is . On Sat January 4, my wife and I went in and the cafe was really busy, with just one person doing everything on her own. A thankless task. Then she told us there shall be a delay beforte our slice of vegan choc n raspberry cake is served. When after 20 minutes we did get served the lady was kind enough to bring us a 2nd slab of the same cake..for free....wonderful service, splendid and succulent vegan cakes.....recommended.

Pros: vegan cake on sale, cheap, great pot of tea

Return to Sheffield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Steel City Cakes closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1865 times since Jan 2014.